News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

gearbox / clutch issue - loud shifting

Started by maanieek, Saturday, 12 September 2026, 06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Nitrous

On a similar topic, and one I found interesting.

Gen-3 Hayabusa.
The AU and US service schedules are listed in the handbook side by side.

Both countries have vaguely similar weather, distances, temps etc.

The AU recommended service intervals are 12,000K's, double those for the US, and AU then gets a longer factory warranty. Suzuki are happy to leave the oil in on a sporty bike for 12,000K's and guarantee it.

It's been discussed a few times but no one has ever found a solid proven reason why.

.

KiwiCol

Could be because a lot of sport bikes get ridden harder, rev higher and get hotter, thus heating the oil enough to get rid of any water or petrol.   :confused1:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Barbastro K6

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 05:02 AM
Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 07:30 PMBarbastro, I try my arse out to understand your input, sometimes I get confused. Sometimes I get confused in normal life so don't concern🏅

Yeah, a bit hard to decipher for sure.  My take on what he's saying is if it had a drain circuit built into the cooler lines, you would be able to get more of the oil out. Then goes on to explain (ex a French manual) the oiling system circuitry.   He does this using Google Translator, and presumably, reads everything here using the translator as well, and it would appear how some words are written in Spanish don't come out too well when literally converted to English.   Case in point: 
Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 16 September  2026, 05:02 AM
Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 07:30 PMBarbastro, I try my arse out to understand your input, sometimes I get confused. Sometimes I get confused in normal life so don't concern🏅

Yeah, a bit hard to decipher for sure.  My take on what he's saying is if it had a drain circuit built into the cooler lines, you would be able to get more of the oil out. Then goes on to explain (ex a French manual) the oiling system circuitry.   He does this using Google Translator, and presumably, reads everything here using the translator as well, and it would appear how some words are written in Spanish don't come out too well when literally converted to English. 



that's how it is.

certain you

Hooli

Could be that water cooled bikes run at a more constant temp so reduce oil breakdown and contamination from piston blow by?

I've noticed generally air cooled stuff does have shorter oil change intervals.

Tony Nitrous

I was just wondering why a bike in the US and an identical one in AU, doing the same distances, the same weather, the same temps, absolutely no major difference in their build or use...

One has double the service intervals of the other, and the one with the longer service intervals gets a longer factory warranty.

 :confused1:

.

Hooli

Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Thursday, 17 September  2026, 04:45 PMI was just wondering why a bike in the US and an identical one in AU, doing the same distances, the same weather, the same temps, absolutely no major difference in their build or use...

One has double the service intervals of the other, and the one with the longer service intervals gets a longer factory warranty.

 :confused1:


Aye that makes no sense to me either, the only difference I'd expect is possibly the grade of oil depending on ambient temps for different markets. Mind you I have heard of it before with other vehicles.

maanieek

Whoa! A bit of a war broke out there. But maybe that's a good thing. I decided to try something different, though: pre-loading the gear lever while simultaneously easing off the throttle and pulling in the clutch during acceleration. For downshifting, I do the same thing, only I add throttle instead of easing off. And let me tell you, it's amazing—all the issues are gone. Somehow, other motorcycles weren't as sensitive to poor shifting technique. Now it's great. :)

GSXKING

Glad you've adapted to the GSX mate. Wishing you many years and time riding your bike.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk