News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

Misfire and running rich

Started by Panda1404, Sunday, 26 June 2022, 01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 24 February  2025, 08:22 PMWhen I had a problem with the oil temps sensor the readings were very out.

As an estimation from the graph in the manual it's about 100k Ohm at 0c, I was seeing over 1,000k Ohm.
at least you still got an Ohm reading, as a fully failed sensor would read infinite resistance.  Been o/s for the past 8 days, hope to get some shed time in soon.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Wednesday, 26 February  2025, 07:32 PM
Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 24 February  2025, 08:22 PMWhen I had a problem with the oil temps sensor the readings were very out.

As an estimation from the graph in the manual it's about 100k Ohm at 0c, I was seeing over 1,000k Ohm.
at least you still got an Ohm reading, as a fully failed sensor would read infinite resistance.  Been o/s for the past 8 days, hope to get some shed time in soon.

Aye but because I got a reading I didn't get a FI light for it. As it pretty much just tests something is connected. There's no logic such as oil temp & intake temp are so far apart it's illogical.

T 24

I had that running rich problem in my 14 ten years ago.
Finally I found it. It was poor grounding of ECU..
Also the other groundings were poor. battery-engine-throttle bodies, but ECU was the reason.

Daaef

Thanks for all the advice - turned out to be TPS/STPS and air filter on top of the previously mentioned IAP sensor.
Wish I'd read the posts about the Hiflo filters before buying one but at least could return it before going OEM.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Daaef on Monday, 24 February  2025, 08:19 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 06 February  2025, 08:59 PMWith ignition off, resistance FROM the sensor should be 61.3k Ohm at 20deg C oil temp.  Currently here it's 34deg C ambient, bike hadn't run in 24h, so I assumed oil would be at around similar. I got 31.8kOhm at the sensor.  As a check, I got an icypole out of the freezer and put that on the sensor top whilst checking resistance.  This sensor has an inverse relationship between temperature and resistance (i.e reduced resistance as temperature increases).  I watched the resistance slowly count up as my icypole sat on the sensor.  This confirmed that the sensor is reading correct.  I need to recheck when ambients are  a bit lower, but I think I've ruled out the oil temp sensor for now.  Next on my list is injectors.

Hmm. Seems like mine might be ok then. Measured 32k Ohm when engine not warmed up (not completely cold either) and then when warmed up to the point when the oil cooler fan kicked in it dropped to 1.8k Ohm. This indicates to me its working as expected

I reckon Irish is on the money with this sensor: the curve looks right for the resistance values as specified Screenshot_20260916_173519_Samsung Browser.jpg
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Irish in Oz

If the fan kicked in at 1.8Kohms that says the oil must be around 120 degrees C on the OTS.

Hooli

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Friday, 18 September  2026, 11:54 AMIf the fan kicked in at 1.8Kohms that says the oil must be around 120 degrees C on the OTS.

Sounds right. From memory the fan comes on at 120C and off at 108C.

imweirdimnotsocial21

Quote from: Daaef on Friday, 28 March  2025, 06:48 AMThanks for all the advice - turned out to be TPS/STPS and air filter on top of the previously mentioned IAP sensor.
Wish I'd read the posts about the Hiflo filters before buying one but at least could return it before going OEM.

It's been some time, but I am really baffled about the HiFlo Air Filter call-out with no details!
I am wearing one! Should I be worried?!

Please elaborate mate!

Cheers!

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

KiwiCol

Quote from: imweirdimnotsocial21 on Saturday, 19 September  2026, 07:28 AM
Quote from: Daaef on Friday, 28 March  2025, 06:48 AMThanks for all the advice - turned out to be TPS/STPS and air filter on top of the previously mentioned IAP sensor.
Wish I'd read the posts about the Hiflo filters before buying one but at least could return it before going OEM.

It's been some time, but I am really baffled about the HiFlo Air Filter call-out with no details!
I am wearing one! Should I be worried?!

Please elaborate mate!

Cheers!


AFAIK, the difference between the OE air filter and the Hi-Flow one is the neck opening at the top. On the Hi-Flow it's narrower than OE, leading to possibly less air flow if you were thrashing it through the rev range. Normal and spirited riding is no issue, I've run them in the past and they were fine.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

Oops, thought you were talking oil filters
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk