News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Lees first 1400 new bike day, to me

Started by Lee27475, Sunday, 27 September 2026, 06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee27475

Good evening everyone, well my new to me very first 1400 has arrived, first thoughts!!!! Well it has never been cleaned i dont think, it was absolutely filthy,  the aliminium side bits has oxidised pritty bad but will defo buff up nice, its been in a garage for a long time just brought out for mot i have been told by the owner and a bit of a run after mot sometimes for a few years, he has owned it from new, i have a stack of paperwork including service book and initial receipt when he bought it new, registration date 01/09/2001, I have spent most of the afternone cleaning it best I can for now, its cleaned up lovely and the all paint work is lovely no rust in or on the tank all plastics very nice condition, only after market i can see on it are the cans, everything else is standard,I will be giving a complete service, check over and see if I can get a ride on it before the weather lockes us in. I have plans for this over the winter but love to ride it just to get the feel of it, mileage is 6860 if I remember correctly, is there anything I should check thats not obvious before I take her out for a good ride?. Thanks guys what do you think?.
Also quote
He sent a rust free spare fuel tank k2 also,he said he bought it as a just incase, also oem exhausts.

Stepdoug

Lookz OK. Everything is doable,  I would think main starting points could be t bag filter in tank , throttle body balance, check tyre dates , believe me uou done want old tyres on it, they delaminate. As I found out . Pretty sure others will come up with a lot of other bits,  grease bearings brakd and clutch pipes  all fluids , many other bits. But have fun doing and learning thd bike

KiwiCol

That sure does look very tidy for a 25 year old bike Lee. Well done. :clapping:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Lee27475

Quote from: Stepdoug on Sunday, 27 September  2026, 07:03 AMLookz OK. Everything is doable,  I would think main starting points could be t bag filter in tank , throttle body balance, check tyre dates , believe me uou done want old tyres on it, they delaminate. As I found out . Pretty sure others will come up with a lot of other bits,  grease bearings brakd and clutch pipes  all fluids , many other bits. But have fun doing and learning thd bike
brilliant, thank you, are these bearing not sealed type? I have checked for play all seems ok headstock to, tyres are 2015 so they will be done monday, thanks for the heads up mate, appreciate it.

Lee27475

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 27 September  2026, 07:11 AMThat sure does look very tidy for a 25 year old bike Lee. Well done. :clapping:
thank you mate, when if first come off delivery truck I was like what the hell have i bought lol, looks so much better after a scrub. Thank you mate

Mr Gee

Looks real nice and with less, than 7000 on the clock, it's not even close, to being worn in.  :clapping:
Mr Gee

Lee27475

Quote from: Mr Gee on Sunday, 27 September  2026, 07:22 AMLooks real nice and with less, than 7000 on the clock, it's not even close, to being worn in.  :clapping:
Mr Gee, thank you mate, tyres are 11 years old what are you guys running on this type or what is people using, there is Michelin on it right now,

KiwiCol

Mitchy Road 6 would be a favourite on here. But each to their own.  Now, seeing as how you're new here, just a tip for ya, don't put full syn oil in it. Use semi Syn of your favourite brand. Full syn doesn't seem to go well with the 1402 engine. To be fair, I know some guys do use it, and are happy with it, but I also know of a lot of others who couldn't get it out of the bike fast enough. 

Been a while since we had an oil or tire discussion . . .   :stir:  :whistling:  :happy1:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

A brand new K2 fuel tank is truly unicorn poo.  Well done, she sure does scrub up nicely
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

GSXKING

Should have taken a before photo as well.
Bloody amazingly low mileage.
Was the previous owner a member here ?
I've had mine since October 2001 and done 180,000kms+ it doesn't look remotely as good as yours.

I'd be checking everything rubber as lack of use can cause deterioration.
Definitely get the tyres changed I've heard horror stories about guys just going for a quick spin and binning it because tyres lacked grip.

You're in for a treat once you get it road ready 🙏🙏👍👍
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

GSXKING

Been a while since we had an oil or tire discussion . . .   :stir:  :whistling:  :happy1:
[/quote]

Please don't go there Col 🙏🙏🙀
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

grog

Great basis for a superb bike.Complete, low ks.TLC is your new project.👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk