News:

20 January 2026 was our 9th birthday! We're flying toward double digits.

Main Menu

External fuel pump & regulator

Started by Buck, Thursday, 20 May 2021, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck

Hi everyone I'm looking for some help. I am building a chop with a k2 gsx1400 engine & I'm looking to use an external fuel pump & regulator as the original fuel pump wont fit my custom tank. Can anyone please help & point me in the right direction as to what pump & regulator I need.

All info much appreciated.

Buck 🤘

P.S I also have a k7 final edition as I just love the 14s 🤘

KiwiCol

Hi Buck, I know nothing about external fuel pumps, but this same question came up recently & there was only 1 response, that was from T24, his answer is below.  Hope it's of some use to you.




I have seen external pump and regulator in turbo GSX here in turboland. The pump was Bosch "044" type, but the type of regulator I can't
remember.
But if you are going to run stock engine without turbo, you need only 1:1,  3 bar regulator, and you don't need so big pump either.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

T 24

Almost every external fuel pump from any fuel injected car will fit (Bosch, Mitsubishi). You don't need any high perf pumps.
The regu you'll need is direct 3 bar regulator with no vacuum corrections.

grog

Buck, search Quantum, they have lots of products/answers.

Buck


Blubber

The 99 / 2000 hayabusa.. has a external fuel pump for the injection. ..just to add to the search.

I opted to fit a stock 14 fuel pump in my project to hide it.

The fpr is 3bar like mentioned earlier.

Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

beekay

Some nice fab work on that frame Buck :worshippy:
The older I get, the faster I was !

Buck


GSXKING

I don't think I've seen a four cylindered chopper in this century. Please keep us posted on your progress  :onya: :onya:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Ade

Hi everyone I'm looking for some help. I am building a chop with a k2 gsx1400 engine & I'm looking to use an external fuel pump & regulator as the original fuel pump wont fit my custom tank. Can anyone please help & point me in the right direction as to what pump & regulator I need.
Hi, I know this is an old post but I am in a similar situation now. What external fuel pump and regulator did you get in the end?

Barbastro K6

A very feasible pump due to its easy external placement and with an external filter is the Yamaha FZ-FZX750.
See your workshop manual for more details.

Ade

Quote from: Barbastro K6 on Friday, 02 October  2026, 04:31 PMA very feasible pump due to its easy external placement and with an external filter is the Yamaha FZ-FZX750.
See your workshop manual for more details.
[/quote
I looked at those and they only flow 60 lph. The GSX pump flows 100-120 lph. Some specs I have found say 80-110 lph. One spec sheet I found said 140 lph. I am looking at the Walbro GSL range, they come in different flow rates from 130 lph through to around 450 lph. I am thinking of a 150 lph, or 200 lph that I can turn down on the regulator. That way if it needs increasing when I get it Dyno mapped I will be able to set the flow right.

Ade

I have a Ramair baseplate panel filter with a custom 3mm baseplate to use the original airbox rubbers. I have Lextek 40mm headers with two link pipes, not sure on end cans yet. I will modify the link pipes and make end cans to suit my hardtail frame. It's tiny compared to a stock GSX. Old school 1980's/1990's hardtail original streetfighter style. SRAD wheels and Aprilia RSV1000 radial brake front end with Brembo brakes. I have the matching rear Brembo caliper to go with the front ones.

Blubber

For my 1400 project i will be using the external fuel pump and regulator of an early Hayabusa. The 1999 and 2000 model. After that they went to the in-tank version. They look like this is you want to keep it OEM
Screenshot_20261003_074328_eBay.jpg
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Ade

Quote from: T 24 on Thursday, 20 May  2021, 04:31 PMAlmost every external fuel pump from any fuel injected car will fit (Bosch, Mitsubishi). You don't need any high perf pumps.
The regu you'll need is direct 3 bar regulator with no vacuum corrections.
Hi, I was looking for a non vacuum regulator but couldn't find one. I got a 100 psi adjustable one with recommended optimal working range of 30 psi to 70 psi. 3 bar is 45 psi so it's well in the range. It has a vacuum take off but the throttle bodies on my bike have spare vacuum take offs from removing the pair system. That should work for the regulator.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk