News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

Chasing down really rich running and shit mileage

Started by Uncle-P, Saturday, 29 August 2026, 08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle-P

Gday fellow owners.

I had a couple of months off riding while I was adjusting to a new work schedule and was back commuting on the old girl the last week. Previously I was getting around 300k's to a tank before she took a 2-3 month rest. In the last week I rode approx 195k's and nearly ran her dry (fuel sender is ko'd so I've been using the trip gauge for fuel and never run it too low, I go until around 250k's before topping off at around 15 litres or so. (I expect the fuel efficiency to be quite low because I ride it pretty conservatively while commuting and it's only done 45,000k's so it's still pretty fresh.)

The only thing I've done is put the Over racing cans on and the oil cooler guard, everything else is stock. (Oil is still quite fresh and only done around 1500k's since last change and the air filter is brand new (I believe the factory filter and brake pads came out of it when I freshened everything up at time of purchase)

What should I be chasing in the brains trust mind? Just go after the Spark Plugs etc, or could it be Intake Temp sensor, Oil Temp Sensor or the PAIRS unit? It's a k4, approx 48k's now and besides the Over Racing cans it's still stock running gear wise.

Eric GSX1400K3

I assume you mean high fuel efficiency as low fuel efficiency means its drinking a lot.


Id say your fuel pump, the low pressure 'tea-bag' and the high pressure filters most likely need attention, means you pull the pump from the tank and take it apart.

Low fuel pressure means rich running.  Then look at balancing the throttle bodies.

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

KiwiCol

Could just be the 2-3 month old fuel in there. They don't like sitting around unless you've got some stabilizer in there.  Easy to check the cleanliness of the fuel pump next time the tank gets really low, tank off, upside down on some cloth & whip out the pump & inspect things.  That's if it doesn't come right with fresh fuel and a good blow out.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Uncle-P

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Sunday, 30 August  2026, 12:02 AMI assume you mean high fuel efficiency as low fuel efficiency means its drinking a lot.


Id say your fuel pump, the low pressure 'tea-bag' and the high pressure filters most likely need attention, means you pull the pump from the tank and take it apart.

Low fuel pressure means rich running.  Then look at balancing the throttle bodies.




She's pretty clean inside and only sat for around for about a month or so with a full tank so it didn't rust. It just smells a LOT more like fuel than it normally does. I'll run the fresh tank of fuel, if it doesn't come right I'll tip the tank over and check the tea bag for any signs of gummy fuel and crap. (I only chuck 98 in it, so I'd be surprised if it has any issues from ethanol etc, I probably should've stabilised it though)

Uncle-P

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 30 August  2026, 06:07 AMCould just be the 2-3 month old fuel in there. They don't like sitting around unless you've got some stabilizer in there.  Easy to check the cleanliness of the fuel pump next time the tank gets really low, tank off, upside down on some cloth & whip out the pump & inspect things.  That's if it doesn't come right with fresh fuel and a good blow out.


Thanks mate I'll keep it in mind, I was just concerned maybe a sensor had gone bad because it sort of is outside, well under cover and locked up by the front door of my place. I'm not saying it will be perfect, but it COULD get some weather with the right wind and rain.

It still rides perfectly, just down on fuel consumption (went from around 6 to around 9L/100 with no real change to riding habits etc.)

Hooli

Random thought if not else shows up, wheel bearings.

When the rear one finally developed slack on my first 14 I changed both ends and got noticeably more mpg afterwards, it handled nicer too. My assumption is the front bearings were a bit draggy due to wear even though they felt ok, so acted like dragging brakes when warm.

Tony Nitrous

Is this a good time to mention is was using 5 ltrs / 100 K's this morning sitting over the speed limit...... ?

 :popcorn:
.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 31 August  2026, 05:04 PMRandom thought if not else shows up, wheel bearings.

When the rear one finally developed slack on my first 14 I changed both ends and got noticeably more mpg afterwards, it handled nicer too. My assumption is the front bearings were a bit draggy due to wear even though they felt ok, so acted like dragging brakes when warm.
yup, check chain and sprockets too, wd40 or kero to clean, castrol vmx to lube. Amazing what a lubed chain makes to smooth running.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Barbastro K6

It may be an opportunity to also install an external in-line filter.
The process is well documented on the web posts

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk