News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Fishfinger

Quote from: seth on Monday, 05 November  2018, 05:37 AM
That's a great deal but you know you need 4.8ltrs to do an oil and filter change .
It'll be interesting to see how you think the bike feels with the different oil in it .
:cheers:

Don't worry Seth, I bought two 4 litre bottles. Just didn't have room for both of them in the photo ;)

I also picked up 2 oil filters, which took me over the £60 threshold to get free delivery. Now when I change the oil next time, I just have to get another 4 litre bottle and I've got enough left here to do a full change.

I always change the filter whenever I change the oil. Might as well, as filters are pretty cheap.

Speedy1959

I too change the filter each time I change the oil..
Iv'e had Sophie 13 months now and changed her oil and filter 3 times !!
But I have done 12,000 miles on her.

grog

I just thought oil n filter was normal. Why fit new oil in a dirty filter.

Mister Fishfinger

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 06 November  2018, 07:20 PM

Well I have always done it that way, but I think the official schedule is to change the filter every other time. I haven't got the manual with me to check, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Mick_J

Quote from: Mister Fishfinger on Tuesday, 06 November  2018, 07:37 PM
Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 06 November  2018, 07:20 PM

Well I have always done it that way, but I think the official schedule is to change the filter every other time. I haven't got the manual with me to check, so please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct, filter change every other oil change.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Andre

According to the official maintenance schedule, oil filter is to be replaced every 3rd oil change (18000 km).

I still change the filter with every oil change. That gets rid of 0.6 liter old oil as well. That leaves me with "only" 0.9 liter old oil instead of 1.5 liter. Draining the oil cooler gets rid of another 0.75 liter.

Overkill? Depends on your view. I want to keep her in good condition as long as possible.

seth

For the price of a filter I change everytime I change the oil .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Kiwifruit

Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

ARH

Red Biker

Playing devil's advocate here, why would the manual only advise every 3 changes, in their eyes there must be a benefit? It wouldn't just be financial as manufacture's don't work that way.

I'm not sure I've seen opinion on here go against the manufacurer before so it's peaked my curiosity!

Cheers
Red
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

seth

I change my oil every 4000 miles using Halfords 10w/40 semi synthetic oil so with a new filter it costs around £30
( filter being around £5) .
I think the motor could go 10000 miles between oil changes (like other modern bikes) if it didn't have the ceramic coated barrels so for me if the lower service intervals are due to help reducing wear in the barrels then changing the filter every oil change makes sense to me.

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

froudy

I change the filter every oil change as well. Usually 4500-5000 miles.
I buy a pack of 5 oil filters at a time if I can find them on Ebay.
HF138 is common to most Suzuki's..Pack of 5 for £29.95 with free delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hiflo-Oil-Filter-HF138-Suzuki-Motorcycle-GSX-R600-K4-K5-04-05/352311871726?hash=item52076c88ee:m:m-dfJ3y7r-2zIfmSNDFtMjw:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Andre

Quote from: Red Biker on Thursday, 08 November  2018, 06:41 AM
Playing devil's advocate here, why would the manual only advise every 3 changes, in their eyes there must be a benefit? It wouldn't just be financial as manufacture's don't work that way.

I'm not sure I've seen opinion on here go against the manufacurer before so it's peaked my curiosity!

Cheers
Red

Worse than the devil = his advocate. Be gone :devil:

Hooli

Quote from: seth on Wednesday, 07 November  2018, 03:46 AM
For the price of a filter I change everytime I change the oil .

Same here, seems daft not too as it hardly adds to the price.

mt.b

I started a fork oil & dust seal replacement today for the 1st time on my K7 14. Looks like it will have to be put on hold... Slide Bushes are showing signs of wear. Slides & Guides ordered  :popcorn:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk