News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

A Sting in the Tail

Started by Speedy1959, Wednesday, 18 August 2021, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

This is nothing for my Aussie cousins but for me it was a big deal......

Twas last Thursday at around 6pm that I got out of my car and nonchalantly picked up the empty bin bags stuck in my railings..
As I approached my door key in hand I felt a very sharp stabbing pain between my thumb and finger on my right hand..
I didn't even see the Wasp that had stung me as I dropped the bin bags and violently shook my hand..

I took anti histamines straight away and through the night, not thinking anything more about it.. I have been stung before but this one was exceptionally painful!

The next day at work my hand was swelling more and more and I could move my fingers less and less..
What I didn't like was the fact that the swelling was going up my forearm towards my elbow..

I decided to get a friend to take my to Lancaster Hospital (Just in case)...

Little did I know!!!!!
The Doctor said "That's very dangerous, and you need to be kept in for IV drugs and possibly an operation"!!

He took blood samples straight away..
Very soon I was on an IV drip with large amounts of an antibiotic, because my old friend Sepsis was back!!
If that wasn't enough, due to the location of the sting I was in the early stages of "Compartment syndrome" (Google it), so I was also on large amounts of an IV steroid..

Many years ago I used to have a Horse.. I developed a back pain which I assumed was through a strain from generally looking after / riding the Horse.
Then I got what I thought was flu as I had a temperature..
I left in nearly 4 weeks because "I didn't want to bother the Doctor"..
That turned out to be Staphylococcal septicemia!
My delay in seeing the Doctor nearly killed me..
7 weeks in hospital and after hospital 48 anti biotic tablets a day for the next 5 weeks!!

So this time I got in early and my hospital stay was just 2 days and 2 nights (and 8 tablets a day for the next 10 days)
Bikes may be dangerous..
But so are infections !!

VladTepes

Harden Up Princess !  :D


Glad you're ok !
Ottomans: 'Hippity hoppity, Vienna's our property"
...and then the Winged Hussars arrived.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"
YouTube:  LandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

That sounds bloody awful Si!  Glad you got onto it early else it could of been much worse.  Least you're on the mend now.  :onya:

Had you have been riding, you would of had your gloves on & no sting, there's a lesson there somewhere . . . .   :confused1: :imrgreen:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

At least here in Oz if you get a decent sting or bite you know to go to hospital straight away as we have most of the critters that can kill you.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

seth

Not good mate .
I've been stung before but the ones this year seam much stronger in the sting than years ago .
I got stung neatly 2 weeks ago and it's healing but slowly .
Just as I was having my first pint in over 2 years .
It stung several time and blood came out as it flew off my arm was swollen for a couple of days but nothing like as bad as you mate .
Get well soon .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

VladTepes

Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 18 August  2021, 10:23 PM
I've been stung before but the ones this year seam much stronger in the sting than years ago .

Its not the insects mate, it's you.

And the rest of us.

Aging.
Ottomans: 'Hippity hoppity, Vienna's our property"
...and then the Winged Hussars arrived.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"
YouTube:  LandyVlad Rides

Kiwifruit

As soon as you stop aging you're brown bread. I'm happy aging..... but slowly would be best  ::onya:

Sorry you blokes got stung looks unpleasant.
Get well  :cheers:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

grog

Those holes look like super wasps. Ive had lots of wasp bites, i swell up like a balloon. Never had a huge hole like you blokes.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: grog on Thursday, 19 August  2021, 07:18 PM
Those holes look like super wasps. Ive had lots of wasp bites, i swell up like a balloon. Never had a huge hole like you blokes.

It's all relative grog, they just have small hands
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

GSXKING

That sting site still looks nasty. I've never been stung by a wasp thankfully.  :hat:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Irish in Oz

European wasp! If so what's it doing in Blackpool. I'm just glad we don't have snakes in Ireland.

GSXKING

You have snakes mate  :whistling: they're upright and working as politicians  :cheers:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk