News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Tank Repaint

Started by Astroboy, Thursday, 01 October 2026, 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astroboy

Just wondering if anyone has painted a tank ?   I know the tanks were painted with a base colour, decals applied and then clear coated.  Has anyone done this ?.....If so any advice would be appreciated.. ...like if there are places like this one to get the decals from ( I know there not OEM )....I've got a professional spray painter ready to go, but was wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out ?

Thanks Mark 😊

http://motor-stickers.com/






grog

Hey Mate. Havent done a 14 tank but did do a couple of Ducati. My mate also spray painter. All was good until decals on and then clear coat. Kept bubbling the decals, something to do with type of clear used.Sorry I don't know what. I bought 4 or 5 sets of stickers, they swapped clear coat,eventually worked perfectly.Not much help but that's all I know.Forgot, also did gs1000, those paint jobs all stood up well for a long time.

Eric GSX1400K3

I think MickyJB on here talked about repaintingba tank and finding the decals on ebay.

Should be straight forward for a decent spray painter
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Mick_J

Had my tank done a year ago, had to get decals from Japan as they were 1/2 the price of uk ones, cant tell its been repainted.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Kiwifruit

Quite right grog, mate and I used to repair and paint bike bits, I'd do the bodywork and he'd paint them. Certainly remember the sticker issue. They'd boil up under the clear. The only way around the issue then was to use genuine factory decals.
Things may have changed in the last 40 years :confused1:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk