News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

Rough running, low revs

Started by Phill P, Saturday, 22 August 2026, 10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

An ex's 14 had problems for years I never figured out at the time. Looking back that was the oil temp sensor too.
Both K2s but I wouldn't say it was age as that was 15 year ago now.

Phill P

So, got to the temp sensor plug and the readings with the meter set to 200 are the following

Stone cold but warm garage 56.4
Bike run for 3 min 36.8
Another 5 min  08.7
5 again with some blips 04.7
3 mins after 04.0

So if I'm reading the meter correctly.....rubs egg on face :rofl2:
The oil temp sensor is ok :embarassed:
However when hot hold the throttle steady at 2500 it will hunt up and down slightly, I've tightened the intake rubbers and set the tickover at 1100. Still smells rich, any thoughts would be appreciated, although I think teabag filter, throttle body balance and tps will be next.

And a further thank you to anyone here who's helped out with suggestions and ideas.

Paul :smitten:
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Hooli

At a guestimation those figures do seem about right so that's one thing to rule out at least.

Agreed on the teabag, flush out the high pressure filter too or replace it with a Chinky 'busa one off ebay etc. It sounds wrong but low fuel pressure can make them appear rich. What I think is happening is the low pressure ruins the spray pattern from the injectors meaning the fuel doesn't atomise properly so it can't burn. I had a blocked filter causing puffs of black smoke when cracking the throttle open.

Phill P

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:16 AMAt a guestimation those figures do seem about right so that's one thing to rule out at least.

Agreed on the teabag, flush out the high pressure filter too or replace it with a Chinky 'busa one off ebay etc. It sounds wrong but low fuel pressure can make them appear rich. What I think is happening is the low pressure ruins the spray pattern from the injectors meaning the fuel doesn't atomise properly so it can't burn. I had a blocked filter causing puffs of black smoke when cracking the throttle open.

My riding companions do report that when I open the taps it does give a brief puff and it's only got 25000 miles so it's not worn out.
I'll take a look at tps when next I can get to the bike and get some filters ordered
The low preasure dribble does make sense

 :cheers:
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Phill P

Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Hooli


Eric GSX1400K3

At least that rules out the oil temp sensor.

Agree it will be fuel pressure related.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

Quote from: Phill P on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:53 AMand it's only got 25000 miles so it's not worn out.


Not even run in tbh, as you probably know my first 14 is on 186k miles and was running perfectly when last on the road.

When you do the filter put a thin cable tie or stainless wire around to hold the bit at the top on. A few people have had them pop loose randomly on genuine stuff, I can't imagine it's less likely on cheap aftermarket versions.

Oh yeah and a smear of rubber grease on the O-ring that seals the outlet as it's easy to crack a filter if that sticks and moves as you push it all together.

Phill P

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 28 August  2026, 03:44 PM
Quote from: Phill P on Friday, 28 August  2026, 12:53 AMand it's only got 25000 miles so it's not worn out.


Not even run in tbh, as you probably know my first 14 is on 186k miles and was running perfectly when last on the road.

When you do the filter put a thin cable tie or stainless wire around to hold the bit at the top on. A few people have had them pop loose randomly on genuine stuff, I can't imagine it's less likely on cheap aftermarket versions.

Oh yeah and a smear of rubber grease on the O-ring that seals the outlet as it's easy to crack a filter if that sticks and moves as you push it all together.

I'll do that, need to read up a bit more on changing it  :cheers:
I'll look at tps at the weekend
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Phill P

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 28 August  2026, 08:46 AMAt least that rules out the oil temp sensor.

Agree it will be fuel pressure related.

In some was it's a shame because it would have been an easy fix....although none in the world as such, still no increase in revs when warm like the 2nd map kicking in and smells rich, although runs fine in normal riding, but at at 2500 revs, ie slow stuff the bike becomes not as nice to ride, but that is also when when held at 2500 rpm so not load related. Tre helped as did pairs delete.  :whatever:
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

grog

#55
Yeah Mate have a read, not at all difficult. I'll put up pic of tie wire around regulator.Easiest for TPS is put it in dealer mode, check the line on the dash.All written on here, easier than mucking around with voltage/ohms IMO.Get that throttle body balanced, I just recently found makes a huge difference 😎Really should be able to hear/ feel / see motor change when lightly in/out with clutch. Maybe chuck a new clutch switch on, not expensive.

Phill P

Quote from: grog on Friday, 28 August  2026, 05:06 PMYeah Mate have a read, not at all difficult. I'll put up pic of tie wire around regulator.Easiest for TPS is put it in dealer mode, check the line on the dash.All written on here, easier than mucking around with voltage/ohms IMO.Get that throttle body balanced, I just recently found makes a huge difference 😎Really should be able to hear/ feel / see motor change when lightly in/out with clutch. Maybe chuck a new clutch switch on, not expensive.
Funny you say clutch switch as I was going to order one, although mine seems OK its so cheap why not, belt and braces so to speak
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Phill P

Clutch switch, tea bag filter, and Hayabusa filter ordered, plus J'tech tail tidy for the Zed  :cheers:

Now looking at rain outside and watching captain scarlet with a coffee
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

GSXKING

Quote from: Phill P on Saturday, 29 August  2026, 06:42 PMClutch switch, tea bag filter, and Hayabusa filter ordered, plus J'tech tail tidy for the Zed  :cheers:

Now looking at rain outside and watching captain scarlet with a coffee

And you're a mysteron  🙀🙀
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk