Thanks for the add. I have a project 1400. Will be looking for advice as I go.
great introduction, feel like I know you already. :stir: :whistling:
Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 02 October 2026, 06:40 AMgreat introduction, feel like I know you already. :stir: :whistling:
Fast worker :boogie:
Gidday Ade, welcome to the forum. Project eh? Any pic's of said project? We like pic's and we like to help! :onya:
Hi and Welcome.
I assume this is the project you are talking about ?
454354567_10232251135923205_2111761657211332884_n.jpg.4c73cd372673b74f0c01623aec32a36f.jpg
Well that's different
I think I like it, the tucked away exhaust points to a well detailed build.
Quote from: Blubber on Friday, 02 October 2026, 02:07 PMHi and Welcome.
I assume this is the project you are talking about ?
454354567_10232251135923205_2111761657211332884_n.jpg.4c73cd372673b74f0c01623aec32a36f.jpg
That's her, not looking like that though.
(https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/gallery/0/1-290517235220.png)
Quote from: Mr Gee on Friday, 02 October 2026, 06:40 AMgreat introduction, feel like I know you already. :stir: :whistling:
Apologies, I did the intro on my phone and can't get as much done on that.
I'm Ade, I own my own custom bike shop in Dorset.
I sell custom parts all round the world.
The GSX came to me for some work to finish it, I liked it so ended up buying it from my mate Jimm.
Some pictures of how I got her
I have SRAD wheels just back from powdercoat to replace to odd set in it.
I have Aprilia RSV1000 radial brake upside down forks and Brembo brake calipers, with matching rear caliper.
I got a spare Bandit 1250 bottom yoke just so I could take the stem out to modify it to fit the Aprilia bottom yoke.
The RSV forks are 20mm shorter than the Bandit 1250 forks so I was looking to make a stepped top yoke but I found one in Italy that is 15mm stepped and cheaper than I could make one, if I charged myself, or a customer.
I have a King Sportster tank to fit with a DHM aero filler cap fitted.
I have a Lextek single skin 40mm tube header set. I looked at Black Widow headers and Lextek ones. The Lextek won because they came with the two link pipes and have a lifetime guarantee.
It came with an alloy plenum style airbox but it only had one 2" spout for a single pod/cone air filter.
I got a Ramair baseplate filter for twin Weber carbs and made a 3mm thick baseplate to fit the standard airbox rubbers.
Just been researching external fuel pumps, filters and regulators. It had a fuel pump fitted and I have video of it running. It came with a Bosch 044 style pump and a small regulator as well but the 044 pump is not marked, I don't know if it's a 300 lph one, or a 380 lph one, either way it is too much for a standard motor.
I've ridden one rigid bike in my life and to say it wasn't pleasant would be an understatement 😳.
I can't imagine what a kick in the nuts the first bump will be when you open the throttle on that 1400 motor 😭😭😭
Quote from: GSXKING on Monday, 05 October 2026, 09:59 AMI've ridden one rigid bike in my life and to say it wasn't pleasant would be an understatement 😳.
I can't imagine what a kick in the nuts the first bump will be when you open the throttle on that 1400 motor 😭😭😭
You haven't seen the seat I have made yet. It's just 4mm thick ally plate with 20mm race seat foam on. Not worried about comfort.
Ade, you a member of the Ironbutt then? :whistling:
Looking fwd to finished piccys. When young we used to do basic choppers, only used CB 750 Honda & XS650 Yams.Both used to come up good.
Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 05 October 2026, 02:58 PMAde, you a member of the Ironbutt then? :whistling:
No, just a masochist.
After some research this is the external fuel pump, filter and regulator I am going to try. The pump is a 4bar one for a ford Mondeo, the regulator is adjustable so I can set it to 45psi/3bar. It's vacuum fed but there are spare vacuum take offs on the throttle bodies where the PAIR vacuum tube was removed I guess. The Bosch fuel filter is for a 2l car, I hate the tiny plastic ones. If the pump isn't good enough I have found a similar one that is 5bar and 150lph flow rate. The Bosch 044 style pump that came with the bike is either 300lph, or 380lph, regulating it down to 3bar is still over 200lph flow so it's too much for a stock motor.
Well, you seem to know your stuff. Welcome aboard.
:welcome:
I was toying with the idea of GSXR1000 K1/K2 throttle bodies, or early Hyabusa ones for bigger butterflies and injectors. I'll keep that on the backburner for now and use the GSX1400 ones. I like the look of the TTS Supercharger kit but don't think it will fit in the tiny hardtail frame. It's not worth fitting the bigger throttle bodies on the standard head from what I have found so far. I like getting a vehicle to be the best it can be with standard motor and injection. I have a 105PD Seat Leon 1.9 TDI, I fitted a Pipercross panel filter, had a 2 1/2" bore CAT back exhaust made, then had it set up and Dyno mapped. Went from 103-105 bhp and 250 ft/lb torque to 152 bhp and 362 ft/lb torque, made it fun! I have a 2004 Z1000 that I fitted a Pipercross air filter, did the airbox lid derestriction mod and made a 4-1 exhaust using ZX9R headers I modified with a 60mm link pipe and 60mm straight through end can. That was remapped to 126 bhp and 69.24 torque at the rear wheel, factory figures were 127 bhp and 70.5 torque at the crank. It will be around 141/143 bhp at the crank now. The standard Z exhausts are 16kg to 18kg, my 4-1 is 6.5kg.
As I understand it the TB spacing is wrong on GSXRs to fit our engines. People seem to prefer to bore the 14 TBs out & make new butterflies.
Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 05 October 2026, 09:06 PMAs I understand it the TB spacing is wrong on GSXRs to fit our engines. People seem to prefer to bore the 14 TBs out & make new butterflies.
[/quote
Thanks, do people remove the secondary electric butterflies when they bore out standard throttle bodies? Will GSXR butterflies, or Hyabusa ones, work?
Sorry mate not sure on the details as it's not something I've fancied doing. I do know some people have removed the secondary butterflies & needed a remap to suit, but then I'm sure you'd be doing that anyway with all the other work.
Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 06 October 2026, 11:51 PMSorry mate not sure on the details as it's not something I've fancied doing. I do know some people have removed the secondary butterflies & needed a remap to suit, but then I'm sure you'd be doing that anyway with all the other work.
[/quote
Yes it will be remapped and set up on a Dyno.
Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 05 October 2026, 09:06 PMAs I understand it the TB spacing is wrong on GSXRs to fit our engines. People seem to prefer to bore the 14 TBs out & make new butterflies.
After doing some more research the GSXR and Hyabusa throttle bodies won't fit. I was talking with someone who swore blind the GSXR 100 K1 and K2 and Gen 1 Hyabusa ones were the same spacing as the GSX but they aren't. The GSXR/Busa ones are evenly spaced where the GSX1400 are set like twin webber carbs with a bigger gap in the middle. That's why I spend time doing the research. Still I haven't looked at the head yet, the 4 cylinder might be evenly spaced and it's the rubbers that are angled to fit the offset TB's. GSXR rubbers to match the TB's might be an option. I have found a set of GSXR TB's on market place for £50 might be worth buying for the bigger butterflies and injectors.