News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

You know that Hornet I got yesterday? Well I took the tank off tonight to see if I needed any adapters to balance the carbs..

Why do I touch things that are working? The fuel pipe crumbed into bits as I lifted the tank, yet it'd never smelt of fuel or leaked before. I found the choke mech was bent so it wasn't working on one carb, so I straightened & now it doesn't return to off when you move the lever back...

Oh & the fork seal that was done 900 miles ago by a dealer when the bike was owned by one of their staff is leaking again. That's a 100% failure for them as she had the chain n sprockets done at the same time & I had to align the wheel properly when she got it home as it was crabbing like mad. I've no idea how I didn't notice the seal before, the bike has been here long enough.

Over all rating for the day - Bugger.

Kiwifruit

Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

KiwiCol

Better you found it Hooli than it breakdown on ya somewhere far away.  Anyway, it gives you more things to play with.   :cool:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Aye I'll sort it Col, it's just annoying  to find it now. But then I've never had a reason to take the tank off before. Fork seal is worse as I saw a small stain on the garage floor from it last night that I'd somehow missed as well.

Hooli

Today's rating - Much Better.

I popped to the local decent bike spares place & spent a whole £15. Came home for stuff I had to do at lunchtime & then spent about 3hrs on the Hornet this afternoon. I've only changed the one fork seal, no point doing both with only 900mile on them. It's a waste of oil of nothing else. Changing the fuel line took nearly as long, the gap under the carbs is too small for an adult to get their hand in. Then I fitted the LED flasher relay, which needed an earth point adding. It's ready to get an MOT now.

Best of all, I got the two ugly stickers for a tyre shop in Leeds off the front as well. I'll fit the LED indicators once they arrive.

I might take it for a MOT in the morning as I'm not working this week it makes sense to get it all sorted & it's ready for winter etc then.

seth

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

Quote from: seth on Thursday, 08 July  2021, 05:16 AM
@Hooli
Adult !  :facepalm:

Physical age, not mental!  :lol:

It also explains why they are girls bikes, on average girls have smaller hands so would be able to fix them. I can't even get to the idle adjuster with out burning or cutting myself as it's right under the centre of the carbs.

grog

Hooli

Quote from: grog on Thursday, 08 July  2021, 05:51 PM
Pretty it up, sell it.

Nope, run it & use it in winter when salt is on the roads so the Triumphs & the GSX (when fixed up) don't suffer.

Today I proved the Hornet is female. It passed it's MOT with a clean sheet & promptly broke down 25 miles later! The reg/rec has gone, so I declutched at a junction & it just cut out. Lucky it was only 1/2 a mile from the mate I was riding too, so left it on charge there for an hour & rode it home again.

Seems the early Hornets have a reg/rec with no cooling fins & it was soon upgraded. So it's done well to last this long, there's a split in the casing & liquid has oozed out along with a bit of solder. So it's a safe bet it overheated. A replacement later one from a breakers is £24 on ebay, so that's on it's way.

VladTepes

Today I left my bike in the garage and took a bloody train to work  :bugga: because raining and I don't want to get drenched on way TO work.

(On way home I could't care less)
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

steve porter

Pumped up the Tyres as I haven't ridden for a month due to a torn meniscus, reckon I will be right to go again next week

Hooli

Well that was damn quick!

The reg/rec turned up at 8:30 this morning by courier, I only ordered about 9pm on thurs.

Colour me impressed.

grog

Top service Hooli. I was once amazed with similar. Ordered golf bag at 2pm, arrived next day at 12pm. All the way from Western Australia, thats a bloody long way.

Hooli

Indeed, that is a long way.

I did the obvious thing as I had the part to fix a bike. I went out & did 240miles on another bike as a lass I've started talking too wanted a ride. We're going again tomorrow so it can't have been too unpleasant.

Kiwifruit

Hooli was that you l saw looking in the jewelers shop window this morning     :stir:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk