News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

What wire wheels fit

Started by Reece, Saturday, 12 August 2017, 11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reece

Hi all just wondering if anyone has fitted  wire wheels and if so from what model.

VladTepes

Ottomans: 'Hippity hoppity, Vienna's our property"
...and then the Winged Hussars arrived.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"
YouTube:  LandyVlad Rides

Tony Nitrous

Two local guys have done it, one stock and one 8" I think ?
Seen a few done on German custom builds too.

.

Tony Nitrous

Its certainly do-able but I'd be very surprised if there was a "bolt in" option.
All I've seen needed some machining or serious mods.

I have old Suzuki hubs relaced with wider 18" rims on my GSX1100,
this gives me early GSXR size tyres so although not great suits the old girl.

On a 14 I'd certainly want 17" with a 6" rear.
I'd be looking into getting rims built onto older or custom hubs,
or possibly something like the recent wire wheel Classic Ducati wheels.

Easy option? Doubtful.
Do-able with work or money? Certainly.
.

Tony Nitrous

... another...
.

Notty

They look great but having had a thunderbird with wire wheels they are a bugger to keep clean  :smile2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Hooli

They look horrible on a modern bike, will really struggle to handle the torque if you don't ride like a pansy & will need the spokes adjusting due to that if you want them to work properly.

I'm failing to see an upside?


Oh yeah & I think the old Org had someone in Oz do it & their bike was nicked (never recovered) shortly afterwards.

grog

5 minutes today to clean/polish my wheels. if i had spokes, can remember how long it took. dont do it if only for the cleaning aspect. i dont even think they suit 14, my opinion only.

Mick_J

I think some modern bikes look fantastic with spoked wheels but I accept they are a bugger to clean.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Sweaty

Really don't think they suit the 14 at all. But each to their own.

Snapey

Quote from: Sweaty on Saturday, 12 August  2017, 09:41 PM
Really don't think they suit the 14 at all. But each to their own.

Stock 14 ... agree, but café racer style & a Robinson 4 leader on the front & a twin leader drum on the back is a different story. Keeping in mind that we're after style here & not what works best.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Tony Nitrous

Joe's ET...
.

Tony Nitrous

Joe's 1800 Kat...
.

Tony Nitrous

.

Kiwifruit

Nice looking bikes there Tony.

Back in the day when we had the Castrol 6 hour race at Manfield. Suzuki created a limited edition wire wheel, black pipe GSX1100 "special". They were the only visible mods and caused quite a stir amongst the other competitors. Many believing they been created locally.
Did you guys in Aus ever have the same over there ?
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk