News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Oil Temperature sensor

Started by RipleyRich, Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCol

#75
This is a chart I made up for the GSX years ago Eric, it's using a max full tank  (22.5L) for total distance calculations. Shows MPG, K/L and L/100k. 

Your target of 5.6 - 5.7l/100k, is absolutely achievable, but still pretty optimistic for regular riding, because we tend to use the right wrist a bit. Mid 6's would be pretty acceptable. On an economy run you could get it into the low 5's or high 4's, but who rides a GSX like that?

Just explain the green & red bits. The Green is when the wee fuel symbol will come on, and how far you can still travel at your current fuel  use and how far you have travelled from the last fill up. 
The red is when the last bar will also begin flashing as well as the wee bowser symbol. When both start flashing, you have 1.75L left and tells you how far you can go on that remaining fuel.  Now these remaining L are for my K6, I know some earlier ones the lights came on at different levels remaining. It's in your handbook for your year.


Range.png


😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

Cheers Col, gives a target range to aim at. Much appreciated mate.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Update of sorts, been too busy too ride during the week, plus a weekend away on the Bavarian Mistress kinda got in the way.

New Amazon sensors arrived, tested both, one started cold at around 12 kOhm and went all the way down to 0.4kOhm at 110deg oil temp. Annoyingly its the one that looks most like the oem one, complete with proper brass body plus plug and leads.

The second one matches the oem temp vs kohm profile very well, starting at 63kohm at 20deg c and ending up at around 2-3kohm at 110, so promising there.  It has bullet connectors and would require splicing into the oem lead, which im a bit reluctant to do as these sensors are unobtainium.  I still need to take it for a ride to verify the high consumption rate before I decide to do that, however I may decide to butcher the other sensors lead and use that, or find a suitable connector and repin it properly.  Then i need to find a way to fit the new sensor to the oem mounting plate and use the original o ring to keep the oil in. I have some nickel plated thin locking nuts im thinking of using, work in progress.

Best candidate, matches oem closely:
Screenshot_20260926_120214_Amazon Shopping.jpg


Looks pretty but no good, 0.4kohm at 110dec C:
Screenshot_20260926_120148_Amazon Shopping.jpg

15aud each for these sensors from Amazon
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk