News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

Oh, and here i thought it was just a tailight globe you were swapping out.... :stir:

Looking good Hooli, she'll be a beaut once all back together again.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

steve porter

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 14 January  2021, 03:50 AM
This might cause palpitations amongst some members, so you might not want to look in case it shocks you @gsxbarmy 

I've cleaned up the cases etc to start rebuilding my Bonnie, I just need to wash them to ensure the autosol is off & remove the remains of the degreaser from their initial wash. That can get done tomorrow though. I've included a before & after so you can see the state she'd got into being left for so long.

After that, it's fit the new sludge trap & I can start assembling her again. The trap should be easy, the old one is already out & I've cleaned the crank out.
I've ridden a lot of different bikes over the years, but never tried one of those or a twin cyl Norton

grog

Bonnies were ok, they vibrate a bit but a good ride within their limits. Norton, ive written b4 about my experience. 1973 850 Roadster. Worst bike ive owned. Its looks were outstanding, black n gold, just a beautiful bike. Burnt valves, clutch just terrible, charging system useless, very hard to start, carbs 2nd rate. It leaked oil, isolastic shims, to stop vibration, just always out of adjustment. They used to rave about their handling, i found it terrible. Stupid stand design. Yep, i tried hard with that bike, one hour ride, 4 hours fix. Hated the bloody thing. Dont think any other bike came close to being as bad.

Hooli

Quote from: stick3 on Thursday, 14 January  2021, 07:46 AM
just oil /filter change

Oddly enough...

I had to totally strip her down for access to the swingarm pivot, it's an OIF model so the pivot tube goes through the oil tank & was leaking. Plus there is the sludge trap, a centrifugal oil filter inside the crankshaft that I've cleaned out too.

So you're not as far out as you'd think  :clapping:

GSXKING

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 14 January  2021, 03:50 AM
This might cause palpitations amongst some members, so you might not want to look in case it shocks you @gsxbarmy 

I've cleaned up the cases etc to start rebuilding my Bonnie, I just need to wash them to ensure the autosol is off & remove the remains of the degreaser from their initial wash. That can get done tomorrow though. I've included a before & after so you can see the state she'd got into being left for so long.

After that, it's fit the new sludge trap & I can start assembling her again. The trap should be easy, the old one is already out & I've cleaned the crank out.
"Once seen can't be unseen" @Hooli  :stir: :stir: :stir:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Hooli

My oil temp sensor turned up today, which should cure my 14's excessive thirst.

Two bolts to fit but look how much I had to take off to get any spanners in there. As I'm sure you all know, it fits using the two bolt holes nearest the starter in this pic.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 17 January  2021, 03:04 AM

Two bolts to fit but look how much I had to take off to get any spanners in there. As I'm sure you all know, it fits using the two bolt holes nearest the starter in this pic.

Lets hope that fixes the problem Andy
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Hooli

I hope so, it should do as the old one was reading massively out from the correct readings.

I need to replace the relay on my aux feed while it's apart as that's been playing up for a bit & get some new tyres fitted before I can test run it.

Mick_J

When I took mine out it was held in with allen bolts so I could take it out without removing anything else, it was a real twat to get to though.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Hooli

Quote from: mjgt on Sunday, 17 January  2021, 07:30 PM

When I took mine out it was held in with allen bolts so I could take it out without removing anything else, it was a real twat to get to though.

Mine was too, but I couldn't get them to undo like that. I did try but they'd seized in place, one needed a few taps with a cold chisel to free it off. When I tried it without removing everything it was very quickly apparent I could strip it like I did to get to them or ruin the heads trying not too & give myself more hard work.

Besides I needed to adjust the throttle cables anyway & that got done when I put the throttle bodies back  :lol:

Mick_J

It is a real twat of a job, I did have to do a fair bit of jiggery pokery to get it done.  I hope it cures your fuelling.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

VladTepes

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

steve porter

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 19 January  2021, 04:13 PM
Quote from: steve porter on Tuesday, 12 January  2021, 04:27 PM
Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 12 January  2021, 04:01 PM
Tutoro oiler?  How doe sit differ from a  scottoiler ?  $ ?

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

Where did you buy it Steve?

Direct from tutoro, turned up pretty quickly and I have to say it works a treat

Grumpy old man

Today I got stuck into making my new to me bike healthier so out with the old and in with the new

Air filter Plugs and throttle body balance

Tomorrow is oil Filter and oil along with brake and clutch fluid along with cleaning out sprocket cover gunk

The Air filter that I removed was so black that it did not allow any daylight to pass through it at all

All 4 Plugs were black and sooty as well as rusting

all throttle bodies were like a podium with 1 and 4 low and 2 and 3 higher all good now

Also force fed the throttle cables with dry teflon spray (Dry Glide) and put some silicone grease around inside the throttle cable housing and under the throttle tube and adjusted cables and did tps adjustment

Bike now purrs and sounds soo much better

Soooo much easier to twist and smoother and snaps back twice as fast now

So much for just had a service mate,  maybe an oil and filter but nothing else ( oil filter looks new )

Grumpy old man

Quote from: Grumpy old man on Thursday, 21 January  2021, 05:03 PM
Today I got stuck into making my new to me bike healthier so out with the old and in with the new

Air filter Plugs and throttle body balance

Tomorrow is oil Filter and oil along with brake and clutch fluid along with cleaning out sprocket cover gunk

The Air filter that I removed was so black that it did not allow any daylight to pass through it at all

All 4 Plugs were black and sooty as well as rusting

all throttle bodies were like a podium with 1 and 4 low and 2 and 3 higher all good now

Also force fed the throttle cables with dry teflon spray (Dry Glide) and put some silicone grease around inside the throttle cable housing and under the throttle tube and adjusted cables and did tps adjustment

Bike now purrs and sounds soo much better

Soooo much easier to twist and smoother and snaps back twice as fast now

So much for just had a service mate,  maybe an oil and filter but nothing else ( oil filter looks new )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk