News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

Where did you ride today?

Started by VladTepes, Friday, 10 February 2017, 01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Nitrous

With a hole in the hedge, a lap of the pine forests, and a few detours I've found a way to get to the pub 40k's away for breakfast, with very little bitument, almost all dirt roads.




.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 04 September  2026, 06:26 AMGot the XSR900 out today. Ready to go when I realised that I'd forgotten my wallet.

turned her off, went back and fetched it. Returned to bike, turned it on, pressed the starter and everything went blank.

Dead as a door nail. So spent the day in the garage, searching for another, as yet, elusive electrical fault.

So far, everything checks out.

Fuses, fine

Starter relay, working fine

Starter relay, cut out, working fine.

Hy ho, here we go again.  :confused1:  :whatever:  :sad:


do you trickle charge your battery ?

Id be load testing the battery, watch the volts as you crank it, <10v is no good.

Trickle chargers give a float charge to the batt, and can fool modern vehicle electronics that the battery is good, so then the current flow to it gets limited. But not a deep charge that you get if (say) its at 60% of capacity.  This float charge destroys batteries.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 04 September  2026, 06:26 AMGot the XSR900 out today. Ready to go when I realised that I'd forgotten my wallet.

turned her off, went back and fetched it. Returned to bike, turned it on, pressed the starter and everything went blank.

Dead as a door nail. So spent the day in the garage, searching for another, as yet, elusive electrical fault.

So far, everything checks out.

Fuses, fine

Starter relay, working fine

Starter relay, cut out, working fine.

Hy ho, here we go again.  :confused1:  :whatever:  :sad:



First thing I'd do is try and jump start it just to disprove it's the battery.

If the bike started without a struggle, ran OK, after being turned off for a short time and not restarting I wouldn't be questioning the battery.

Although the times I've been wrong are not few and far between.
.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Friday, 04 September  2026, 08:54 AM
Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 04 September  2026, 06:26 AMGot the XSR900 out today. Ready to go when I realised that I'd forgotten my wallet.

turned her off, went back and fetched it. Returned to bike, turned it on, pressed the starter and everything went blank.

Dead as a door nail. So spent the day in the garage, searching for another, as yet, elusive electrical fault.

So far, everything checks out.

Fuses, fine

Starter relay, working fine

Starter relay, cut out, working fine.

Hy ho, here we go again.  :confused1:  :whatever:  :sad:



First thing I'd do is try and jump start it just to disprove it's the battery.
not sure how a jump start would do that, you can jump start even by taking the bikes battery out of the circuit and just connecting the leads to the jumper battery or lithium starter.


Another check would be any interlock switches, nor sure what the XSR900 has, but most bikes are the same: clutch, side or centre stand and tip-over. Doubt its the last one btw.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 04 September  2026, 12:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Friday, 04 September  2026, 08:54 AM
Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 04 September  2026, 06:26 AMGot the XSR900 out today. Ready to go when I realised that I'd forgotten my wallet.

turned her off, went back and fetched it. Returned to bike, turned it on, pressed the starter and everything went blank.

Dead as a door nail. So spent the day in the garage, searching for another, as yet, elusive electrical fault.

So far, everything checks out.

Fuses, fine

Starter relay, working fine

Starter relay, cut out, working fine.

Hy ho, here we go again.  :confused1:  :whatever:  :sad:



First thing I'd do is try and jump start it just to disprove it's the battery.
not sure how a jump start would do that, you can jump start even by taking the bikes battery out of the circuit and just connecting the leads to the jumper battery or lithium starter.


Another check would be any interlock switches, nor sure what the XSR900 has, but most bikes are the same: clutch, side or centre stand and tip-over. Doubt its the last one btw.

Starting easily with a jump start would suggest that other parts of the system do work, or will work with a good battery.

Not starting with a healthy jump start would show the battery isn't the culprit.
.

Hooli

I'll vote for suspect battery and try a jump start too.

GSXKING

Most amazing weather and MtGlorious called me.  :cheers:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Mr Gee

Went back to Montgomery Castle today and it was open.

Not a lot, left to see, these days but it must have been quite, an imposing sight, in it's hey day.

A commanding view point over, the surrounding landscape. You could see anyone approaching for miles.

A tough one to assail too, by the look of it.

Found out, it was closed when I went the other day, because they were sealing off, the well. Someone had tried getting in and damaged it.

Could have been a nasty, accident. Apparently, it's 210 feet deep, dug through solid rock. Obviously, by hand back in the year 1223
Mr Gee

Mr Gee

A few more, to give you an idea of the view, it commanded.
Mr Gee

Mr Gee

On the way home, I went up, onto the Long Mynd. Haven't been up there for some time.

Forgot just, how steep and tight some of the roads are but worth it for the views.
Mr Gee

Eric GSX1400K3

Daughter #3 was off work, the rest was busy, so for Fathers day she suggested a motorcycle ride.  We left at 9, heading to Dwellingup via Jarrahdale, but detoured via Kingsbury Road, up thr scarp, past the working prison farm and serpentine dam.  Tried to get a coffee at the dam Cafe, but the dam coffee was a 30min wait, so we left the damn dam and circled back to Jarrahdale, on the way found a mobile coffee van so all good.  After coffee, headed for Dwellingup,  then via Nanga Brook road to Waroona, one of the best motorcycling roads in the area (apart from the south coast highway from Augusta to Walpole).

Lunch at the Waroona Hotel, then headed to Pinjarrah via the SWHighway, before detouring to Karnup via Corio and Hopeland roads before getting home.  Daughter #3 loved it, intercom worked well, bike ran perfectly and weather held out.  New tyres fully scrubbed in, must say they give great confidence, almost predicting the turn. 

A great day out.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Phill P

Yesterday went Rykas in Surrey from worthing on the South Coast with a friend on a Triumph 660 tiger. Many speed warnings and average speed cameras when getting close. Nice burger but very messy, Zed performed well.
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Mr Gee

Went out without a clear destination and thus, ended up nowhere.

Just a jolly around the highways and byways of the Welsh boarders.  :onya:
Mr Gee

Tony Nitrous

#1213
Sunday:  I was encouraged to go for a ride with a few locals.
Not really a fan of group rides or weekend rides anymore but I thought I might make the effort.
- Even by my low standards it was going to be a pretty sedate ride.
- Their idea of a day out was my idea of getting a coffee.
- The nail in the coffin was the ride was on 1 road, between 2 local towns. No turnings, no junctions, the only road there, just follow it... they asked me to create a downloadable GPS / Satnav map or something I had no idea about.
FFS!!  I stayed home.

Mon:  Out on the Busa to get a Coffee, heading South and 11 marked and unmarked cop cars came the other way, light, sirens, over taking in a real hurry!

Down the range, coffee and breakfast, started to head North took a detour, liked the roads, no idea where I was, kept going, came back out where I'd been earlier !  Back up the range, through the city, play with the launch control at a few traffic lights like a kid who'd had too many blue Smarties. Head West into the rural area, took a road I thought id done before, Wrong road! turned to dirt, turn back. A few more fun bits and home.

300.8K's, 187 miles.
68th ride this year.
Surprisingly... 21.6k/ltr.

IMG-7053" border="0

IMG-7052" border="0

IMG-7051" border="0

IMG-7054" border="0
.

Eric GSX1400K3

All happening in your neck of the woods Tony
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk