News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

Oil cooler fan switch, advice pls

Started by Jeykey, Monday, 22 June 2026, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CROS

I put a fan switch in as a priority on my GSX1400 build. If you are going to rev the engine (max hp point) every gear (i.e. at a track day) then a manual fan switch is better than ideal. I have one on my GSXR1000 as well (12,800rpm gear change) so like many things, it depends on what you are doing with the bike and where. Easy to do and cheap and won't hurt unless you forget to turn it off and get hot!

Mr Gee

In twenty years, I have only heard my fan running twice and both of those times, were me making it run on purpose, to test it worked.  :onya:
Mr Gee

kquacker

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 22 June  2026, 11:33 PMI can't see the point, I've ridden around europe in mid summer with a seized fan & never knew until I felt the bike getting warm after 30 mins or so in stop start traffic. It's very rare they need the fan, hence you don't hear it very often.

You can unplug the fan switch at the forward facing plug on the RH front corner of the engine under the ignition cover. Short the contacts inside with the ignition on to prove the fan works & then forget about it.
[/quote

Which fan switch check is correct? The Haynes manual says the opposite or am I missing something? I've checked mine and it comes on having bridged the contacts in the connector??Oil cooler.jpg

Tony Nitrous

My supercharged H2 SX SE was far worse than my GSX1400.

Both bikes went out west in Australian summer heat.
The fan on the smaller Watercooled Kawasaki kicked in when it worked hard and absolutely cooked my legs. Riding the 14 hard with or without (probably without) the fan coming in was nowhere near as bad.

Big bikes on hot days will keep you warm, it's what they do. A fan coming in or not won't be a game changer.
.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk