Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish in Oz

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 21 August  2026, 08:25 AMStill can't believe the amount of rust you guys in the UK deal with!  Nice save Hooli, weird that it didn't give you much warning.  My Bavarian Mistress was rumbling and grumbling for a while when the front went, I have similar photos to you of what came out, sans rust.
I remember a motorcycle mechanic that used to use this forum telling me he has never seen a bearing collapse on a motorcycle. He was in the UK.

Mr Gee

Mr Gee

grog

MrGee, MrGoogle helped me.RNCB, didn't have a clue, totally blinded I was.

Hooli

I ordered Snotbox a cheap chain last night. It's still wearing so fast I'm bored of adjusting it, a bit tight to very baggy in 450 miles. I know I should replace the lot but the sprockets are good and it'll see it through the winter.
Besides it's £70 cheaper than a kit and should last for how long I'll have the heap. If not I'll do it properly next year.

grog

I did similar, bought cheap EK O ring chain to wear out sprockets. Just looked in my maintenance log, now just on 30th ks(19 th miles). Never been adjusted, sprockets still look same. Amazing chain EK and i reckon gear oil lube the best way. Castrol VMX. IMO. Micro fibre cloth and WD40 to clean .

Mr Gee

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 23 August  2026, 03:59 PMMrGee, MrGoogle helped me.RNCB, didn't have a clue, totally blinded I was.

But you have seen the light now, Mr Grog.  :rofl2:
Mr Gee

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

GSXKING

Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 23 August  2026, 06:01 PMI ordered Snotbox a cheap chain last night. It's still wearing so fast I'm bored of adjusting it, a bit tight to very baggy in 450 miles. I know I should replace the lot but the sprockets are good and it'll see it through the winter.
Besides it's £70 cheaper than a kit and should last for how long I'll have the heap. If not I'll do it properly next year.

Perhaps you should invest in front wheel bearings considering your most recent experience with the snot monster 👹
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Hooli

Quote from: GSXKING on Monday, 24 August  2026, 06:38 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 23 August  2026, 06:01 PMI ordered Snotbox a cheap chain last night. It's still wearing so fast I'm bored of adjusting it, a bit tight to very baggy in 450 miles. I know I should replace the lot but the sprockets are good and it'll see it through the winter.
Besides it's £70 cheaper than a kit and should last for how long I'll have the heap. If not I'll do it properly next year.

Perhaps you should invest in front wheel bearings considering your most recent experience with the snot monster 👹
It got new front wheel bearings the same day it got replacement rear ones, as they were bound to be the same age.

GSXKING

I kinda thought that whilst I typed it, always one step ahead Andy 🙏🙏👍👍🤞
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

GSXKING


[/quote]It got new front wheel bearings the same day it got replacement rear ones, as they were bound to be the same age.
[/quote]

Is there a noticeable difference in handling etc. since replacement ?
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Hooli

Quote from: GSXKING on Monday, 24 August  2026, 08:32 AM
QuoteIt got new front wheel bearings the same day it got replacement rear ones, as they were bound to be the same age.

Is there a noticeable difference in handling etc. since replacement ?

Handling nah but it feels like it runs a bit freer and MPG seems up.

Hooli

Hmm bugger, explains the clicking and why it eats the chain though.

Sprocket - 26th Aug 26 (600 x 450).jpg

I'll have to see what the local spares place has tomorrow. Need to try again to get rear pads too, everyone lists FA388 but they are too big and don't fit. I'll take the old ones with me too.

Plan was to use it for a rally this weekend as the weather looks crap and saves having to clean a decent bike.

Btw, is it just me who thinks someone has flipped the sprocket in the past? The wear looks on the wrong side to me.

KiwiCol

It does 'look' wrong to me too, but I believe the hooks form in the direction of the rotation, so yours is right. Buggered, but right.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk