News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

gearbox / clutch issue - loud shifting

Started by maanieek, Saturday, 12 September 2026, 06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

The oil flow circuit is shown in the manual, afaik its vented into the crank case and breather via the airbox.  No risk of running with no oil as long as the pick up is below the oil fill level, so in a nutshell you can drain the oil cooler if you want, then fill as normal and run the engine. May need to fill more than the std 4.2l oil change volume though.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Phill P

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 14 September  2026, 07:37 PMYou can crack the pipe connector to the oul cooler,but risk leaking from there forever after.  Most dont bother and just rely on frequent oil changes every 5000km or 12 months (monthly in Hooli's case, 12years for Notty)

Do the oil pipes tend to leak after draining the oil cooler as I was thinking of doing this on the next oil change .

Paul
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Hooli

Quote from: Phill P on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 12:18 AM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 14 September  2026, 07:37 PMYou can crack the pipe connector to the oul cooler,but risk leaking from there forever after.  Most dont bother and just rely on frequent oil changes every 5000km or 12 months (monthly in Hooli's case, 12years for Notty)

Do the oil pipes tend to leak after draining the oil cooler as I was thinking of doing this on the next oil change .

Paul

No, it's sealed by an O-ring. I've never had one leak after disturbing it. Just make sure you don't trap any dirt under the sealing face or on the o-ring if/when you drop it as it falls out of it's slot.

Phill P

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 12:35 AM
Quote from: Phill P on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 12:18 AM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 14 September  2026, 07:37 PMYou can crack the pipe connector to the oul cooler,but risk leaking from there forever after.  Most dont bother and just rely on frequent oil changes every 5000km or 12 months (monthly in Hooli's case, 12years for Notty)

Do the oil pipes tend to leak after draining the oil cooler as I was thinking of doing this on the next oil change .

Paul

No, it's sealed by an O-ring. I've never had one leak after disturbing it. Just make sure you don't trap any dirt under the sealing face or on the o-ring if/when you drop it as it falls out of it's slot.

Cheers, I'll go ahead and do this on the next oil change  :cheers:
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 14 September  2026, 07:37 PMMost dont bother and just rely on frequent oil changes

Absolutely.

Frequent oil changes are by far the best way, even though an oil cooler draining would be a help (I never do) you are never going to get ALL the old oil out. If you are super fussy about your oil (I'm not and I've never had a drama) then regular or more frequent changes is the easiest way to help get the old stuff out.

I have run a few bikes to the book, 12000K's / 7,500 miles / warranty service recommendation, and have never had issues, but I do feel more comfortable doing them a bit sooner.

All mine run the same oil, so an oil / oil filter is always mixing same with same. I'm not using an oil change to change the grade of "most" of my oil.

Can of worms, but I just thought it was worth a mention as to how much most folk don't change.



.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 12:35 AM
Quote from: Phill P on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 12:18 AM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 14 September  2026, 07:37 PMYou can crack the pipe connector to the oul cooler,but risk leaking from there forever after.  Most dont bother and just rely on frequent oil changes every 5000km or 12 months (monthly in Hooli's case, 12years for Notty)

Do the oil pipes tend to leak after draining the oil cooler as I was thinking of doing this on the next oil change .

Paul

No, it's sealed by an O-ring. I've never had one leak after disturbing it. Just make sure you don't trap any dirt under the sealing face or on the o-ring if/when you drop it as it falls out of it's slot.

I bought a packet of O-rings.

Guess who has to get the oil filter out from behind his Yoshi Cycline full system.
.

grog

Oil n filter every 5 thou k. Not at all concerned about what doesn't come out, pretty much same deal every machine made. 🤷🏼

Barbastro K6

If the oil that goes to the radiator had a simple circuit going to the radiator or to 6 in yectors at head and after returning to the carter, then the radiator could be drained without any problem.

But it's not like that.

There are two oil circuits: one that only sends oil to the 6 injectors in the cylinder head and another that lubricates the entire system AFTER passing through the radiator.

I add explicit text taken from the manual of the French publisher ETAI (page 5) and that I proposed adding to manuals here:

The well-known patent, on which the legendary robustness was built
GSX-R "SACS" engines, is renewed; namely a circulation
oil forced and fed by a double body oil pump, which
is driven by a pinion placed behind the clutch bell.
One of the pump bodies provides lubrication for the motor and the
gearbox as well as oil cooling, via a radiator mounted
facing the road and equipped with a motorized fan controlled by a thermal
monocontact, while the other is used exclusively for cooling the cylinder head, for which particular care is always taken.
For this purpose, the total oil capacity has been re-evaluated by more than one
liter (5.7 l. compared to 4.6 on the 1200)

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 04:42 PMOil n filter every 5 thou k. Not at all concerned about what doesn't come out, pretty much same deal every machine made. 🤷🏼

Exactly.

I do 4k miles as the 5 thou k works out at just over 3.1k miles & that just seems too low to me. 4k is easy to remember & add to the mileage to know when the next one is due as well.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 04:42 PMOil n filter every 5 thou k. Not at all concerned about what doesn't come out, pretty much same deal every machine made. 🤷🏼

Yeah, same here.
My post was only really aimed at those who think it's out with the old, in with the new and they had totally changed to another brand or all fresh.

19 years on my B-King, and never once have I made the effort to drin the oil cooler, or my Busa's. It is what it is.
.

Kiwifruit

5000km oil and filter changes for me. Finding a brand of oil that you like makes a world of difference to gear changes. I used $160 worth of high performance oil early on hoping to improve gear changes, I couldn't drain it out fast enough. So it's not always the most expensive oil that gives the best results. As for engaging 1st gear, don't tickle it, stand on it.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

grog

Agree Col, Choose your go to oil, i also found most expensive worst, !st gear is just 1st gear, it clunks, lurches. Load of crap trying to fix it, just what they all do. Not even worth discussing.  :confused1:

grog

Barbastro, I try my arse out to understand your input, sometimes I get confused. Sometimes I get confused in normal life so don't concern🏅

Barbastro K6

wrong thinking organ......translator dixit :hat:

KiwiCol

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 15 September  2026, 07:30 PMBarbastro, I try my arse out to understand your input, sometimes I get confused. Sometimes I get confused in normal life so don't concern🏅

Yeah, a bit hard to decipher for sure.  My take on what he's saying is if it had a drain circuit built into the cooler lines, you would be able to get more of the oil out. Then goes on to explain (ex a French manual) the oiling system circuitry.   He does this using Google Translator, and presumably, reads everything here using the translator as well, and it would appear how some words are written in Spanish don't come out too well when literally converted to English.   Case in point:  " to the radiator or to 6 in yectors at head and "  I reckon it means Injectors here.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk