GSX1400 Owners .org

Rides & Meets => Australia & New Zealand => Topic started by: GSXKING on Thursday, 08 October 2026, 08:16 PM

Title: 25th year of registration
Post by: GSXKING on Thursday, 08 October 2026, 08:16 PM
I was considering a 25th birthday for my Suzuki but ran out of time.
I think in 2001 it was $250+ dollars so considering it's more than double over 25 years and I've covered more than 180,000kms I think it's fairly cost effective.
Title: Re: 25th year of registration
Post by: Blubber on Friday, 09 October 2026, 01:05 AM
New to this.

Am i right in thinking you Aussies can pick your own time period for which you want to prepay your registration?

In the Netherlands that is not an option.
Title: Re: 25th year of registration
Post by: KiwiCol on Friday, 09 October 2026, 02:11 AM
In NZ we have the option of putting the Rego On Hold, (no cost) or registering the bike for anything from 1 month to 12 months at a time. I would not be surprised if AU ran something similar.  Our Rego is skyrocketing this year, think it's about $1000 for a large bike.
Title: Re: 25th year of registration
Post by: Roo on Friday, 09 October 2026, 04:11 AM
Quote from: KiwiCol on Today at 02:11 AMIn NZ we have the option of putting the Rego On Hold, (no cost) or registering the bike for anything from 1 month to 12 months at a time. I would not be surprised if AU ran something similar.  Our Rego is skyrocketing this year, think it's about $1000 for a large bike.

Yeah mate, $900 odd bucks !!!   (gsx1400}   I just do 3 months for Summer.  Keep ya nose clean and hopefully you don't get looked at  ???????
Title: Re: 25th year of registration
Post by: Globalrider on Friday, 09 October 2026, 04:27 AM
Count yourselves luck - before discounts and gold star rating the insurance for the 1400 for one year is CAN$1,962! I pay CAN$831 still outrageous for Third Party Liability. This is our ICBC mandatory insurance - you can take the 3rd party and put extra coverage with another insurer outside ICBC. Its a joke! and with a Provincial Election due in two weeks this is on the table! :furious:
Title: Re: 25th year of registration
Post by: Kiwifruit on Friday, 09 October 2026, 05:07 AM
Our rego is a rip off at $900. Though we do not have a compulsory insurance requirement. Col is correct you can put your rego on hold, but for example if I put my rego on hold for 3 months and then decide to re-register a week before the 3 months is up you have to back pay the rego from the first day you put the bike on hold. I wanted to put my 2 bikes on hold on alternate months so I could ride both for the yearly rego cost of one. So that is not an option.
Good old government, they love their user pays until it doesn't work in their favour. 
Title: Re: 25th year of registration
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Friday, 09 October 2026, 07:18 AM
Quote from: Blubber on Today at 01:05 AMNew to this.

Am i right in thinking you Aussies can pick your own time period for which you want to prepay your registration?

In the Netherlands that is not an option.
yes, 3, 6 or 12 months are options here in WA.  3months works out the most expensive per year, with 12 months being cheaper per annum by about 50aud.  Handy if you plan on selling and don't want to give away too much rego, but its double edged as it can be an attraction to have lots of registration left.

I pay about 800 for both bikes, the bmw being dearer as its newer, about 270 for the 1402. 

Insurance is on top although you do get ctp with the rego,  but that doesn't cover your bike.