News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

What did you buy today ???

Started by VladTepes, Friday, 22 June 2018, 03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

Mineral oils all same base spec then an additive package.  Full synthetic probably the same i suppose...

Are we in danger of starting another oil thread....?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

The gun oil I use on my golf club shafts, now that is bloody good oil. Motor oil comments, not from me.😎

Tally

Evaporating cutting oil is what I use in my job (glass cutter)
10w40-Halfords for bike.
Whatever the garage uses for my beemer (530d).

Mr Gee

As you may hae seen else where, I had an electrical problem with my XSR900.  :sad:

Sorted out my meter and battery reading 6.9 Volts.  :whistling:

Mmm. I have had bikes that were 6 Volt, in the days of the dinosaurs but suspect, this isn't right.

Hence, I have just, ordered a new battery from Sportsbikeshop. £49. Not too bad.   :onya:
Mr Gee

KiwiCol

#3694
Hmmm, at 6.9V it's not definitive, but sure sounds like it's getting tired  :imrgreen:  , quick charge and ya might get a few more starts from it :whistling: . . .    Either that or it's absolutely toast - 100%! 
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Mr Gee

Yeah, had just come off an optimate 4, so suspect toast is the answer.  :lol:
Mr Gee

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 06 September  2026, 05:26 PMAll personal preference as long as the correct specs. Mid 80s had a Mate worked at Ampol  refinery Brisbane.His job was mixing oil for diff brands, each one had a recipe.Castrol,BP etc.Was interesting conversations over a few coldies.I know Repco oil is Penrite, Gulf Western also in a generic but have forgotten which.

Yeah, same as fuels here.
There's a lot more brands and servo's than there are refineries.
.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Mr Gee on Monday, 07 September  2026, 01:43 AMAs you may hae seen else where, I had an electrical problem with my XSR900.  :sad:

Sorted out my meter and battery reading 6.9 Volts.  :whistling:

Mmm. I have had bikes that were 6 Volt, in the days of the dinosaurs but suspect, this isn't right.

Hence, I have just, ordered a new battery from Sportsbikeshop. £49. Not too bad.   :onya:

There's a mod for Hayabusa's that hides an extra small high output 12v battery under the tail. The bike charges everything as 12v, everything on the bike runs as 12v, but the starter button briefly feeds the starter motor 24v.

It was designed for highly modified high compression big bore bikes. It absolutely frightens the bike into life!

I have absolutely zero need for it, but it's always amused and entertained me. It's a proper "Sledge hammer to crack a nut" mod for a bike like mine.   I've always been tempted... LOL!
.

KiwiCol

Are you sure it's a 24v whack into the starter Tony? and not just extra cca's?   :confused1:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Yeah Col, it's 24 volt. Way back used to convert old VW 6 volts into 12. Everything changed except starter motor, sure did crank with 12v on 6v starter.

Tony Nitrous

#3700
Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 07 September  2026, 02:23 PMAre you sure it's a 24v whack into the starter Tony? and not just extra cca's?   :confused1:

100% 24v feed.  The original version was used by racers who used a total loss 2nd battery and recharged it off the bike. The later version is smarter and more complicated to charge both 12's but only use the extra one for the starter feed to give 24v.

https://www.dragbike.com/tiger-racing-return-of-the-24volt-starter-auto-charge-harness/

The one I saw mounted the second battery in the nose to keep the weight forward.
.

Hooli

Quote from: Tally on Sunday, 06 September  2026, 07:55 PM10w40-Halfords for bike.

Can you still get that, it's not in my local store any more & when I last looked I couldn't find it online.

Tally

Just had a look online @hoooli it's in stock at my local (Aylesbury)

Hooli

Quote from: Tally on Tuesday, 08 September  2026, 01:52 AMJust had a look online @hoooli it's in stock at my local (Aylesbury)

Interesting, they don't list it around here. The useless buggers!

Irish in Oz

Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Monday, 07 September  2026, 04:29 PM
Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 07 September  2026, 02:23 PMAre you sure it's a 24v whack into the starter Tony? and not just extra cca's?   :confused1:

100% 24v feed.  The original version was used by racers who used a total loss 2nd battery and recharged it off the bike. The later version is smarter and more complicated to charge both 12's but only use the extra one for the starter feed to give 24v.

https://www.dragbike.com/tiger-racing-return-of-the-24volt-starter-auto-charge-harness/

The one I saw mounted the second battery in the nose to keep the weight forward.

I used to do similar in the high speed automation game where mainly 24V DC is used, only I would use 12V DC actuators, this made them  work faster, however I was only pulsing them if the higher voltage is held for long periods it will reduce their life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk