News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

Oil Temperature sensor

Started by RipleyRich, Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

Ok, so ive ordered these two, hope they have the same NTC curve. If not, 40AUD in the hole.

Sorry Irish, wanted to order the sensor you found, but they want 45AUD shipping for a 15AUD part.

I have an idea for the retaining plate, and hopefully I can repin the plug end so that I don't lose the factory plug, otherwise I'll make up an adapter piece.

Screenshot_20260926_120148_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20260926_120214_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Irish in Oz

It's not rocket science I hope it all works.

grog

14 has a rocket up its arse so therefore we must require rocket science😎

Eric GSX1400K3

OK, so delving into this a bit more, and im no electronics specialist, but I understand the basics. 

Using the equivalent resistance formula, I agree with Irish that in order to fool the ecu that its seeing 2.5kohm at the sensor, I need 6.5-6.6kohm in parallel.

So my understanding is also that to wire in parallel,  I'd need to connect any additional resistance to both wires of the sensor.

I guess my question for Irish is, can I use one of these variable potentiometers? This would allow the "dialling-in" of the optimal resistance, effectively allowing on the fly fuel trim adjustment.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/10k-ohm-linear-b-single-gang-16mm-potentiometer/p/RP7510

My other question is, is the normal running temperature of the oil 110deg C or lower? 

This is why im thinking of putting in a variable resistor, this allows tuning to compensate for cooler running.

Required resistances are:20260928_110311.jpg
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Plotted my measured values against the manual required values, its actually close, the only two variations are at 50deg C, my sensor reads -9% lower than it should (16.3kohm vs 17.8kohm required) and at 110deg c it reads 38% higher (4.0kohm measured vs 2.5kohm required.

Also weirdly, at 20deg c I read 62.0 and at 19 I read 50.8kohm, when it should read higher than 62.2kohm, however it was holding the sensor in my hand, not in oil at 20deg c.
20260928_115527.jpg
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

I'd doubt the oil is normally at 110c myself. Just because of how rarely the fans ever kick in and that's triggered at 120c.
From memory those screw in oil temp gauges that replace the oil cap show 80-90c when riding, but as they mainly read the air and flung oil around the clutch I've no idea how accurate they are.

Somewhere I've got a dirt cheap thermistor with the sensor on the end of a thin wire. I got it years ago for a car where you needed to know the gearbox oil temp to top it up.
Something like it dipped in the sump past the clutch after a good run on the bike would give a clue. Unless you can think of a place to fit it.

grog

I've checked mine a few times with infra red thermometer,  screw in gauge not that far off. Most I've seen was just over 90c, very hot day. Usual riding summertime around 80. I never get stuck in traffic so no idea of heat soak in that situation.Ive looked at the fan position, only partly covers cooler, bad design, not that I've ever had mine on.I can remember T24& Andre discussing fitting thermostat as they thought 14 running too cold.Someone else used too cover the oil cooler to raise temp, cold climate I guess.As far as resistors, can wires be just cut and suitable fitted for normal running temp?🤷🏼

Eric GSX1400K3

Yes, I was thinking 80deg C would be common.  Then this is the conundrum, the graph shows the resistance is spot on for that temp, i.e sensor working fine so why does she drink 2x as much fuel as normal?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

Have you checked IAT sensor, high resistance there will richen mixture.

Barbastro K6

I see here a high level of imagination of free minds that confirm that a mind in motion never stops moving forward.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: grog on Monday, 28 September  2026, 03:23 PMHave you checked IAT sensor, high resistance there will richen mixture.
will do, thanks mate.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

13650-56B00. $145 Mick Hone. They fit numerous cars, outboards. $20 eBay.

Eric GSX1400K3

IAT checks out, 4.8V at the connector with ign on, 2.38kOhm across the sensor pins with ign off and 19deg C ambient.  Manual says 2.6kohm at 20deg C.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

That doesn't leave many reasons for excessive fuel consumption then.

Eric GSX1400K3

Nope. Will try a bottle of injector cleaner and run a tank of 95RON through it, need to go on a long ride to get an accurate mpg / l/100km reading.  Should be around 5.6-5.7 average I believe.

Otherwise im chasing 👻
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk