News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Prepping my bike for it's M.O.T next Saturday, pass light was'nt working so I undid the housing to find the spring was'nt located properly, fixed that and now I can flash to my hearts content, rest of the bike is all good so I'm not expecting any problems  :notworthy:

Tally

Bike went in for it's M.O.T. Today ,passed with flying colours, only adjustment was the headlamp as it was a bit too high. Mileage was 709 miles for the year which I was surprised with as I thought I'd done more than that. If we get a nice summer I might try and double it :rofl2:. Quite draughty and cold this morning.

Eric GSX1400K3

Finally got around to changing the forkoil and seals on my K3 this weekend.  Had my new seals and kit delivered during the week, and I waited until I had stripped the forks to get the right fork oil.

So stripped out the front wheel, hugger and calipers, removed the staunchions from the triple clamp, this was easy and took about 30min.

Followed the excellent instructions on here, and managed to get both L and R forks apart in about an hour.  They are genuine K3 forks, the oil inside was black as night, had a metallic sheen and didn't smell all that great.  Had the metal spacers at the top and the white plastic retainer at the bottom and standard springs.

Spent a lot of time cleaning everything out, especially the internal cartridge, lower rebound adjuster and upper compression cartridge.  Once cleaned, everything came up great, no damage or wear.

Cleaned everything out with compressed air, then flushed the lower cartridge out with new 5w full Synthetic  oil. The tip about the 2000 grit wet and dry paper works a treat, the slides came up beautifully.  Also did the bore where the seals seat.

Reassembly was easier than I expected, new seals and retainer clips, internal bushes and oil filled to the 108mm air gap, back in the bike and all torqued up, set the staunchions 5mum proud of the top triple clamp, to sharpen up the steering angle a touch.

One of the caliper mounting bolts fractured on reassembly, even before I got to the specified torque, so I changed them all out for new PC8.8 just to be sure.

Unfortunately didn't get to test ride yet, but the front end already feels a lot tighter, there's no clunk when forcing the end down.  Set the adjusters to my previous settings, now just need to ride it to do the final adjustments.

Thanks for all the great tech info on here, was definitely very helpful

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

I always replace the bolts in the yokes every couple of times too. If you watch how they do up the bolts bend at the head end as they get tight. I've had one snap & it was murder to sort, I ended up replacing the lower yoke. So I replace the bolts to avoid it happening again.

northern

Start it with my new, custom fuel pump/filter solution  :boogie2:
There is some words and pics regarding it: http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=4100.msg53527#msg53527

VladTepes

Today rode to work.
Sunny in the morning. Rained on way home. I don't care, still enjoyed it.

Had to fuel up on way home. How big is the tank in a suzuki swift? He only spent $4 more than me to fill it.
Mind you I was buying premium 98 and he was buying 91
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Mrg

hi guys
fitted a dead simple four way hazard switch the bike today so simple to do got a hazard switch of flea bay three wire type . and in the electric wiring diagram from the Suzuki manual  book there is a cluster in the head lamp black wire sky blue and green the relay goes to the black and the other two go the blue /green  . wired up to this from the switch ,mounted it on the silver dash just below the trip and he presto it works great .cost me £4.00 for the hazard switch   :onya:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

KiwiCol

What model you got MRG?  My K6 has a hazard switch on right hand cluster.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Mrg

Hi kiwicol
I have a 01 plate so I had to fit mine but all good now I have one  :onya:

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

From memory the K3 onwards has hazards because they don't trust the owners of lesser models to manage to turn their lights on at the right time.

seth

@Hooli
I think it was a European thing all vehicles from a certain date( i dont remember the date when it actually was) had to have daytime lights.
Suzuki then used the headlight on/off switch as the hazard lights switch.
I do use my hazard light every now and then and I'm not bothered about the headlights being on all the time.
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

Aye I think it's an EU thing too, but only cause they knew that riders who bought inferior 14s needed it doing for them  :stir:

Kiwifruit

@Mrg When Britain leaves the EU you can take it back for a credit  :whistling:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Mrg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm could have to wait a f long time for that credit kiwi lol 😂

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk