Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Last night on the way home from a bike night Snotbox started making awful noises & kicking & clunking to the side, that badly I did the last 10 mile at 30mph or so. One of the rear wheel bearings had collapsed, odd I'd had no warning really as it was properly dead. It took an hour to get the outer race out on the side that'd failed as it was well stuck in, I ended up cutting it to bits with a grinding wheel in a dremel before I could hammer it out.
New bearings in each end & test run to another bike night tonight & working as well as ever now.


IMG_20260820_131829.jpg
IMG_20260820_155040.jpg

Hooli

Also, if you recall I've said I need a bike cover on the Bloo Thing as my garage leaks. Well I took some pics to prove it after overnight rain.


IMG_20260820_124714.jpg
IMG_20260820_124742.jpg


Yeah I need to reroof the garage when I can afford it.

Will14

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:22 AMLast night on the way home from a bike night Snotbox started making awful noises & kicking & clunking to the side, that badly I did the last 10 mile at 30mph or so. One of the rear wheel bearings had collapsed, odd I'd had no warning really as it was properly dead. It took an hour to get the outer race out on the side that'd failed as it was well stuck in, I ended up cutting it to bits with a grinding wheel in a dremel before I could hammer it out.
New bearings in each end & test run to another bike night tonight & working as well as ever now.


IMG_20260820_131829.jpg
IMG_20260820_155040.jpg
Totally bust that Hooli, strange you didn't get the usual tell tale signs or noises & pretty lucky she didnt try and throw you off. I take it that the rusty tube on the floor was the bearing driver?  :devil: 

Hooli

Nah that rusty tube is the spacer between the bearings, so it's back in the middle of the wheel now.

Eric GSX1400K3

Still can't believe the amount of rust you guys in the UK deal with!  Nice save Hooli, weird that it didn't give you much warning.  My Bavarian Mistress was rumbling and grumbling for a while when the front went, I have similar photos to you of what came out, sans rust.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:24 AMAlso, if you recall I've said I need a bike cover on the Bloo Thing as my garage leaks. Well I took some pics to prove it after overnight rain.


IMG_20260820_124714.jpg
IMG_20260820_124742.jpg


Yeah I need to reroof the garage when I can afford it.
rain? In the UK? Can't hardly believe that.  Our news is full of pictures and video of how the UK is turning into the next Sahara.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

#7371
Must be a Honda thing Hooli.I had an old 750 Honda, never heard or felt a thing prior, coming home one day all hell broke out. Front wheel bearing just gave up, scary at freeway speed.

Hooli

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 21 August  2026, 08:28 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:24 AMAlso, if you recall I've said I need a bike cover on the Bloo Thing as my garage leaks. Well I took some pics to prove it after overnight rain.


IMG_20260820_124714.jpg
IMG_20260820_124742.jpg


Yeah I need to reroof the garage when I can afford it.
rain? In the UK? Can't hardly believe that.  Our news is full of pictures and video of how the UK is turning into the next Sahara.
Until about Tuesday this week it was, everywhere is still a lovely brown colour.

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Mr Gee

My garage doesn't leak but it does flood.  :sad:

The idiot who erected it and laid the foundation, did so at angle that rain runs down, the door and flows into the garage, causing it to pool inside, like a lake up, to two inches deep, if we have a lot, of rain.  :jack:
Mr Gee

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:11 PMMy garage doesn't leak but it does flood.  :sad:

The idiot who erected it and laid the foundation, did so at angle that rain runs down, the door and flows into the garage, causing it to pool inside, like a lake up, to two inches deep, if we have a lot, of rain.  :jack:
no guttering?

How easily we digress from motorcycle talk...

I have similar standing water issue with a timber pergola I built, the design was for it to have a permeable roof, a 90% uv blocking black mesh screen, the idea being it would let the breeze through but not the heat.  Worked a treat until SWMBO won the argument to put tinted polycarbonate sheeting on. Logic being sound that it would not let rain through.  Issue is I didn't allow any fall in the entire structure, so now water pools on the poly then drips through the gaps between the separate sheets....still blocks the uv though I guess.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

My old shed, 1955 built, $4g new roof, no leaks. Was a skeleton when we bought, good solid concrete floor. Think it's 70 sq metres.

Hooli

Not mine but my mum's bike.

I fitted the new starter motor today so of course it developed a new fault as it's an attention seeking bugger.
Touching the throttle made it cut out every time, but it idled perfectly. It's always had a slight cough when opening the throttle that'd I'd suspected was carb related but I'd never solved before. So I stripped the carb down again and this time found a blocked emulsion tube. That was fun to clean out as the hole up it was tiny, a single strand of copper from a mains power cable fitted through, but two strands wouldn't. It took about 20mins of fiddling to get the dirt completely out so it didn't reblock when blown through, but it's sorted. It's never been happy to idle as low as it will now and responds to the throttle correctly.
My next job is to sell it, anyone want a 250 Virago? Swap for a 14 lol

Mr Gee

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:32 PM
Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:11 PMMy garage doesn't leak but it does flood.  :sad:

The idiot who erected it and laid the foundation, did so at angle that rain runs down, the door and flows into the garage, causing it to pool inside, like a lake up, to two inches deep, if we have a lot, of rain.  :jack:
no guttering?

How easily we digress from motorcycle talk...

I have similar standing water issue with a timber pergola I built, the design was for it to have a permeable roof, a 90% uv blocking black mesh screen, the idea being it would let the breeze through but not the heat.  Worked a treat until SWMBO won the argument to put tinted polycarbonate sheeting on. Logic being sound that it would not let rain through.  Issue is I didn't allow any fall in the entire structure, so now water pools on the poly then drips through the gaps between the separate sheets....still blocks the uv though I guess.

No, I don't have any guttering on the garage door. Who does?  :confused1:
Mr Gee

Hooli

Quote from: Mr Gee on Sunday, 23 August  2026, 06:15 AM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:32 PM
Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 21 August  2026, 06:11 PMMy garage doesn't leak but it does flood.  :sad:

The idiot who erected it and laid the foundation, did so at angle that rain runs down, the door and flows into the garage, causing it to pool inside, like a lake up, to two inches deep, if we have a lot, of rain.  :jack:
no guttering?

How easily we digress from motorcycle talk...

I have similar standing water issue with a timber pergola I built, the design was for it to have a permeable roof, a 90% uv blocking black mesh screen, the idea being it would let the breeze through but not the heat.  Worked a treat until SWMBO won the argument to put tinted polycarbonate sheeting on. Logic being sound that it would not let rain through.  Issue is I didn't allow any fall in the entire structure, so now water pools on the poly then drips through the gaps between the separate sheets....still blocks the uv though I guess.

No, I don't have any guttering on the garage door. Who does?  :confused1:
People who's garage fills up with water when it rains?  :whistling:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk