GSX1400 Owners .org

Technically Speaking => General Technical discussion => Topic started by: RipleyRich on Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:57 AM

Title: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: RipleyRich on Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:57 AM
Does anyone have, or know where I can purchase an Oil Temperature Sensor?

Neither Fowlers or Robinsons Foundry have any.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Phill P on Friday, 18 September 2026, 05:06 AM
No longer made and unavailable, couple threads running at mo looking at options, Febi 184768 Sensor Oil Temperature Fits Scania 2 - Series 4 F G K N P R, looks very similar design but specs and size are probably off, the search continues.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Irish in Oz on Friday, 18 September 2026, 07:14 AM
I think you will find it hard to get one to fit without modification to the engine mounting point.
Found it hard to get specs on that sensor, the figures I did get where far to low in resistance to suit the 1400.
So be careful.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:22 PM
Given its price you can purchase one.
Then measure ohms and accordingly return it or not.
I wish this could be done with all obsolete spare parts.

There is even the possibility of inserting an external resistance that makes it suitable
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:54 PM
Barbastro, I've searched the world and none available. External resistor would be possible, potentiometer,can buy with led screen to show what resistance.Would be like having manual choke on old cars😁
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 18 September 2026, 05:23 PM
Quote from: grog on Friday, 18 September  2026, 04:54 PMBarbastro, I've searched the world and none available. External resistor would be possible, potentiometer,can buy with led screen to show what resistance.Would be like having manual choke on old cars😁
yeah, but you'd need to be turning it constantly to adjust afr due to changes in engine rpm or am I mistaken ?
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Blubber on Friday, 18 September 2026, 05:29 PM
I have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Friday, 18 September 2026, 05:42 PM
Mistaken Eric, just the temp to resistance required. I figured around 6k ohms is pretty much my bikes running temp?? Hope it never gets to this, hopefully Webike can supply. 🤞
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Blubber on Friday, 18 September 2026, 06:05 PM
Regarding the oil temp sensor:

I just sent out an e-mail to a breaker in France for a shipping quote to the Netherlands for a pre-owned one.

If they reply AND are willing to ship to the Netherlands... i should be able to test that sensor at work as we have have a dry heat block with a temperature read out and I can measure and write down the resistance value per temperature.

Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 18 September 2026, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 05:29 PMI have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
saw that too, so I ordered and paid for one.  Email the next day that these are discontinued.  I asked if they could find an alternative, they are looking for me.  They also apologised that thr website hasn't updated to say NA or out of stock etc.

I tried to order one from a us company, couldn't buy as it wanted a us address.

Not keen on second-hand, there must be similar sensors around, Irish found one, but its threaded unlike the oem unit.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Blubber on Friday, 18 September 2026, 07:31 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 18 September  2026, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 05:29 PMI have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
saw that too, so I ordered and paid for one.  Email the next day that these are discontinued.  I asked if they could find an alternative, they are looking for me.  They also apologised that thr website hasn't updated to say NA or out of stock etc.

I tried to order one from a us company, couldn't buy as it wanted a us address.

Not keen on second-hand, there must be similar sensors around, Irish found one, but its threaded unlike the oem unit.

I just ordered the second hand one from France for testing purposes.

I suspect that Suzuki has used a generic sensor and just potted it into the specific GSX1400 holder.

When it arrives i will ask the guys from our calibration department if they can identify the element EG a PT1000 and what a replacement might be.


As i am a mechanical minded spanner monkey i am sure they will want to lecture me in that  :smile2:

To me it looks like you can drill out the old sensor , insert a suitable temperature probe , refill with zinc paste and water proof it with RS potting compound.

Call it a retrofit
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Irish in Oz on Friday, 18 September 2026, 07:42 PM
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 07:31 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 18 September  2026, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 05:29 PMI have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
saw that too, so I ordered and paid for one.  Email the next day that these are discontinued.  I asked if they could find an alternative, they are looking for me.  They also apologised that thr website hasn't updated to say NA or out of stock etc.

I tried to order one from a us company, couldn't buy as it wanted a us address.

Not keen on second-hand, there must be similar sensors around, Irish found one, but its threaded unlike the oem unit.

I just ordered the second hand one from France for testing purposes.

I suspect that Suzuki has used a generic sensor and just potted it into the specific GSX1400 holder.

When it arrives i will ask the guys from our calibration department if they can identify the element EG a PT1000 and what a replacement might be.


As i am a mechanical minded spanner monkey i am sure they will want to lecture me in that  :smile2:

To me it looks like you can drill out the old sensor , insert a suitable temperature probe , refill with zinc paste and water proof it with RS potting compound.

Call it a retrofit

Your mechanical not electical or electronic good luck.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Phill P on Friday, 18 September 2026, 07:52 PM
I purchased from fowlers and got a refund the next day, tried webike same result, another place in Australia same result.
The sensor is unique to the gsx, is not threaded so normal sensors won't fit unless modded. Also look at the shape of it where the O ring sits and the thickness of material behind the O ring. Hooli has very helpfully put up dimensions up so it gives someone half a chance of getting it correct, I found one that looked similar but Irish found the specs and that won't work.
My take is fit a sensor elsewhere like the oil gallery block offs either side of the engine, haven't a clue if it would work but the threads are correct, or fit a resistor in the line to the temp sensor with effectively a cold start switch.

:cheers:
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Blubber on Friday, 18 September 2026, 08:04 PM
Quote from: Phill P on Friday, 18 September  2026, 07:52 PMI purchased from fowlers and got a refund the next day, tried webike same result, another place in Australia same result.
The sensor is unique to the gsx, is not threaded so normal sensors won't fit unless modded. Also look at the shape of it where the O ring sits and the thickness of material behind the O ring. Hooli has very helpfully put up dimensions up so it gives someone half a chance of getting it correct, I found one that looked similar but Irish found the specs and that won't work.
My take is fit a sensor elsewhere like the oil gallery block offs either side of the engine, haven't a clue if it would work but the threads are correct, or fit a resistor in the line to the temp sensor with effectively a cold start switch.

:cheers:

I can confirm it is indeed no longer available from Webike Japan dispite my previous claim. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Just got the email.


A threaded solution in another location in the oil gallery ... like the fan switch ... sound like a good alternative
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Friday, 18 September 2026, 08:28 PM
nothing beats teamwork!!   
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 18 September 2026, 09:17 PM
Just checked Mick Hone in Victoria,  also no stock listed.

Will ring them am tomorrow and also my local Suzuki dealer here in Perth.

Interestingly, the web price from mick hone is the same as the webike jaoan price at 104AUD each...
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Friday, 18 September 2026, 09:20 PM
https://www.cmsnl.com/en-es/search/?section=product&q=1365042F00
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Phill P on Friday, 18 September 2026, 10:24 PM
Says unavailable
Quote from: Barbastro K6 on Friday, 18 September  2026, 09:20 PMhttps://www.cmsnl.com/en-es/search/?section=product&q=1365042F00

living!!
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Saturday, 19 September 2026, 01:12 AM
and from others GSX-GSF oil cooleds ?

In the official breakdown I see that it is not shared with other Suzukis
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Irish in Oz on Saturday, 19 September 2026, 02:06 AM
I'm a retired self employed Mechatronics Engineer and used to do alot of calibration work in industry including automotive, I even have a company that made one off devices for me.
If the sensor plays up on my 1400 I may have to come out of retirement for a short period.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Saturday, 19 September 2026, 02:51 AM
https://www.japan-webike.ie/products/2000745749.html

here webike provides interesting cross information...........

https://www.japan-webike.ie/products/25704956.html
and here it seems to imply that it is in stock
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: RipleyRich on Saturday, 19 September 2026, 04:15 AM
Looks like I'll be breaking for spares then as webike was my last hope. I've spent 8hours searching today and have had no success.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: RipleyRich on Tuesday, 22 September 2026, 06:32 PM
Quote from: Irish in Oz on Saturday, 19 September  2026, 02:06 AMI'm a retired self employed Mechatronics Engineer and used to do alot of calibration work in industry including automotive, I even have a company that made one off devices for me.
If the sensor plays up on my 1400 I may have to come out of retirement for a short period.

I reckon you could make a fair bit of money if you can find a solution to this.
I`ve heard this weekend of a guy that has had his GSX1400 standing for 3 years because of this problem.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Stepdoug on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 06:35 AM
Quote from: RipleyRich on Tuesday, 22 September  2026, 06:32 PM
Quote from: Irish in Oz on Saturday, 19 September  2026, 02:06 AMI'm a retired self employed Mechatronics Engineer and used to do alot of calibration work in industry including automotive, I even have a company that made one off devices for me.
If the sensor plays up on my 1400 I may have to come out of retirement for a short period.

I reckon you could make a fair bit of money if you can find a solution to this.
I`ve heard this weekend of a guy that has had his GSX1400 standing for 3 years because of this problem.
Blimey heck of a problem.
Wonder if you would get this part buying a used engine , mind you would make it a bloody expensive part
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Irish in Oz on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 11:28 AM
Quote from: Stepdoug on Wednesday, 23 September  2026, 06:35 AM
Quote from: RipleyRich on Tuesday, 22 September  2026, 06:32 PM
Quote from: Irish in Oz on Saturday, 19 September  2026, 02:06 AMI'm a retired self employed Mechatronics Engineer and used to do alot of calibration work in industry including automotive, I even have a company that made one off devices for me.
If the sensor plays up on my 1400 I may have to come out of retirement for a short period.

I reckon you could make a fair bit of money if you can find a solution to this.
I`ve heard this weekend of a guy that has had his GSX1400 standing for 3 years because of this problem.
Blimey heck of a problem.
Wonder if you would get this part buying a used engine , mind you would make it a bloody expensive part

I've decided to go ahead with this project as my mate has had big problems with starting, he will be bring his bike to me to have a look at it.
There goes my retirement, but it may help my super fund not that I need it.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 04:31 PM
[/Quote]
Blimey heck of a problem.
Wonder if you would get this part buying a used engine , mind you would make it a bloody expensive part
[/quote]

Risk with buying a used one is that the sensor in that is also buggered, meaning you are no further but instead have an extra engine...
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Phill P on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 05:06 PM
I personally think moving the sensor to a different location like the fan switch is a more simple solution. I believe it would need an adaptor to sleeve it down to the correct size for the more readily available oil temp sensors. Yes you'd lose the fan that never comes on anyway but you could rig a switch if concerned.  :whatever:
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Hooli on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 05:16 PM
Quote from: Phill P on Wednesday, 23 September  2026, 05:06 PMI personally think moving the sensor to a different location like the fan switch is a more simple solution. I believe it would need an adaptor to sleeve it down to the correct size for the more readily available oil temp sensors. Yes you'd lose the fan that never comes on anyway but you could rig a switch if concerned.  :whatever:
Id bet you'd be able to fit a T-piece & keep the fan switch too. I've seen similar done on old Triumphs where an oil temp or pressure gauge is added to the pressure warning light hole.  At worst, you'd need someone to make a brass T-piece & put the right size holes/threads in it.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 05:36 PM
Possible.

I though about extending the oul temp sensor lead to the fan switch, but I dont think the fan switch is an NTC (negative tempersture coefficient) sensor, just a simple temperature switch: close contact when oil is at 120deg and fan runs. Contact opens when oil is cooled to 104deg C or whatever.

If that fan switch was replaced with a suitably threaded NTC sensor, then we maybe onto something....just need to determine the thread type and size of course.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: RipleyRich on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 05:40 PM
Unless I`ve missed a post that explain this, isn`t the first challenge finding another sensor with the same resistance characteristics?
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Tony Nitrous on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 05:41 PM
Quote from: Phill P on Friday, 18 September  2026, 07:52 PMMy take is fit a sensor elsewhere like the oil gallery block offs either side of the engine, haven't a clue if it would work but the threads are correct, or fit a resistor in the line to the temp sensor with effectively a cold start switch.

:cheers:

Similar thoughts here. 

I'd bee looking for the right type of reader, what that works in the correct range and sends a signal the 14 understands and is happy with.

How and where it's fitted is an issue I'd expect to be simpler.

If someone fold a readily available sensor that was common to something popular I'm sure a small batch of adapters would be possible to produce. An adapter would be a once only purchase.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Irish in Oz on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 05:49 PM
Did any of yous read my post ffs.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 10:33 PM
Yes Irish, I reckon the one you found is good, the NTC curve seems right. 
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Hooli on Wednesday, 23 September 2026, 10:51 PM
If someone figures this out I'll have a couple despite the cost of post to the UK.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 01:47 AM
interesting to study technical characteristics (see workshop manual) and placement in the other SACS
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Pommeroy on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 04:26 AM
Quote from: Irish in Oz on Wednesday, 23 September  2026, 05:49 PMDid any of yous read my post ffs.

Sure did...exciting possibility that you can do what Suzuki seems to have given up on.
I can offer nothing technical, but if a few $$ can help, perhaps we on here can chip in?
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Phill P on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 05:48 AM
Quite a few threads running on this subject, maybe they should all be pooled into one
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Stepdoug on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 07:10 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 23 September  2026, 10:51 PMIf someone figures this out I'll have a couple despite the cost of post to the UK.
Yup will have on for two myself. Just to put in the cave  as I now have another 1400  uk also maybe if it happens post to on uk address and resend from them, if it all come off
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 08:36 AM
Took my sensor out and set up the start of my test bench.  Initial readings suggest it may be ok, however I did expect a higher resistance at lower temps.

One thing I did notice is the tip of the sensor is wet with oil, need to check how deep the recess is that it goes into, this may allow other longer thermowells to fit, as long as they have the same Ohm to Deg C relationship.

Photo shows the sensor,  my multimeter and a Fluke temp detector. T1 is the sensor,  I zip tied the tip of the probe to the sensor and T2 is ambient. 

I measured about 54kOhm at 19deg, I understand it should be 61.3 kOhm at 20 deg C.

Took a few other readings whilst warming the sensor in my hand, but the plan is put it in il or water and slowly heat, recording at the temperatures listed in the manual to check.


Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 08:42 AM
Photo
20260923_172109.jpg
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: KiwiCol on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 02:16 PM
I use the exact same Digitech meter Eric. On to my 3rd one now.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: GSXKING on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 03:46 PM
Irish and I discussed this at length, does anyone know the manufacturer. We're both quite certain Suzuki never made this sensor. They would have just ordered it in then utilised it through until the last bike rolled of the production line.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 05:32 PM
YUMBO Japan say they have 13650-42F00 in stock. I've ordered/ paid $92. Will wait n see what happens 🤷🏼
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 06:35 PM
Not a bad price mate, (assuming they're legit) understandably im a bit gunshy now. Still waiting to hear back from mastercard from the recent transaction debacle.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Hooli on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 06:41 PM
Quote from: grog on Thursday, 24 September  2026, 05:32 PMYUMBO Japan say they have 13650-42F00 in stock. I've ordered/ paid $92. Will wait n see what happens 🤷🏼

Not heard of that one, hope it turns out legit.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 07:23 PM
I've signed and created an account, works so far.  81 usd including delivery via DHL.

Will wait and see, plus i need to complete my test and theres a few similar sensors on AMAZON as well.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 10:17 PM
Tested the sensor tonight, still need to tabulate the results properly.

I used new engine oil, heated up slowly on a camping stove, fire blanket and extinguisher at the ready.  Starting at ambient (17deg C) then 20deg C, 50 etc.  Figured that's better than testing water, as oil is denser and has a different heat capacity, plus is closer to actual operating conditions.

In accordance to the workshop manual set points, I get;

62.2kOhm at 20deg C
16.3kOhm at 50deg C
6.8kOhm at 80deg C
4.0kOhm at 110deg C

Close, but it seems at higher oil temp, the error is worse, almost 100% out (should be 2.5kOhm)at 110 deg C.

I let the oil heat up further and i got:
2.5kOhm at 136deg C!

So I still suspect sensor is failing or faulty, causing high(er) fuel burn at hot engine temps.

Thoughts?
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 10:39 PM
Photos
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Hooli on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 11:08 PM
The two I've known fail have both gone high resistance so it'd figure they're inaccurate at high temps first.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Thursday, 24 September 2026, 11:44 PM
perfect multicultural teamwork!
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September 2026, 07:34 AM
Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 24 September  2026, 11:08 PMThe two I've known fail have both gone high resistance so it'd figure they're inaccurate at high temps first.
yes, but id expect them to fail "spectacularly", like your did, showing like 1000kOhm at ambient, or open circuit (infinite resistance), not just be almost accurate (except where it matters).

Anyway, will order one off Amazon that I think might work and see how that goes.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Hooli on Friday, 25 September 2026, 07:55 AM
You know a lot more than me about such things. I just thought they might slowly fail until it ends up a high resistance. I'm not sure how they work for if that's realistic or not though.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September 2026, 12:03 PM
Just got a call from my local Suzuki dealer, confirming these sensors are discontinued and no aftermarket equivalent part no available. I think the Amazon option is looking good.  I also checked at Jaycar electronics, nothing similar there either.

Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Blubber on Friday, 25 September 2026, 03:17 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September  2026, 12:03 PMJust got a call from my local Suzuki dealer, confirming these sensors are discontinued and no aftermarket equivalent part no available. I think the Amazon option is looking good.  I also checked at Jaycar electronics, nothing similar there either.



Curious to know what type of sensor you ordered.

ATM I think the NTC Suzuki used is a 50KOhm with a B value of 3950K but i would like to get some confirmation from the calibration team at work or from you and Irish
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Friday, 25 September 2026, 04:17 PM
Got an email from YUMBO, order cancelled, guessing they had it listed without checking if available.Refund from PayPal in progress, I hope. 😎 We keep on searching.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Friday, 25 September 2026, 04:22 PM
Money back, took PayPal whole of 5 minutes👍
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September 2026, 04:45 PM
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 25 September  2026, 03:17 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September  2026, 12:03 PMJust got a call from my local Suzuki dealer, confirming these sensors are discontinued and no aftermarket equivalent part no available. I think the Amazon option is looking good.  I also checked at Jaycar electronics, nothing similar there either.



Curious to know what type of sensor you ordered.

ATM I think the NTC Suzuki used is a 50KOhm with a B value of 3950K but i would like to get some confirmation from the calibration team at work or from you and Irish
cheers, haven't ordered anything yet. Irish advised of what seemed to be a suitable sensor with a matching curve.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Friday, 25 September 2026, 06:36 PM
finding what fits  and right specs, very difficult. If mine totally failed, no sensor available, id install resistor for  usual running temp when warm. Cold start , warming up, difficult but better than not riding. Not using bike, sitting for years,i find that ridiculous.   
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 25 September 2026, 07:41 PM
Yeah I reckon thats the go if we can't find a suitable replacement.  Issue is what resistance value? Id be tempted to set it to the lowest (2.5kOhm at 110deg C).  But mines already at 4KOhm, so not sure how to reduce that further...
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Irish in Oz on Saturday, 26 September 2026, 07:11 AM
About 6K ohms in parallel.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Saturday, 26 September 2026, 02:07 PM
Ok, so ive ordered these two, hope they have the same NTC curve. If not, 40AUD in the hole.

Sorry Irish, wanted to order the sensor you found, but they want 45AUD shipping for a 15AUD part.

I have an idea for the retaining plate, and hopefully I can repin the plug end so that I don't lose the factory plug, otherwise I'll make up an adapter piece.

Screenshot_20260926_120148_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20260926_120214_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Irish in Oz on Saturday, 26 September 2026, 08:03 PM
It's not rocket science I hope it all works.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Sunday, 27 September 2026, 04:32 PM
14 has a rocket up its arse so therefore we must require rocket science😎
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 28 September 2026, 01:10 PM
OK, so delving into this a bit more, and im no electronics specialist, but I understand the basics. 

Using the equivalent resistance formula, I agree with Irish that in order to fool the ecu that its seeing 2.5kohm at the sensor, I need 6.5-6.6kohm in parallel.

So my understanding is also that to wire in parallel,  I'd need to connect any additional resistance to both wires of the sensor.

I guess my question for Irish is, can I use one of these variable potentiometers? This would allow the "dialling-in" of the optimal resistance, effectively allowing on the fly fuel trim adjustment.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/10k-ohm-linear-b-single-gang-16mm-potentiometer/p/RP7510

My other question is, is the normal running temperature of the oil 110deg C or lower? 

This is why im thinking of putting in a variable resistor, this allows tuning to compensate for cooler running.

Required resistances are:20260928_110311.jpg
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 28 September 2026, 02:01 PM
Plotted my measured values against the manual required values, its actually close, the only two variations are at 50deg C, my sensor reads -9% lower than it should (16.3kohm vs 17.8kohm required) and at 110deg c it reads 38% higher (4.0kohm measured vs 2.5kohm required.

Also weirdly, at 20deg c I read 62.0 and at 19 I read 50.8kohm, when it should read higher than 62.2kohm, however it was holding the sensor in my hand, not in oil at 20deg c.
20260928_115527.jpg
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Hooli on Monday, 28 September 2026, 02:35 PM
I'd doubt the oil is normally at 110c myself. Just because of how rarely the fans ever kick in and that's triggered at 120c.
From memory those screw in oil temp gauges that replace the oil cap show 80-90c when riding, but as they mainly read the air and flung oil around the clutch I've no idea how accurate they are.

Somewhere I've got a dirt cheap thermistor with the sensor on the end of a thin wire. I got it years ago for a car where you needed to know the gearbox oil temp to top it up.
Something like it dipped in the sump past the clutch after a good run on the bike would give a clue. Unless you can think of a place to fit it.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Monday, 28 September 2026, 02:53 PM
I've checked mine a few times with infra red thermometer,  screw in gauge not that far off. Most I've seen was just over 90c, very hot day. Usual riding summertime around 80. I never get stuck in traffic so no idea of heat soak in that situation.Ive looked at the fan position, only partly covers cooler, bad design, not that I've ever had mine on.I can remember T24& Andre discussing fitting thermostat as they thought 14 running too cold.Someone else used too cover the oil cooler to raise temp, cold climate I guess.As far as resistors, can wires be just cut and suitable fitted for normal running temp?🤷🏼
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 28 September 2026, 03:12 PM
Yes, I was thinking 80deg C would be common.  Then this is the conundrum, the graph shows the resistance is spot on for that temp, i.e sensor working fine so why does she drink 2x as much fuel as normal?
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Monday, 28 September 2026, 03:23 PM
Have you checked IAT sensor, high resistance there will richen mixture.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Monday, 28 September 2026, 03:37 PM
I see here a high level of imagination of free minds that confirm that a mind in motion never stops moving forward.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 28 September 2026, 04:18 PM
Quote from: grog on Monday, 28 September  2026, 03:23 PMHave you checked IAT sensor, high resistance there will richen mixture.
will do, thanks mate.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: grog on Monday, 28 September 2026, 04:27 PM
13650-56B00. $145 Mick Hone. They fit numerous cars, outboards. $20 eBay.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 28 September 2026, 08:02 PM
IAT checks out, 4.8V at the connector with ign on, 2.38kOhm across the sensor pins with ign off and 19deg C ambient.  Manual says 2.6kohm at 20deg C.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Hooli on Monday, 28 September 2026, 08:13 PM
That doesn't leave many reasons for excessive fuel consumption then.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 28 September 2026, 10:07 PM
Nope. Will try a bottle of injector cleaner and run a tank of 95RON through it, need to go on a long ride to get an accurate mpg / l/100km reading.  Should be around 5.6-5.7 average I believe.

Otherwise im chasing 👻
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 29 September 2026, 04:17 AM
This is a chart I made up for the GSX years ago Eric, it's using a max full tank  (22.5L) for total distance calculations. Shows MPG, K/L and L/100k. 

Your target of 5.6 - 5.7l/100k, is absolutely achievable, but still pretty optimistic for regular riding, because we tend to use the right wrist a bit. Mid 6's would be pretty acceptable. On an economy run you could get it into the low 5's or high 4's, but who rides a GSX like that?

Just explain the green & red bits. The Green is when the wee fuel symbol will come on, and how far you can still travel at your current fuel  use and how far you have travelled from the last fill up. 
The red is when the last bar will also begin flashing as well as the wee bowser symbol. When both start flashing, you have 1.75L left and tells you how far you can go on that remaining fuel.  Now these remaining L are for my K6, I know some earlier ones the lights came on at different levels remaining. It's in your handbook for your year.


Range.png


Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Tuesday, 29 September 2026, 07:35 AM
Cheers Col, gives a target range to aim at. Much appreciated mate.
Title: Re: Oil Temperature sensor
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 09 October 2026, 08:38 AM
Update of sorts, been too busy too ride during the week, plus a weekend away on the Bavarian Mistress kinda got in the way.

New Amazon sensors arrived, tested both, one started cold at around 12 kOhm and went all the way down to 0.4kOhm at 110deg oil temp. Annoyingly its the one that looks most like the oem one, complete with proper brass body plus plug and leads.

The second one matches the oem temp vs kohm profile very well, starting at 63kohm at 20deg c and ending up at around 2-3kohm at 110, so promising there.  It has bullet connectors and would require splicing into the oem lead, which im a bit reluctant to do as these sensors are unobtainium.  I still need to take it for a ride to verify the high consumption rate before I decide to do that, however I may decide to butcher the other sensors lead and use that, or find a suitable connector and repin it properly.  Then i need to find a way to fit the new sensor to the oem mounting plate and use the original o ring to keep the oil in. I have some nickel plated thin locking nuts im thinking of using, work in progress.

Best candidate, matches oem closely:
Screenshot_20260926_120214_Amazon Shopping.jpg


Looks pretty but no good, 0.4kohm at 110dec C:
Screenshot_20260926_120148_Amazon Shopping.jpg

15aud each for these sensors from Amazon