News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

What did you buy today ???

Started by VladTepes, Friday, 22 June 2018, 03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

The mounting plate is a simple hole that sits over the widest section of the sensor & has two small bolts into the gearbox casing to retain it. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Phill P

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 10:10 PMThanks.  I need to test it again, but its the only thing I can think of that is causing the high fuel burn, (courtesy Hooli's experience as well)

Will pull it out and run a test by heating it slowly in water and monitor the resistance against temperature.

I can modify the mounting plate (retap the thread?) or find an adapter if needed, or something.

Hoping that webike japan comes back with an option as well

I just tested the resistance with a cold engine, then gradually warmed it up and kept checking it

P
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Irish in Oz


[/quote]

I just tested the resistance with a cold engine, then gradually warmed it up and kept checking it

P
[/quote]

The problem with doing it that method, how do you know the calibration of the sensor is correct as you have no temperature indication, the fan could be turning on at 120 degrees instead to say 100, I'm not sure what it turns on at didn't look.

Hooli

The fan is turned on by the sensor at the bottom of the RH front corner of the engine, below the ignition cover. Nothing to do with the oil temp sensor on top of the gearbox that controls the mixture etc.

Irish in Oz

Regardless you still need a resistance and temperature indication.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Phill P on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 11:51 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 10:10 PMThanks.  I need to test it again, but its the only thing I can think of that is causing the high fuel burn, (courtesy Hooli's experience as well)

Will pull it out and run a test by heating it slowly in water and monitor the resistance against temperature.

I can modify the mounting plate (retap the thread?) or find an adapter if needed, or something.

Hoping that webike japan comes back with an option as well

I just tested the resistance with a cold engine, then gradually warmed it up and kept checking it

P
I did similar last time, but using an icypole to cool it and then checking ohms, no way near accurate, but it was just to check that resistance changed with temperature. I'm planning a test that is a bit more scientific.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Irish in Oz

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 08:04 PM
Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 04:53 PMWe had this recently, I stuck up a pic with the dimensions on a 14. I'll find it and repost it again here later on.

As promised.
 
Sizes (450 x 600).jpg
The 23mm long bit at the bottom is the thermowell, that's where the temperature sensor is inside (Thermistor) it will be encapulated and the connection above.

Dwain Dibley

I bought fuel for 14 yesterday 11 lts  £1.85  =  £20   Diesel for van today at £1.93  £50  =   25 Lts   FFS, that's takin the piss. 

D.D.
To Infirmity and Beyond.. :-)

KiwiCol

Quote from: Dwain Dibley on Thursday, 17 September  2026, 08:58 PMI bought fuel for 14 yesterday 11 lts  £1.85  =  £20   Diesel for van today at £1.93  £50  =   25 Lts   FFS, that's takin the piss. 

D.D.

Dwain, my 22' Ali boat has a 270L tank, I don't fill it right to the top,(often) but will run with 200L-240L, that's gonna hurt this year when I fill up for the first time!  The wallet is puckering already just thinking about it, and the best part, it does roughly 1km to 1L. If it were a car you'd just shoot it with a shotgun and leave it, but that's what boats do for use.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 18 September  2026, 05:17 AM
Quote from: Dwain Dibley on Thursday, 17 September  2026, 08:58 PMI bought fuel for 14 yesterday 11 lts  £1.85  =  £20  Diesel for van today at £1.93  £50  =  25 Lts  FFS, that's takin the piss. 

D.D.


Dwain, my 22' Ali boat has a 270L tank, I don't fill it right to the top,(often) but will run with 200L-240L, that's gonna hurt this year when I fill up for the first time!  The wallet is puckering already just thinking about it, and the best part, it does roughly 1km to 1L. If it were a car you'd just shoot it with a shotgun and leave it, but that's what boats do for use.

It's 165K's / 100 miles from our front door to my wife's office in the city.  She doesn't do it every day, but often enough that along with traveling to Parkruns, shops etc pouring fuel into a 4WD turbo diesel Toyota Isn't a rare occurrence !

My bikes have been drinking hell of a lot this year too !

Both could easily be moderated and cut back on, Mrs sold her more economic RAV-4 and doesn't like my smaller Ute, I'm filling up bikes multiple times a week.

We just accept it.  Their a lot of things we are economically with, we do a heap of stuff with a budget in mind. I'd rather dress in rags, eat home brand beans on toast and recycle 10c bottles and cans to be out on the road.

.

Irish in Oz


[/quote]

Dwain, my 22' Ali boat has a 270L tank, I don't fill it right to the top,(often) but will run with 200L-240L, that's gonna hurt this year when I fill up for the first time!  The wallet is puckering already just thinking about it, and the best part, it does roughly 1km to 1L. If it were a car you'd just shoot it with a shotgun and leave it, but that's what boats do for use.
[/quote]

Col my boat has similar size tank, uses about 5 litres an hour cruising. Used to run it on red diesel which has tax exemption in UK but they changed the rules and we now have to use white although plenty are still using red as the authorities are not policing it yet.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 09:18 AMThink they're getting to hens teeth
seems they dont ship to Australia.  Tried to buy 2, it wont process the transaction as the zip code is incorrect.   Sent rhem an email, will keep trying.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

MickyJB

So far I've spent $2353 on diesel since 31/08/26 .. that's got us from home in 'Perth' to border of NSW & Victoria and back to Adelaide .. still 2500klms to go ... 🫣🥴🤣🤣
Mick
08 SE GSX1400 - 03 XJR1300 - 02 ZZR1200 - 2019 FJR1300
Ulysses 69619

Irish in Oz

Go off shore for your next holiday it's cheaper  ;)

KiwiCol

Dwain, my 22' Ali boat has a 270L tank, I don't fill it right to the top,(often) but will run with 200L-240L, that's gonna hurt this year when I fill up for the first time!  The wallet is puckering already just thinking about it, and the best part, it does roughly 1km to 1L. If it were a car you'd just shoot it with a shotgun and leave it, but that's what boats do for use.
[/quote]

Col my boat has similar size tank, uses about 5 litres an hour cruising. Used to run it on red diesel which has tax exemption in UK but they changed the rules and we now have to use white although plenty are still using red as the authorities are not policing it yet.
[/quote]


I burn roughly 25l - 30l and hour, so I use about 40L a time on average, just mucking around here down the river, across the bar and down to Cape Foulwind & back with stops for fishing etc.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk