Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish in Oz

It's fun lifting the bikes up on to the mezzanine floor.
K800_WP_20170802_16_14_01_Pro.JPG

dave55

Well after going for ride with the missus on Thursday , pulled in for a cuppa and found the rear o/s shock leaking and dripping down onto the wheel. After cleaning what i could off with a rag we went home the last 18 mile very carefully . Washed the back end of bike and wrapped a rag around the leaking shock and put bike away for the night
Went and looked in shed following morning and Bugga the other side was pissing oil out , yes its deffo oil and running from seal on main damper shaft and down the shaft and out!!! :facepalm:
So i guess its time for new shocks after 31600ml on these Original Standard shocks , my options seem to be £300 for a used pair from Ebay with around the same mileage  :thumbs_down: or a new pair from Hagons for around £400 . Saw a 1400 with some on in stainless steel and blue fittings and he said they were £480 Hmmmmm :confused1: They were nice though, will need to think about this one over a pint this weekend :cheers:

hard road

Quote from: dave55 on Saturday, 05 August  2023, 07:41 PMWell after going for ride with the missus on Thursday , pulled in for a cuppa and found the rear o/s shock leaking and dripping down onto the wheel. After cleaning what i could off with a rag we went home the last 18 mile very carefully . Washed the back end of bike and wrapped a rag around the leaking shock and put bike away for the night
Went and looked in shed following morning and Bugga the other side was pissing oil out , yes its deffo oil and running from seal on main damper shaft and down the shaft and out!!! :facepalm:
So i guess its time for new shocks after 31600ml on these Original Standard shocks , my options seem to be £300 for a used pair from Ebay with around the same mileage  :thumbs_down: or a new pair from Hagons for around £400 . Saw a 1400 with some on in stainless steel and blue fittings and he said they were £480 Hmmmmm :confused1: They were nice though, will need to think about this one over a pint this weekend :cheers:

the OEM shocks are pretty good so what about getting them rebuilt ?

dave55

Thanks , if i knew a company who could rebuild them it would be an option . Are they rebuildable then , i always thought they were decent shocks ?

hard road

Quote from: dave55 on Saturday, 05 August  2023, 11:23 PMThanks , if i knew a company who could rebuild them it would be an option . Are they rebuildable then , i always thought they were decent shocks ?

yes they are rebuildable, and yes they are good shocks  :onya:   

Speedy1959

Quote from: dave55 on Saturday, 05 August  2023, 11:23 PMThanks , if i knew a company who could rebuild them it would be an option . Are they rebuildable then , i always thought they were decent shocks ?

Dave
Which country are you in?

If in the UK then here:

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/shock-absorber-rebuild-repair-service-all

dave55

Yes i am in UK opposite coast to you in a straight line over them darn Pennines  :grin: , will check prices with Brooks on Monday and meantime look up YSS   Thanks  :cheers:

dave55

Right after a morning ferreting about and measuring etc Rang Brooks suspension and to rebuild shocks it will cost £155 per shock plus postage . This does not include cleaning them , if they are dirty cleaning is extra. And is not a full strip down and rebuild , only to strip out piston and polish piston rod, fit new seal to piston and shaft seal. Could be a bottomless pit on that one then.
A New pair of YSS shocks similar to originals , 2yr Guarantee, inc vat  £645
Will now ring Hagons but to be honest having read a few reviews on them was not impressed and not all made in Britain just assembled here, back in a short while   :)

dave55

Well that rules Hagons out on cost £678 for Nitros .....But if you ride 50% solo and 50% two up and your weight is lets say 17st in your bike gear boots and helmet etc that leaves you around 12st for the pillion in their bike gear :bugga:  So then they have to Upgrade with stiffer spring and bits and then set for your weight or combined weight which would then be like sitting on a rock when solo the sales chappie said :embarrassed: But also PRICE would increase to reflect extra work involved but no indication how much. :whistling:
Now i have known people whose combined weight must have been 35stone maybe more and the standard shocks worked fine on MCN settings and did not bottom out the springs so now nearer to ordering the YSS ones which look similar to the original standard shocks and have the same amount of adjusters etc   :computer_type:  :cheers:

hard road

Quote from: dave55 on Tuesday, 08 August  2023, 12:01 AMRight after a morning ferreting about and measuring etc Rang Brooks suspension and to rebuild shocks it will cost £155 per shock plus postage . This does not include cleaning them , if they are dirty cleaning is extra. And is not a full strip down and rebuild , only to strip out piston and polish piston rod, fit new seal to piston and shaft seal. Could be a bottomless pit on that one then.
A New pair of YSS shocks similar to originals , 2yr Guarantee, inc vat and postage £645
Will now ring Hagons but to be honest having read a few reviews on them was not impressed and not all made in Britain just assembled here, back in a short while  :)

£310 for a rebuild sounds like a rip off to me  ???  the seals won't be that expensive it sounds like all labour  :whatever: 

dave55

Andre

Quote from: hard road on Tuesday, 08 August  2023, 01:30 AM£310 for a rebuild sounds like a rip off to me  ??? 

That would be considered cheap where I live :happy1:

Roo

Popped a new Batt in this morning.  Original has done well my bikes an 07 !   15 yrs is pretty good for a Batt huh ?   
Now for some riding weather, it is Winter here in NZ|.

Roo

Andre

Quote from: dave55 on Tuesday, 08 August  2023, 01:28 AMYSS ones which look similar to the original standard shocks and have the same amount of adjusters

@dave55
Don't know which ones you are looking at, but mine (RG362-335TRCL-07) have 30 clicks for compression and rebound. That's alot more than oem. Not as comfortable with the preload (use a small rod to turn the spindle).

£574.57 (VAT incl.) at Brooks Barn

According to them, they come with 46-20-30-200 springs. For my weight, which happens to be 108kg (17st) in the nude, and for my liking/riding (sporty in the corners) they are to soft. Switched them to 46-25-35-200. 15/15 clicks out on the dampings and I am a happy camper. Not sure on the preload. I will check if there is interest.

Front forks (in case anyone is interested): Wilbers progressive springs, Liqui Moly 7.5w (22.1 mm²/s) fork oil, air gap 150mm, preload 5 rings, rebound 3 out, compression 9 out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk