Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

Doesnt it accelerate faster with one less tooth?  Maybe take a few out on the rear to compensate!

Jokes aside, does look to me like its been flipped,  in my experience the wear is always on the driving side, opening up the tooth gap, makes the tops lean away. These look opposite to that.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

That's how I expect to see wear too Eric. I'm kinda doubting the new chain and sprockets the previous owner said it'd had now

Eric GSX1400K3

Yeah nah, no new sprocket on that since it was built
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Irish in Oz

The deposits around the chain and sprocket look similar to what you get from a grinding wheel.

grog

#7399
Gonna be way smoother with a newie, you got new chain as well?Keep the gear oil up to it👍The wear pattern is incorrect imo 388 are fr pads, 261 are rear

Hooli

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 03:19 PMThe deposits around the chain and sprocket look similar to what you get from a grinding wheel.
The speed it eats the chain, that's no surprise. Inside the sprocket cover was the same.

I'll regrease the clutch mech while in here too. They've got a pushrod like a 14 but cable operated, so there's a shaft in the sprocket cover that the cable turns. I greased it last year but it's a bit stiff again now.

Mr Gee

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 10:32 AMThat's how I expect to see wear too Eric. I'm kinda doubting the new chain and sprockets the previous owner said it'd had now

You seem to have a knack, for picking bikes from these sort of owners.  :happy1:  :lol:
Mr Gee

GSXKING

Quote from: Mr Gee on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 05:08 PM
Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 10:32 AMThat's how I expect to see wear too Eric. I'm kinda doubting the new chain and sprockets the previous owner said it'd had now

You seem to have a knack, for picking bikes from these sort of owners.  :happy1:  :lol:

Unfortunately Andy has been the victim of circumstances having had his bike stolen.  :evil:

His resurrection of many peoples and his own bikes is a testament to his nickname @Hooli, problem solver extraordinaire imho  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Hooli

Quote from: Mr Gee on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 05:08 PM
Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 10:32 AMThat's how I expect to see wear too Eric. I'm kinda doubting the new chain and sprockets the previous owner said it'd had now

You seem to have a knack, for picking bikes from these sort of owners.  :happy1:  :lol:

I knew it was a shed when I got it, but it was the cheapest heap on the market that'd work as a winter snotter. I took it apart when I got it to sort a load of things, fit crash bars for when I drop it (it's so high I will, just surprised I haven't yet). I can't actually complain for a £1,200 bike, it's been better than I expected & is more comfy and fun to ride than I thought it would be. Shame it's bent really as I could see it staying for years as it fills the role I got it for really well.

The shop didn't have sprockets in stock today, they'll have them tomorrow. Which screws up my travel timings but can't be helped. I've got rear pads that fit though, can't fit them until I do the sprockets because being a bloody stupid Honda you have to split the rear calliper & remove the pads to get the back wheel out.

I'm watching the weather as I'd rather take another bike but don't want to do hours in the rain & have to clean a decent bike if I don't need too.

Hooli

Quote from: GSXKING on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 05:14 PMHis resurrection of many peoples and his own bikes is a testament to his nickname @Hooli, problem solver extraordinaire imho  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Thanks for the kind words but I just kinda bumble around with spanners & wonder why others do things so badly when it's easier to get it right.

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 04:23 PMGonna be way smoother with a newie, you got new chain as well?Keep the gear oil up to it👍The wear pattern is incorrect imo 388 are fr pads, 261 are rear

I was only planning a new chain to keep it going for a year or two, so yeah I've got a chain waiting. As to oil, I fitted a Scottoiler when I got this, it's for wet/salty/manky weather so seemed the sensible thing to do as I've had good experiences with them over the years.

Handy to know the others are fronts, I've got two pairs of them sent incorrectly now so will end up using them one day.

Hooli

Shock news, the order this morning was just in time to get chucked on today's van so I've just been & collected the sprockets. Now sat with a cuppa watching the rain & wondering why I've got no room in the garage to keep dry.

Boa

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:11 AMShock news, the order this morning was just in time to get chucked on today's van so I've just been & collected the sprockets. Now sat with a cuppa watching the rain & wondering why I've got no room in the garage to keep dry.

Talking of sheds, have you upgraded security on yours Hooli? Those w*nkers could return.
Aka Chris Leam on the original Org.

Phill P

As reported elsewhere checked the oil temp sensor, but also fitted a racetec gear shift support on the Zed. Not needed on the gsx but if you have other bikes it could be worth a look. Definitely made the shift more positive
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Pommeroy

Quote from: Boa on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:52 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:11 AMShock news, the order this morning was just in time to get chucked on today's van so I've just been & collected the sprockets. Now sat with a cuppa watching the rain & wondering why I've got no room in the garage to keep dry.

Talking of sheds, have you upgraded security on yours Hooli? Those w*nkers could return.
Quote from: Boa on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:52 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:11 AMShock news, the order this morning was just in time to get chucked on today's van so I've just been & collected the sprockets. Now sat with a cuppa watching the rain & wondering why I've got no room in the garage to keep dry.

Talking of sheds, have you upgraded security on yours Hooli? Those w*nkers could return.


When I lived in the UK, I fitted an alarm mine in my garage to thwart any angle grinding carrying ne'er do wells...it was bloody scary (don't ask how I know!)  :rolleyes:
There's always room in the world for a bit more tolerance and kindness.

Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk