News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

K7 Tank Polish (wet sand to wax)

Started by SA14, Sunday, 16 August 2020, 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SA14

New delivery of my K7. First job...make her purdy-er. Starting with the paint (I'll get to the forks later - look away - oh the horror). I restore and polish headlights for a living so I decided to use the same method except without the hard sanding. I started with a wash and clay bar, then rubbed it all down with a 3,000 trizact 3 inch disc (by hand), then 3,000 Cartec compound on a 3" rotary polisher (good for small polishing jobs like headlights and tanks) followed by a 12,000 Cartec finishing polish and finally X-Wax by Meguire's. Not 100% show quality perfect but pretty good I reckon. The photos show how the bike arrived (with 3 year old dust still on it) and after the polish.

Here's a video showing the before (after wet sanding) and a small section that I finished to show the difference. If you're scared to wet sand, get a 3,000 trizact disc from your local automotive paint supplies and have at it. It's very mild and removes a lot of small scratches.

grog

SA, trizact easy to use? I have some small scratches. Even a novice on paint sanding, me, wont do any damage. Just a 75mm sander tool needed?

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

SA14

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 16 August  2020, 05:04 PM
SA, trizact easy to use? I have some small scratches. Even a novice on paint sanding, me, wont do any damage. Just a 75mm sander tool needed?

Super simple, just do it by hand, that's what I did. I only used the polisher (Milwaukee M12 BPS) for the compounding and polishing. Its just very accurate sand"paper" except on a fabric backing and computer generated exact grit that doesn't clump (as some of the cheaper brands can do) causing deep scratches. Cleanliness is extremely important as always but it'll be just like sanding. You can use the disc raw or with a backing pad like I do for a better grip, to take the finger tracks out of the equation and to make it easier to handle. I'll go out and take a picture of it and post below. Walking the doggo at the moment.

SA14

Mick_J

Well I might try the Trizact 3000 but no way am I going to stump up for the PBS.  I'll wait till Notty buys some and go round and pretend to be his best mate  ;) :lol:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

SA14

Quote from: mjgt on Sunday, 16 August  2020, 07:07 PM
Well I might try the Trizact 3000 but no way am I going to stump up for the PBS.  I'll wait till Notty buys some and go round and pretend to be his best mate  ;) :lol:

Yeah, luckily I use P85 Crystal Coating (85% SiO2) in my business so I have some lying around. You only need a few drops but I'm keen to see if it's a possible solution to the problem I read a lot of people are having in here and that's constant polishing. I use this stuff to prevent headlights from going yellow after I restore them and it really works so I'm guessing it might also work on metal. We shall find out. Happy to be the guinea pig on this.

gsxbarmy

Given how thin Suzuki paintwork is, I'm in awe that you were able to find enough paint and lacquer to sand and still have paint left!

Great job though  :onya:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

SA14

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Sunday, 16 August  2020, 07:42 PM
Given how thin Suzuki paintwork is, I'm in awe that you were able to find enough paint and lacquer to sand and still have paint left!

Great job though  :onya:

Very very very light touch and only by hand. Just enough to introduce a slight haze (like my movie above) as it takes off a few microns and smooths out some peaks leading to a great shine. And I'll only ever do it once. Once polished my paint needs to be protected with wax (or ceramic) so it never needs to be done again.

Notty

You could sell one of your fleet Mick and buy a litre or 2 ??  :rofl2:
@mjgt
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Mick_J

Quote from: Notty on Sunday, 16 August  2020, 09:50 PM
You could sell one of your fleet Mick and buy a litre or 2 ??  :rofl2:
@mjgt

Not a chance, I am actually considering buying another, just looking at what might fit the bill.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk