News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

Quote from: hard road on Sunday, 18 June  2023, 04:37 AMnice job speedy  :onya:  did you not fancy replacing the hoses while you where at it ?
To be honest NO!
I know the fashion is to use braided lines , which I did on my previous GSX..
After I did that line replacement I noticed ZERO difference in Braking performance..
In fact the biggest difference i DID notice was using the SBS sintered pads which I swear by..
Seriously the brakes are good enough..
As my Paramedic mate said when he had a go on my bike "You wouldnt want them any stronger"!!
The SBS pads have a strong initial bite but with loads of feel..
Mine arent even bedded in yet and yet I am quite surprised at their stopping power...
The more I ride my 1400 the more I know just how good a bike these are..
If I am honest I must admit to patting her tank when Ive had a good ride out..
As my Brother once said...
"A bike is like a B**ch.. You have to form a relationship"
Whilst his comment may be very "un PC" in essence he is spot on in my opinion.
S.

hard road

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Sunday, 18 June  2023, 04:45 AM
Quote from: hard road on Sunday, 18 June  2023, 04:37 AMnice job speedy  :onya:  did you not fancy replacing the hoses while you where at it ?
To be honest NO!
I know the fashion is to use braided lines , which I did on my previous GSX..
After I did that line replacement I noticed ZERO difference in Braking performance..
In fact the biggest difference i DID notice was using the SBS sintered pads which I swear by..
Seriously the brakes are good enough..
As my Paramedic mate said when he had a go on my bike "You wouldnt want them any stronger"!!
The SBS pads have a strong initial bite but with loads of feel..
Mine arent even bedded in yet and yet I am quite surprised at their stopping power...
The more I ride my 1400 the more I know just how good a bike these are..
If I am honest I must admit to patting her tank when Ive had a good ride out..
As my Brother once said...
"A bike is like a B**ch.. You have to form a relationship"
Whilst his comment may be very "un PC" in essence he is spot on in my opinion.
S.

fair comment speedy, but the OEM hoses will start to crack and flex over time and ive even seen them split  :shocked:   but if they are in good condition then no problem.  :onya: 

Almost

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Sunday, 18 June  2023, 03:44 AMYes you should !
Mine makes a clearly audible noise for about 2 - 5 seconds as it builds pressure then stops..
I suggest you check the Fuel pump fuse.. Under the left side panel..
Mine went through a phase of randomely blowing 10 amp fuel pump fuses..
Thanks for your reply.  Will do that tomorrow.  Ps my new tank looks great. I wish I knew how to post pics.

KiwiCol

Quote from: Almost on Sunday, 18 June  2023, 05:52 AM
Quote from: Speedy1959 on Sunday, 18 June  2023, 03:44 AMYes you should !
Mine makes a clearly audible noise for about 2 - 5 seconds as it builds pressure then stops..
I suggest you check the Fuel pump fuse.. Under the left side panel..
Mine went through a phase of randomely blowing 10 amp fuel pump fuses..
Thanks for your reply.  Will do that tomorrow.  Ps my new tank looks great. I wish I knew how to post pics.

Here ya go . . .    https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=7530.0
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Speedy1959

fair comment speedy, but the OEM hoses will start to crack and flex over time and ive even seen them split  :shocked:   but if they are in good condition then no problem.  :onya: 
[/quote]

Totally agree about the cracking/splitting etc and I would NOT mess about with hoses if there was doubt about them.
I can only assume that mine look to be in such good condition becaus the bike hasnt been ridden much at all in its 15 year life (6,300 miles when I bought it), so maybe the lack of exposure to sunlight etc helped here?
I know the previous owner had it in his garage for 5 years and did 50 miles in that time!!
S.

grog

I agree Speedy, noticed no diff with braided lines. You like SBS, i like DP.

Hooli

Original hoses last yonks, I've never changed mine. They are also braided inside the rubber, try cutting an old one to prove it.
I'm sure the only reason people think braided hoses improve brakes is they were overdue a fluid change when they fit them.

Eric GSX1400K3

Imho, the rubber ages regardless of use, just like tyres.  the braid inside is only textile, yes they do last a long time, in the uv in the UK is nowhere near as bad as down under, so perhaps not so much of an issue, but I would not like to be trusting 20yo rubber in an emergency brake situation. I've seen rubber lines burst from the crimp near the banjo, and also rupture along their length.  Failure is instant, not gradual.

Advantage of a braided stainless line is the Teflon inner tube (less fluid friction) that doesn't expand, hence the 'feel' or feedback on the lever, and secondly the tight ss braid on the outside keeping it all together. Top quality braided line's like HEL and Goodridge rarely fail.

Rubber lines expand more as they get older, taking some of the pressure generated at the lever/master cylinder and so less braking performance, but that's gradual.

Note you can get new "old style" rubber hose as well, keeping the look of the bike closer to original but with the knowledge that your brakes will do what they are intended to do.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

Oh I don't disagree they age & fail eventually. My point is the vast majority of times people think an improvement is from an 'upgrade' it's really because they system has been refreshed & is working properly again so the gradual deterioration has been resolved.

grog

Agree brake hoses last a bloody long time, agree id hate to have one fail. Just fitted newies,old ones never worried me but new is new.Peace of mind and all that stuff.Very trendy blue colour and shiny washers, what else does a bloke need. 😂

Hooli

Add some white flecks on the hoses grog & the fluid will move faster making the brakes better  :stir:

grog

Sorry Hooli, i dont get into the colour faster/slower thing. Basically cant be bothered, i like them all. Would love a black one.

Hooli

Nor me really Grog, except I'm not a fan of the R/B or Primer colours.

The black ones do look good, I wouldn't get one though as keeping mine forever & got three other black bikes anyway. All three are slower than my 14 too...

However it still winds some on here up so I'll keep saying it :D

GSXKING

:stir:  :stir:  :stir: you're referred to as a shit stirer by Aussies @Hooli 🤣🤣🤣
I often lol to your posts 👍
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Hooli

Quote from: GSXKING on Monday, 19 June  2023, 07:18 PM:stir:  :stir:  :stir: you're referred to as a shit stirer by Aussies @Hooli 🤣🤣🤣
I often lol to your posts 👍

:lol: Same expression we use here, unsurprisingly I've occasionally been told I do it before now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk