News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

gear shifting opinions on motorcycles

Started by MickyJB, Tuesday, 29 September 2026, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickyJB

No gear changing issues, no false neutrals on my GSX1400, XJR1300, ZZR1200 or FJR1300


Mick
08 SE GSX1400 - 03 XJR1300 - 02 ZZR1200 - 2019 FJR1300
Ulysses 69619

Eric GSX1400K3

Best shifting bike ive owned was my 08 Triumph Daytona 675, so neat and slick and positive, just awesome.  Never got around to fitting a quickshifter but I heard that makes them nice.  Maybe one day as a track bike
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Worst so far is the bmw, clunks into first gear like a sledgehammer
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

My best gear shift is a GSX14, it's one of the things that makes them so nice to ride. Only mod they need at higher miles is the bushes replacing with metal ones, as I've done on both of mine.

The worst is any Honda, every one I've owned or ridden prefers neutral to whatever gear you select. They all seem to go into gear & fall straight back out again. very annoying when riding.

Daytona

Both my current bikes are equipped with quick shifters,,to be honest I'd find it hard to go back to normal,,,,not that there was anything wrong with the gear shifting on my 14...

Tally

Nothing wrong with my 14 , just hold the clutch in for a slow 10 count while the plates free up 1st gear clicks into place the rest I do clutchless, never found a false neutral on any Suzuki I've owned over many years.

grog

Owned many bikes, most had great gearchange.Probably worst was CB750 Honda, probably best the old Suzuki 2 strokes. Strangest was Kawa 500 with neutral at the bottom.14 has best clutch I've had.

Mr Gee

I only, ever use my clutch for the initial take off.  :onya:
Mr Gee

grog

Pretty true, I grab at the lever, habit, doubt I ever pull it in much.

Hooli

Depends on what I'm doing for me, I do use it when moving but not most of the time. Even the HD only gets about 1/4" of lever movement to unload the drive train as it still doesn't like clutchless changes but is improving slowly as the mileage goes up.

That's one to mention here actually. A new HD feels like you need both feet to stamp on the pedal to get any gears, they are very clunky & slow to bed in. 15k miles before they feel like a gearbox & double that before it becomes easy to use. Of course most people claim you can't find neutral on a HD, but that's because they don't adjust the clutch pushrod as required. They're like an old Brit bike in that way.

Kiwifruit

I still dip the clutch both up and down.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

grog

I once owned LE Velocette and 1937 HD. You blokes wouldnt believe their gear change ritual.pommy gearboxes were pretty good,Burmann had it nailed.

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

MickyJB

Mick
08 SE GSX1400 - 03 XJR1300 - 02 ZZR1200 - 2019 FJR1300
Ulysses 69619

Tony Nitrous

My Gen-2, Gen-3 Busa's and B-King gear change should be the same.
They are pretty similar bikes and 1340 engines. 
All run in and serviced, none have high mileage.

I can tell a small difference between the 07 B-King and the 22 Busa, but the 2011 Busa is noticeably better. Identical motor to the B-King, but the gear change just feels more accurate and sharp on the 2011, hard to describe but more precise is close.

Gen-3 has a different clutch I might change one day, fit a B-King or Gen-2 or Brocks version.  All 3 have Suzuki's crappy BTL.

Like Mr Daytona, I love my 2-way auto blipper quickshifter.
I thought it'd be a novelty like cruise control, 6 or 7 years of regular use I don't want a main bike that hasn't got a 2-way quick shifter or cruise control again.  It wasn't a big deal when I got it, many many rides and many thousands of miles use it's become my normal. 



.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk