GSX1400 Owners .org

Administration & Announcements => Forum Guides => Topic started by: Astroboy on Thursday, 01 October 2026, 03:32 PM

Title: Tank Repaint
Post by: Astroboy on Thursday, 01 October 2026, 03:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone has painted a tank ?   I know the tanks were painted with a base colour, decals applied and then clear coated.  Has anyone done this ?.....If so any advice would be appreciated.. ...like if there are places like this one to get the decals from ( I know there not OEM )....I've got a professional spray painter ready to go, but was wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out ?

Thanks Mark 😊

http://motor-stickers.com/





Title: Re: Tank Repaint
Post by: grog on Thursday, 01 October 2026, 04:21 PM
Hey Mate. Havent done a 14 tank but did do a couple of Ducati. My mate also spray painter. All was good until decals on and then clear coat. Kept bubbling the decals, something to do with type of clear used.Sorry I don't know what. I bought 4 or 5 sets of stickers, they swapped clear coat,eventually worked perfectly.Not much help but that's all I know.Forgot, also did gs1000, those paint jobs all stood up well for a long time.
Title: Re: Tank Repaint
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 01 October 2026, 06:27 PM
I think MickyJB on here talked about repaintingba tank and finding the decals on ebay.

Should be straight forward for a decent spray painter
Title: Re: Tank Repaint
Post by: Mick_J on Thursday, 01 October 2026, 07:02 PM
Had my tank done a year ago, had to get decals from Japan as they were 1/2 the price of uk ones, cant tell its been repainted.
Title: Re: Tank Repaint
Post by: Kiwifruit on Friday, 02 October 2026, 05:03 AM
Quite right grog, mate and I used to repair and paint bike bits, I'd do the bodywork and he'd paint them. Certainly remember the sticker issue. They'd boil up under the clear. The only way around the issue then was to use genuine factory decals.
Things may have changed in the last 40 years :confused1: