News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

Oil Temperature sensor

Started by RipleyRich, Friday, 18 September 2026, 04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RipleyRich

Does anyone have, or know where I can purchase an Oil Temperature Sensor?

Neither Fowlers or Robinsons Foundry have any.

Phill P

No longer made and unavailable, couple threads running at mo looking at options, Febi 184768 Sensor Oil Temperature Fits Scania 2 - Series 4 F G K N P R, looks very similar design but specs and size are probably off, the search continues.
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Irish in Oz

#2
I think you will find it hard to get one to fit without modification to the engine mounting point.
Found it hard to get specs on that sensor, the figures I did get where far to low in resistance to suit the 1400.
So be careful.

Barbastro K6

Given its price you can purchase one.
Then measure ohms and accordingly return it or not.
I wish this could be done with all obsolete spare parts.

There is even the possibility of inserting an external resistance that makes it suitable

grog

Barbastro, I've searched the world and none available. External resistor would be possible, potentiometer,can buy with led screen to show what resistance.Would be like having manual choke on old cars😁

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: grog on Friday, 18 September  2026, 04:54 PMBarbastro, I've searched the world and none available. External resistor would be possible, potentiometer,can buy with led screen to show what resistance.Would be like having manual choke on old cars😁
yeah, but you'd need to be turning it constantly to adjust afr due to changes in engine rpm or am I mistaken ?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Blubber

I have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

grog

Mistaken Eric, just the temp to resistance required. I figured around 6k ohms is pretty much my bikes running temp?? Hope it never gets to this, hopefully Webike can supply. 🤞

Blubber

Regarding the oil temp sensor:

I just sent out an e-mail to a breaker in France for a shipping quote to the Netherlands for a pre-owned one.

If they reply AND are willing to ship to the Netherlands... i should be able to test that sensor at work as we have have a dry heat block with a temperature read out and I can measure and write down the resistance value per temperature.

Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 05:29 PMI have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
saw that too, so I ordered and paid for one.  Email the next day that these are discontinued.  I asked if they could find an alternative, they are looking for me.  They also apologised that thr website hasn't updated to say NA or out of stock etc.

I tried to order one from a us company, couldn't buy as it wanted a us address.

Not keen on second-hand, there must be similar sensors around, Irish found one, but its threaded unlike the oem unit.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Blubber

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 18 September  2026, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 05:29 PMI have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
saw that too, so I ordered and paid for one.  Email the next day that these are discontinued.  I asked if they could find an alternative, they are looking for me.  They also apologised that thr website hasn't updated to say NA or out of stock etc.

I tried to order one from a us company, couldn't buy as it wanted a us address.

Not keen on second-hand, there must be similar sensors around, Irish found one, but its threaded unlike the oem unit.

I just ordered the second hand one from France for testing purposes.

I suspect that Suzuki has used a generic sensor and just potted it into the specific GSX1400 holder.

When it arrives i will ask the guys from our calibration department if they can identify the element EG a PT1000 and what a replacement might be.


As i am a mechanical minded spanner monkey i am sure they will want to lecture me in that  :smile2:

To me it looks like you can drill out the old sensor , insert a suitable temperature probe , refill with zinc paste and water proof it with RS potting compound.

Call it a retrofit
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Irish in Oz

Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 07:31 PM
Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 18 September  2026, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 18 September  2026, 05:29 PMI have not ordered one but Webike Japan claims the oil temperature sensor is available BUT made to order.

Hope this is true and helps
saw that too, so I ordered and paid for one.  Email the next day that these are discontinued.  I asked if they could find an alternative, they are looking for me.  They also apologised that thr website hasn't updated to say NA or out of stock etc.

I tried to order one from a us company, couldn't buy as it wanted a us address.

Not keen on second-hand, there must be similar sensors around, Irish found one, but its threaded unlike the oem unit.

I just ordered the second hand one from France for testing purposes.

I suspect that Suzuki has used a generic sensor and just potted it into the specific GSX1400 holder.

When it arrives i will ask the guys from our calibration department if they can identify the element EG a PT1000 and what a replacement might be.


As i am a mechanical minded spanner monkey i am sure they will want to lecture me in that  :smile2:

To me it looks like you can drill out the old sensor , insert a suitable temperature probe , refill with zinc paste and water proof it with RS potting compound.

Call it a retrofit

Your mechanical not electical or electronic good luck.

Phill P

I purchased from fowlers and got a refund the next day, tried webike same result, another place in Australia same result.
The sensor is unique to the gsx, is not threaded so normal sensors won't fit unless modded. Also look at the shape of it where the O ring sits and the thickness of material behind the O ring. Hooli has very helpfully put up dimensions up so it gives someone half a chance of getting it correct, I found one that looked similar but Irish found the specs and that won't work.
My take is fit a sensor elsewhere like the oil gallery block offs either side of the engine, haven't a clue if it would work but the threads are correct, or fit a resistor in the line to the temp sensor with effectively a cold start switch.

:cheers:
Thankfully we all like different things, and I like a modded GSX1400

Blubber

Quote from: Phill P on Friday, 18 September  2026, 07:52 PMI purchased from fowlers and got a refund the next day, tried webike same result, another place in Australia same result.
The sensor is unique to the gsx, is not threaded so normal sensors won't fit unless modded. Also look at the shape of it where the O ring sits and the thickness of material behind the O ring. Hooli has very helpfully put up dimensions up so it gives someone half a chance of getting it correct, I found one that looked similar but Irish found the specs and that won't work.
My take is fit a sensor elsewhere like the oil gallery block offs either side of the engine, haven't a clue if it would work but the threads are correct, or fit a resistor in the line to the temp sensor with effectively a cold start switch.

:cheers:

I can confirm it is indeed no longer available from Webike Japan dispite my previous claim. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Just got the email.


A threaded solution in another location in the oil gallery ... like the fan switch ... sound like a good alternative
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Barbastro K6

nothing beats teamwork!!   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk