News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Anyone for Scollops?

Started by Speedy1959, Tuesday, 30 May 2023, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy1959

Just noticed my front tyre is pretty scolloped on one side (Right side as you sit on the bike)..
What causes a wear pattern like that?
I am replacing both tyres later this week (Not friggin Michelins at the price they are now £435!!!)..
The tyres are Michelin Pilot Road 4 by the way.
Any ideas?
S

1.jpg

Eric GSX1400K3

Underinflated and roundabouts can do that,but that's just my experience on a Daytona 675 that showed the same symptoms when I bought it.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

VladTepes

Perhaps you plan your routes so you only turn right?  Try doing the same but with only left turns to extend tyre life  :rofl3:
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

grog

PR 2,3,4 well known for it. I had 3, worst tram trafficking tyre. Angels solve the problem.

Johno

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 30 May  2023, 08:53 PMPR 2,3,4 well known for it. I had 3, worst tram trafficking tyre. Angels solve the problem.

I had it on Angels as well.

It can't be avoided as it is caused by the camber of the road.

Roads aren't flat they are designed so that water runs away from the centre to the sides.

This road camber causes the front tyre to wear with a scallop as the front tyre is being pushed during cornering.

Just replace the tyres before the handling completely deteriorates.
Johno

GSX1400 K5 now sold
1981 GS1000G

Hooli

Michelins do that really badly and are way too expensive these days too.

SpongeBob

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 30 May  2023, 10:04 PMMichelins do that really badly and are way too expensive these days too.

Not all Michelins do that, not even slighty ;-)

IMG_20220602_104438 (Large).jpg

Hooli

Those don't have any tread on!

I think it's down to the tread blocks moving under load

Speedy1959

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 30 May  2023, 08:53 PMPR 2,3,4 well known for it. I had 3, worst tram trafficking tyre. Angels solve the problem.
Grog your soooo right about them tramlining !!!

KiwiCol

Just looking at one of your other posts Simon, you said your bike was sat for 5 years prior to you getting it, so just wondering how old those tires on it are?  Could be down to old rubber as well.   Be interesting to see the date code.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Kiwifruit

Speedy that tyre looks completely shagged. I've had three sets of PR4's and never seen that. On my second set of Road 5's no problems with those either.
I'd be checking to make sure the wheels are in line, the front end assembly and forks were all square, settings matching and free. To me it looks like more than a Tyre issue.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

KiwiCol

Si, I recall you leave the bike outside overnight, I reckon it could be the side that's accessible to rats, squirrels & badgers & they're gnawing on it overnight . . . :whistling:  :stir:

Sure looks bad though.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Agree Angels do scallop but last one took 18th ks to do it. My mates bike with Bridgestone, gone after 5th, not good enough i reckon

GSXKING

@Speedy1959 I've just checked your pic of the front tyre.
That's probably the worst I've seen.
Was it a gradual thing or overnight? Ie did handling deteriorate or just whammo?
I have so many questions lol however I'd start with the fork settings & work up from there.
Good luck 🙏🙏🙏
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Tony Nitrous

Tyres?

I love S22's, but just looking up the price for another pair fitted... AU$610... (£320).

Fark !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk