Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwifruit

Mate of mine is a riding instructor.
He spends much of his life teaching patched up gang members who have ridden for years unlicensed to get up to speed for their restricted m/c license test. They arrive and park up their mega dollar Harleys to then hop on a learner approved 650 VStrom for their lessons   :facepalm:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

grog

Funnily Kiwi, late 80s i was mechanic for driving school. Busses,trucks, earth movers,cars n bikes. Same story, rehabs rode in on Hardlys, then faced my Yam 250s to get a licence.I got on well with them,best was, i asked one bloke, track had come off bulldozer, me fixing, i asked how long in prison and reason.Answer, hed done 25 yrs for double murder, end of talk, i just fixed the track.

Ultramagnus

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 22 April  2024, 05:57 AM
Quote from: Ultramagnus on Monday, 22 April  2024, 03:14 AMI tried to clean the ferrules on the front disc as well since they are all rock solid, but I couldn't make them move freely, so I will have to do some research on how to do that properly.

Ferrules = Bobbins?  If so, here's a link to cleaning those.  https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=211.0

I don't use the nut & bolt method myself, I use a nail punch inserted into a battery drill, stick the tapered portion into the hole & medium speed turn them whilst using brake cleaner to wash out the gunk.  Sometimes I'll use CRC or WD40 first & finish off with brake cleaner. Never had an issue with contaminated pads.

Bobbins! =)

I tried the bolt & nut method, got two to move, but not much and not so that I could spin them with fingers only.

Was thinking about using WD40 or 5-56 since it will not evaporate and have time to losen up the gunk in the bobbins, never did it though.
Will do it now, after newly found confidence in your comment!

Hooli

I don't think mine have ever spun with just finger pressure. There's thin spring washers in there too, I think someone managed to break one by over cleaning the bobbins & the disk ended up flopping about & had to be replaced. As long as you can wriggle the disk side to side slightly then I'd say they're ok.

Hooli

I've spend the weekend at the Into the Valley rally, much fun was had & way too much was drunk. Got home yesterday, washed the tractor as rode up on amazingly dirty muddy wet roads. Dried the tent etc etc.

Today as it's a Bank Hol (as the downunders won't know) I rebuilt my 14's front brakes cause they'd felt crap for a while. Three or four stuck pistons, one was tight but not stuck, will explain why they weren't right.

14 Brakes (600 x 337).jpg

I did my now usual lazy way of bleeding them from a dry system. Leave the bleed nipples out, fill the reservoir and go make a cup of tea. I looked in when the tea was brewing & saw fluid dribbling out of one calliper, so I screwed that bleed nipple in, topped the reservoir up again & went back to drink the tea. When I got back to the bike a few drips of fluid had come out the other calliper, so refitted that nipple too & then bleed up up. Dead easy & no hours of sodding about trying to get the fluid flowing.

Quick test ride tonight proves the brakes are back to how they should be. Just leaves a TPS to order & fit as I've got a rough spot on the fuelling again so I know it'll be that again. I might order two in case they go unavailable tbh.

Dwain Dibley

All i did was fit a nice new mesh seat cover.

D.D.

Seat Cover.jpeg
To Infirmity and Beyond.. :-)

KiwiCol

Looking at that mesh cover, you wouldn't think it'd do anything at all, but looks can be deceiving and it's especially true in this instance of the mesh cover, they really work & cost bugger all - ask me how I know . . .    :onya:  :clapping: Had a couple of them for years. 

Mind you, seat has been re-sculptured & had a Gel insert fitted as well.

Seat.JPG
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

All i did today was a bit of research. TPS for 14 is stupid price. Same fits quite a few diff bikes.Ill find out if cheaper available. Its only a rheostat, nothing special, some on Ali just $20. One that fits, join a couple of wires.ill keep looking.Same 14 sensor listed at fitting 10 or so bikes, small Suzi,yamahas, gsxr.Might end up dead end or pay $300 for a spare.

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 08 May  2024, 07:03 PMAll i did today was a bit of research. TPS for 14 is stupid price. Same fits quite a few diff bikes.Ill find out if cheaper available. Its only a rheostat, nothing special, some on Ali just $20. One that fits, join a couple of wires.ill keep looking.Same 14 sensor listed at fitting 10 or so bikes, small Suzi,yamahas, gsxr.Might end up dead end or pay $300 for a spare.

$110 AUS delivered for genuine...

https://japan.webike.net/products/24390530.html

I bought two from there this morning, I'll let you know when they arrive next week. I got two as it's as cheap as one from a dealer here so rude not to have a spare.

I have looked around for others before but couldn't find any specs on direction of rotation & the resistance so wasn't confident they'd work. I guess a lot of time in workshop manuals etc would find that, but I didn't bother.

grog

OK Hooli, my post redundant. Ill get a spare same as you.Im buying up on spare sensors, they wont get cheaper.

Hooli

I only found it this morning myself grog, I ordered them about half hour before I saw your post.

Great minds & all that... :cheers:

MickyJB

Mick
08 Special Edition
Ulysses 69619

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 08 May  2024, 07:07 PM
Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 08 May  2024, 07:03 PMAll i did today was a bit of research. TPS for 14 is stupid price. Same fits quite a few diff bikes.Ill find out if cheaper available. Its only a rheostat, nothing special, some on Ali just $20. One that fits, join a couple of wires.ill keep looking.Same 14 sensor listed at fitting 10 or so bikes, small Suzi,yamahas, gsxr.Might end up dead end or pay $300 for a spare.

$110 AUS delivered for genuine...

https://japan.webike.net/products/24390530.html

I bought two from there this morning, I'll let you know when they arrive next week. I got two as it's as cheap as one from a dealer here so rude not to have a spare.

I have looked around for others before but couldn't find any specs on direction of rotation & the resistance so wasn't confident they'd work. I guess a lot of time in workshop manuals etc would find that, but I didn't bother.
might get 1 or 2 from there as well. Local dealer sells oem for aud 153 or so, mick hone on line, oem for aud 157 delivered, not much in it m, but Aud 110 is a good deal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk