Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTTW

Pick up tube can be fitted with engine in place. A thin metal sheet or similar "tool" can be used to hold the tube in place, while maneuvering the sump back in place.

steve porter

Quote from: DTTW on Saturday, 23 July  2022, 06:50 PM
Pick up tube can be fitted with engine in place. A thin metal sheet or similar "tool" can be used to hold the tube in place, while maneuvering the sump back in place.

I used a length of stainless lockwire lightly wrapped that I pulled out at the last second like David Copperfield , still a pain in the arse

Hooli

KiwiCol

I still can't recall exactly what I did, but I know I got the loose pipe to stay in place (only just) while I fitted the sump.  Possibly slightly deformed it enough to just hold it there.  As I said, I can't recall, but that'd work.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Well I didn't look today. My back was hurting too much to do anything useful & then I fell asleep as soon as I sat on the sofa waiting for it to free up.

I might look tomorrow as it's due to rain.

Hooli

Hmm bargain if I have to get a new one...

grog

Hooli,MSP somewhere your way. 220 with free freight.

Hooli

Thanks Grog.

I hadn't searched, just checked the first place I know for the part number.

Tony Nitrous

Busa is sitting on a rear paddock stand. Very hard to turn the front wheel to do tyre pressure or cleaning.

12 paddock stands and not 1 spare!

Looks at bikes. Scratches head. Has a think. Fights the urge to buy another stand... although....

Mk-1 Bandits not going anywhere soon and is sitting on a rear paddock stand. A hunt through my parts pile finds a Bandit centre stand, a hunt through my tools finds a spring puller.

Bandit is now up on a centre stand. Busa is up on 2 paddock stands.

Had a look at the GSX14 and B-King. 14 fired up fine. King didn't. King had a new Reg/Rec a while back and battery hasn't been great since. I think between the old Reg/Rec and being stored for a while I'm due another battery.

Tony Nitrous

Having a look at the naked Gen-1 Busa's brakes. 

They were never all that great. New lines, fluid and pads so sort of OK but nothing special. 

Then the bike got parked up whilst I was ill, and then renovating, then parked up in storage whilst I was building. 

Now we had to unbolt the 6-plops to even push the bike on the last move and I remembered the master cylinder was off the faired Busa and sits at a way to steep angle on Renthals. 

It'd all work again if I just serviced and rebuild the brake system, but it's an idea time to upgrade it. 

grog

Rebuild them , Vlad also reckoned 4 pots better, he gave me his old 6 pots. 3 pistons were seized. no wonder new calipers better. $170 for seal kit and DP pads.

Hooli

People saying the four pots are better makes me chuckle.

When I had that Triumph Sprint GT everyone on their owners forum said bin the four pots and fit our six pots for better brakes.

I'm sure a lot of it is just newly rebuilt brakes against old seized ones. Especially as the Triumph boys said the four pots seize up quicker than our six pots, just like some here say the other way around.

grog

I agree. In good nick, both would work fine. Think old CB750 was a 1 potter. Thought it was ok until GT 750 got 2 discs, K model. Diavel had radials, incredible. How things change. First GT750 had drum brake, Inoue front tyre, no grip, first stop on a cold day was interesting. Either nothing or locked up, great choice.

Tony Nitrous

I have 2 bikes currently with 6 pots, and have had several others in the past including a brand new Gen-1 Busa. I've never been impressed with them, even brand new, or with better lines, fluid and pads. I know they need care and maintaining but they were never anything special. Suzuki and others went back to 4 pots and dropped the 6's before they went to radials. I'm not a fan. It'll be interesting to try something else. I need new / different masters to will do the whole system.

Hooli

Well I've found what's happened to my sump. The exhaust must have been rubbing years ago & left a weak spot that finally failed. It can't be recent due to all the corrosion on the outside of the worn area,

There's a decent alloy welder locally that a mate has recommended so it'll be going to him for repair.

At least the engine is nice & clean inside, proving 4k miles oil changes are plenty for these lumps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk