News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Michelin Road 5

Started by steve porter, Wednesday, 21 October 2020, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Nearly due rear Angel. Front only 5k old. Havent had Michelin for years but your reviews making me wonder. 7 years with Angels, maybe a change , maybe not. The Devil you know and all that crap. Havent ever had a problem with Angels. My last Michy were PR3, werent a good tyre but thats a while ago. Tram tracked very bad, didnt turn in. More thinking.

Kiwifruit

As l've said before l'm on my second set of Road 5's. Had 3 sets of Pilot Road 4's before them.
With my last set of tyres l changed the rear to a 55 profile (which l prefer). I wanted to be able to compare apples with apples so stayed Michelin otherwise l would have tried the Pirelli GT2's. Now l'm like you Grog, l'm real happy with the way the bike rides so will be sticking with the devil l know in the future..
Besides l have more in common with the Michelin Man  :facepalm:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Roo

Fitted my new Michelin road 4's yesterday.Love having a mainstand after 9 yrs of nothing(gsxr1000).

Easy job ,but when I got to the front wheel (with a car jack and a piece of wood under the headers) I found the front wheel just finger tight!   No danger with the hex bolts nipping up the axle but now the wierd wear on one side of the front tyre might explain itself?  Bike has done 21kms so the previous owner or mechanic hasn't nipped up the axle when fitting?
Can't wait to get out friday,new tyres are fantastic huh ?

VladTepes

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

Hey Roo, is the odd wear on the right side (as you sit on it) of the front?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Always is Col in my time. My last front Angel took 19th ks to do it. Bridgestone on mates 600 Honda took 4. Totally stuffed.

Roo

Quote from: 😎KiwiCol on Tuesday, 24 November  2020, 04:55 PM
Hey Roo, is the odd wear on the right side (as you sit on it) of the front?
Yeah mate,  I'm since been told road camber here in NZ ????   never experienced it on any of my previous 53 bikes !!!! ?? 
The previous owner was a tourer and didn't or hadn't adjusted the Susp .  Not much air in the tyres either ??

KiwiCol

No, it's not the road camber, it's the fact that right hand bends are longer (on left hand driving roads) than left hand bends.  3 times as far actually. Which means that side of the front tyre has been in contact with the road (leaning going round corners) much much more than the left, hence the greater wear.

My Michy's do the same.  It's at the stage now where it's a very noticeable 'drop' as I lean it over.  Time for some newbies, but it's boating season too & the boat is a very thirsty thing, so something has to wait.

Kiwifruit

Jeez Col..... now you are saying right hand bends are causing three times more damage to the environment than left hand bends.
I feel a climate change emergency coming on !!
I love speedway..... the greenies motorsport  :boogie:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Roo

Quote from: 😎KiwiCol on Thursday, 26 November  2020, 08:49 AM
No, it's not the road camber, it's the fact that right hand bends are longer (on left hand driving roads) than left hand bends.  3 times as far actually. Which means that side of the front tyre has been in contact with the road (leaning going round corners) much much more than the left, hence the greater wear.
I've never heard that one !   I always liked lefts better ,so just maybe I wore the shit out of the left side to match the right,maybe ?  lol.  In olden days if you saw a tyre worn on one side on the front there was a suspicion that the bike had ,had a bang and the frame was not straight.  Live and learn huh ?  I'll keep the pressures up and see how these new ones develope I reckon.

KiwiCol

Well, yes.  We should all do Left only, I'm sure they'd like that.

KiwiCol

Roo, if you feel inclined, draw a T intersection on some graph paper, (like a maths book) then measure / count the squares for a bike in the left lane to turn left into the centre of the lane, then do the same for a right turn.  Pretty sure it's 3 times the distance / squares.  Could be twice, been a while since I did this & can't recall exactly. 
Interesting though.
A tire only wears when it's in contact with a surface. If it spun in mid air without touching anything & it'd never wear. When we ride upright, only the centre of the tire wears, sure we've all seen that.  At the other end of the spectrum are racers, they spend most of their time leaned over & so their edges wear out first, sure we've all seen that too. Our wear is because the right hand bends are longer & we spend more time leaned over to complete the turn than we do for a left.   :imrgreen:

Eric GSX1400K3

:stir: :stir:be fair, all corners matter
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Irish in Oz

KiwiCol

naturally all roundabouts matter as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk