News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

camera

Started by grog, Thursday, 03 September 2026, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Thought i might get a front camera, never had one before. Simple, cheap. Mirror mount? Your thoughts Gentlemen

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: grog on Thursday, 03 September  2026, 06:40 PMThought i might get a front camera, never had one before. Simple, cheap. Mirror mount? Your thoughts Gentlemen

A group I used to ride with banned them.

We had several seized after a death on one of our rides.

I get why folk want them, there's a huge amount of benefits and they have the potential to be a game changer in a claim.

"The police can legally seize your GoPro camera if they have a reasonable suspicion that the device contains evidence of a crime or a serious driving offence"

That could be the difference between getting a ticket and being a pedestrian if you've be having some fun before hand.

Fortunately the two vehicles that I've been in that were written off were events that had a lot of witnesses, or maybe I'd think differently.

I'd like one for some of the wildlife near misses I seem to have though.

Don't hate them, don't want one.

.

KiwiCol

I've had a camera for quite a few years, one tip would be to ensure you get one with EIS, Electronic Image Stabilisation. 

Personally I went for an Insta360 Ace pro 2 or something, looks like a GoPro as opposed to a stick with 2 lenses that capture 360 degrees of every shot, but which is only available to watch after post production editing, I just wanted something that recorded my rides and I could play back without it being a shaky mess.  The camera I got (in the end) does this beautifully.

You'll probably need a Ram Ball mount system for it, yeah, I've tried the mirror mount option, not a fan.  Then you'll most likely have to rig up a power supply for it, or keep a few charged batteries to record a whole ride.  Then a decent sized Pro Grade Micro SD card to record on and record over and over, hence the pro grade card as opposed to a bargain priced one from Ali Express.  Lets see what others have to add . . .
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

3 cameras in my work truck one facing ahead, one on me and one looking down on passenger side.
All activated if truck has impact then keeps video 10 minutes prior. Evidence and insurance purposes of course.
Not a fan of them on/in my personal vehicles.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Dwain Dibley

I always have my camera (SJ4000) Running when I Cycle, but not on my motorbike, as it doesn't have the battery life.
So if you get one for your machine get one that is powered by the bike.

D.D.
To Infirmity and Beyond.. :-)

Globalrider

Completed 17 ride videos and usually had up to 4 cameras on on my GS.
1. GoPro Helmet - portside visor
2. GoPro Handlebar - portside
3. GoPro Lower crash bar - portside
4. Sony rear facing on - portside panier
I also kept a Everio handheld and Casio Exilim available when off the bike.
It was a full time job after each day's ride to download all the chips and charge up the batteries. I carried two spare batteries for each camera. I also had a 1TB portable drive to backup my laptop.
After the rides it would take me about a month to edit all the captures sometimes up to 25GBs. Loved reliving the ride and now the group has the memories on disc.
As previously discussed I used a lot of copyright music to the completed rides - so are for the group only. The music really made the complete productions.
Unfortunately, age 76 now and medical issues has curtailed the long rides/camping etc but I am not letter the old man in! I did a nice short run to the Toad Rock Campground in the Interior of BC a month ago to test the back surgery and concluded that short days and m/hotels are the only way from now on!
Ah the memories!
I need to go somewhere I've not been but won't know until I get there!

KiwiCol

Quote from: Dwain Dibley on Thursday, 03 September  2026, 07:43 PMI always have my camera (SJ4000) Running when I Cycle, but not on my motorbike, as it doesn't have the battery life.
So if you get one for your machine get one that is powered by the bike.

D.D.

I went through 2 x SJ4000's originally Dwain, just couldn't stand the shaking during playback, it was way worse than the actual ride. Tried many different mounting systems too.  What I have now is brilliant, yeah it cost a bit (a lot) more than the SJ4000, but the image quality, resolution stability and waterproof without a case make it worth it for me and what I want out of a ride video.  Give an Insta360 Ace Pro 2 a go, and if you don't say Wow! when watching the playback, I'll eat your hat!  (after you bring it to me . . .)   Honestly, going from an SJ4000 to the Insta is that much of a difference.  :onya:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

So looks like I need to spend $500-600, wont be doing that. I also remembered why I didn't get one way back, Tony jogged my memory, our cops seem to collect cameras if pulled over. They like watching videos.Ill just carry on as normal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk