News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Custom intank fuelpump/filter solution

Started by northern, Thursday, 11 April 2019, 07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northern

Year ago, tuning PCV on dyno, I face and issue, when there were not enough fuel on high revs, and my 14 didn't get all the power it could get with Yoshi cams.

As I find out - fuel filter was full of crap, and fuel pump was able to deliver only 0.4L instead of 1.2L in 30 sec.

I solve this issue, buy drilling a hole in to oem fuel filter and installing at first replaceable: http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=590.msg41028#msg41028
and than reusable external fuel filter http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=590.msg43065#msg43065

Even this was not a bad solution, I had itching what filter was AFTER pressure regulator. An also the look, even it was almost not visible, I would prefer not to see it at all.
So I decide to create some solution, when filter will be where it was designed to be - inside the fuel tank.

At firsts, I want to use AN fittings, so I order a lot of different parts from e-bay. But when I had them all (and even more), I understand what system assembled using AN6 fittings (AN4 inside diameter seems better then AN4) will just not fit inside the tank. So AN solution was discarded.

Somehow, I came to idea to use copper solderable tubing and fittings, outside diameter 10mm. Those pipes have inside diameter of ~8mm, what is more then enough to feed GSX engine. I order new Golan Mini reusable fuel filter, but now with 3/8'' fittings (my previous was with 5/16''). Copper parts were purchased from local plumbing warehouse. Solder and torch I had.
Almost forgot - I had a new fuel-pump, which I get from Amazon (Quantum). It was almost direct replacement to OEM pump. I just switch wires from OEM pump, and had some hard time installing t-bag filter, but other ways it can be used in OEM system.

Long story short - on last weekend of March, I take OEM pump apart, and cut the plastic part in peaces. THERE IS NO WAY BACK NOW!
From exiting OEM part, using rotary tool, I fabricate bracket for my new pump. IMHO, it came out peaty neat.

northern

First, I make this part. Even I was soldering tubes first time in my life, having just YouTube experience, it came out good, and I was really proud with it.
But, when I put it all together - it simply did not fit thou the pump hole of the fuel tank!!!  :facepalm:

Pressure regulator was on the way  :furious:

Nothing to do - I had to find a new solution (or to bye new OEM fuel pump)...

northern

This Monday, I bought new copper fittings (this time with reserve) and after work start manufacturing from begging.
Because it was second time, now I have experiences and ideas how to improve some details.

It take me 3 evenings, but today I start my 14 with newest fuel pump/filter solution! :onya:

Cant say, I'm 100% happy how it came out, but I will improve it over the time, and who know's, maybe will make third solution :)

Snapey

That looks a great job but I have to ask why? To clean my external filter I lift the tank & the filter is in front of me & ready to clean. The pump stays in the tank.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

northern

Quote from: northern on Thursday, 11 April  2019, 07:05 AM
I had itching what filter was AFTER pressure regulator. An also the look, even it was almost not visible, I would prefer not to see it at all.
Yes, from cleaning perspective - it's much easier to access when filter is outside.
But, I think fuel pressure regulator should be after the filter, because filter is reducing pressure (a little, but still) and if regulator is before filter, theoretically fuel preasure on the rail will be slightly lower then it will be if filter fill be before regulator.

I absolutely understand, this is theory and in reality it will not make big difference, but I just want it to be like this :)

grog

Stunning job mate. If thats what you wanted all praise. Im with Snapey on external filter, we have similar. My bike has run perfectly since fitting, easy to clean. No tech talk from me but when i first fitted i could really notice a much more responsive and free revving motor. Still is. Great job Northern.

northern

@grog
Thanks!

As I remember - your and @Snapey filter was 30 or 40 microns, and they are slightly smaller then smallest 10 microns filter I was able to find. So your outside solution was more elegant when mine.

I enjoy fabricating it, other ways I would go for new OEM part.

KiwiCol

Quote from: northern on Thursday, 11 April  2019, 08:48 PM
@grog
Thanks!

As I remember - your and @Snapey filter was 30 or 40 mikrons, and they are slightly smaller then smalest 10 mikrons filter I was able to find. So your outside solution was more elegant when mine.

Errrrrm, wouldn't 10 microns be smaller than 30 microns and smaller again than 40 microns?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

northern

Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 12 April  2019, 02:37 AM
Quote from: northern on Thursday, 11 April  2019, 08:48 PM
@grog
Thanks!

As I remember - your and @Snapey filter was 30 or 40 microns, and they are slightly smaller then smallest 10 microns filter I was able to find. So your outside solution was more elegant when mine.

Errrrrm, wouldn't 10 microns be smaller than 30 microns and smaller again than 40 microns?
Sorry for confusing - by smaller I mean smaller casing.
@grog and @Snapey use Proflow Competition Billet Reusable 30 Micron Fuel Filter which have smaller casing then Golan Mini 10 micron fuel filter what I use.

KiwiCol

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Speedy1959

Very nice Northern..
Your solution reminds me of those "Steam Punk" creations

KiwiCol

'allo Simon, nice to see ya mate!   How's that new lump of yours going?

Speedy1959

Hi KC
I do keep lurking on here regularly..
My lump is running well thanks mate.
Yesterday I replaced the swing arm bearings.. I can say that it was a much harder job than on the Suzuki !
Coolant expansion bottle has to be removed for one..

I shall keep lurking and doing the odd post KC..

S

seth

Good to see you on @Speedy1959 (simon) hope life is good with you and things are going well .
Will give you a call soon for a catch up .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk