News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Oil Temperature sensor

Started by RipleyRich, Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

I've signed and created an account, works so far.  81 usd including delivery via DHL.

Will wait and see, plus i need to complete my test and theres a few similar sensors on AMAZON as well.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

#46
Tested the sensor tonight, still need to tabulate the results properly.

I used new engine oil, heated up slowly on a camping stove, fire blanket and extinguisher at the ready.  Starting at ambient (17deg C) then 20deg C, 50 etc.  Figured that's better than testing water, as oil is denser and has a different heat capacity, plus is closer to actual operating conditions.

In accordance to the workshop manual set points, I get;

62.2kOhm at 20deg C
16.3kOhm at 50deg C
6.8kOhm at 80deg C
4.0kOhm at 110deg C

Close, but it seems at higher oil temp, the error is worse, almost 100% out (should be 2.5kOhm)at 110 deg C.

I let the oil heat up further and i got:
2.5kOhm at 136deg C!

So I still suspect sensor is failing or faulty, causing high(er) fuel burn at hot engine temps.

Thoughts?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

The two I've known fail have both gone high resistance so it'd figure they're inaccurate at high temps first.

Barbastro K6

perfect multicultural teamwork!

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 24 September  2026, 11:08 PMThe two I've known fail have both gone high resistance so it'd figure they're inaccurate at high temps first.
yes, but id expect them to fail "spectacularly", like your did, showing like 1000kOhm at ambient, or open circuit (infinite resistance), not just be almost accurate (except where it matters).

Anyway, will order one off Amazon that I think might work and see how that goes.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

You know a lot more than me about such things. I just thought they might slowly fail until it ends up a high resistance. I'm not sure how they work for if that's realistic or not though.

Eric GSX1400K3

Just got a call from my local Suzuki dealer, confirming these sensors are discontinued and no aftermarket equivalent part no available. I think the Amazon option is looking good.  I also checked at Jaycar electronics, nothing similar there either.

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Blubber

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September  2026, 12:03 PMJust got a call from my local Suzuki dealer, confirming these sensors are discontinued and no aftermarket equivalent part no available. I think the Amazon option is looking good.  I also checked at Jaycar electronics, nothing similar there either.



Curious to know what type of sensor you ordered.

ATM I think the NTC Suzuki used is a 50KOhm with a B value of 3950K but i would like to get some confirmation from the calibration team at work or from you and Irish
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

grog

Got an email from YUMBO, order cancelled, guessing they had it listed without checking if available.Refund from PayPal in progress, I hope. 😎 We keep on searching.

grog

Money back, took PayPal whole of 5 minutes👍

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 25 September  2026, 03:17 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September  2026, 12:03 PMJust got a call from my local Suzuki dealer, confirming these sensors are discontinued and no aftermarket equivalent part no available. I think the Amazon option is looking good.  I also checked at Jaycar electronics, nothing similar there either.



Curious to know what type of sensor you ordered.

ATM I think the NTC Suzuki used is a 50KOhm with a B value of 3950K but i would like to get some confirmation from the calibration team at work or from you and Irish
cheers, haven't ordered anything yet. Irish advised of what seemed to be a suitable sensor with a matching curve.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

finding what fits  and right specs, very difficult. If mine totally failed, no sensor available, id install resistor for  usual running temp when warm. Cold start , warming up, difficult but better than not riding. Not using bike, sitting for years,i find that ridiculous.   

Eric GSX1400K3

Yeah I reckon thats the go if we can't find a suitable replacement.  Issue is what resistance value? Id be tempted to set it to the lowest (2.5kOhm at 110deg C).  But mines already at 4KOhm, so not sure how to reduce that further...
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Irish in Oz


SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk