GSX1400 Owners .org

Technically Speaking => Electrics => Topic started by: Stevel3 on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 05:42 PM

Title: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 05:42 PM
Wasn't sure to put it here or bike chat. When my bike is on the trickle charger, if I touch the muffler or frame I get a small tingling. More so if my arm touches anything metal. Is it an earth issue ?
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: grog on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 06:05 PM
Just telling you it loves you already. :)
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 06:07 PM
Google AI response below after it asked if i was wearing any footwear. I only had socks on. I didn't realise that tyres don't block currents, especially when on bare concrete. I put this up here in case anyone else was getting the same thing.

Since there are no error lights on your CTEK MXS 5.0, the unit's internal microprocessor is detecting a healthy battery circuit and operating exactly as designed. The tingling you felt is simply the harmless "touch current" from the internal high-frequency switching components, which is now safely blocked by your rubber thongs.As long as the charger remains error-free, you do not need to replace it, but you should stick to a safe garage routine.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 06:08 PM
Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 19 August  2026, 06:05 PMJust telling you it loves you already. :)
:rofl2:
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Mick_J on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 06:40 PM
Being made of rubber all tyres provide insulation from earth.  There are exceptions to thar though, aircraft tyres conduct electricity as do vehicle tyres in explosive environments, bomb stores etc.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 07:10 PM
Quote from: Mick_J on Wednesday, 19 August  2026, 06:40 PMBeing made of rubber all tyres provide insulation from earth.  There are exceptions to thar though, aircraft tyres conduct electricity as do vehicle tyres in explosive environments, bomb stores etc.

Why the Motorcycle Tyres Don't Help You

The Tires Only Protect the Bike: The rubber tyres successfully insulate the motorcycle itself from the concrete. Because of this, the stray voltage builds up and stays trapped inside the metal frame of the bike.You Create a Bypass: The tyres cannot protect you. When you stand on the concrete and touch the bike, you act like a jumper lead. You create a completely new path for the trapped electricity to bypass the tyres, travel down your arm, go through your body, and escape into the floor.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: grog on Thursday, 20 August 2026, 04:03 PM
Farmer Mate had similar. He hit transformer with irrigation pipe, was trying to shake a bandicoot out. Electricity blew both his big toes to pieces. They were repaired and he actually played football again. Docs told him if he'd had rubber soled boots, power would've just gone round inside him, until he fell over, probably killed him.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Mr Gee on Thursday, 20 August 2026, 09:55 PM
If you are feeling it, then it is not, alright and needs looking into.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Thursday, 20 August 2026, 10:39 PM
Check the wiring at the headlight bowl and steering head, this is where it flexes and can rub through. Def not ok, note the generator converts the battery 12v to AC before thr regulator turns it back to DC, limiting it to 13-14v, but it carries 40-50 amps, enough to stop your heart if earthing somewhere. Also, the  coil packs use high voltage, and packing enough current to fire the spark plugs each revolution of the crank. Be mindful
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Irish in Oz on Thursday, 27 August 2026, 02:55 PM
Can your bike stand on the tyres all by itself, then it maybe insulated.
I assume when you are charging it, it will be on side or mainstand then it has a path to earth.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: grog on Thursday, 27 August 2026, 04:53 PM
Does it tingle on your Hardly?
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Mr Gee on Thursday, 27 August 2026, 05:03 PM
Shouldn't be pressing his hardly, against it. That's a bit pervy.  :rofl2:  :happy1:
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Hooli on Thursday, 27 August 2026, 08:08 PM
Quote from: grog on Thursday, 27 August  2026, 04:53 PMDoes it tingle on your Hardly?

He can Hardly feel it!  :lol:
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Hooli on Thursday, 27 August 2026, 09:11 PM
More seriously I'd say there's definitely an issue as you shouldn't be feeling anything like that from the bike
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: grog on Friday, 28 August 2026, 10:15 AM
I used to sell CTek chargers. Just remembered we did have a few faulty MXS 5 amps.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Friday, 28 August 2026, 07:38 PM
Quote from: grog on Friday, 28 August  2026, 10:15 AMI used to sell CTek chargers. Just remembered we did have a few faulty MXS 5 amps.
Could I be unlucky enough to get 2 of them. The Harley one also does it as well. I usually feel it most if I brush against the muffler on either bike.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: KiwiCol on Friday, 28 August 2026, 08:25 PM
I wonder if it's something to do with your outlet?
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Saturday, 29 August 2026, 03:58 AM
I always charge disconnecting negative from
battery
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Saturday, 29 August 2026, 05:07 AM
Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 28 August  2026, 08:25 PMI wonder if it's something to do with your outlet?
I just have to remember to wear shoes ot thongs if I'm in the garage doing stuff on or around the bikes.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: KiwiCol on Saturday, 29 August 2026, 05:35 AM
Try using a multimeter between a metal part of the bike and the floor, because that's you're doing when you touch the bike, creating a path to earth, so bang a multimeter on it & see what ya get.

Try voltage settings, ac and dc, then try continuity, there should not be any, but if there's tingling, there will be.  Test for continuity the same as you'd test a wire to see if if's broken inside it's sheath, if the meter says 0, good, if it says anything else you are heading in the right direction now.

Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: grog on Saturday, 29 August 2026, 07:33 PM
I had a read on that tingling. Not good. Only tiny amps can kill. Mate, get your house earth tested.Its on both bikes, different chargers.Get house checked👍
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Eric GSX1400K3 on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 12:04 AM
Good call Grog. Yes, milliamps is enough to cause defibrillation.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Mr Gee on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 05:09 AM
Correct.  Volts don't matter, 1volt or ten thousand. It's the Amperage that kills.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 01:12 PM
I googled and it tells me it's a common issue. It only happens when I'm barefoot or have socks on. It doesn't happen with shoes or thongs on.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: KiwiCol on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 02:56 PM
Wow, stray capacitive coupling, never heard of it, but then I'm not a sparkie, but I know who is . . .  :onya:
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 04:35 PM
Yeah when first googled it i was surprised. I didn't realise until then that it only happens without footwear. I had to test it as soon as i read it and yes, tingles with no footwear and none with footwear.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: T250 on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 05:26 PM
Quote from: grog on Saturday, 29 August  2026, 07:33 PMI had a read on that tingling. Not good. Only tiny amps can kill. Mate, get your house earth tested.Its on both bikes, different chargers.Get house checked👍

Agree Grog, mate had similar problem in his bathroom, turns out none of the pipes were bonded and the boiler socket had a faulty earth!
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 05:57 PM
I appreciate the concern, I just have to remember to not go barefoot in the garage. I'm surprised I'm the only one to not wear any footwear in the garage and have bikes on trickle charger. When i need to upgrade either bikes battery, I'll put a Predator Raptor in them. I have one in my Deluxe and with the app I can turn the battery off altogether. I don't need a trickle charger on it.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: grog on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 07:01 PM
All good Mate 👍 Only have to please yourself.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Mr Gee on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 07:05 PM
I would not, trust Mr Google

Get it checked out, before you get checked out, permanently.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: lurch on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 08:02 PM
Let me start with two points. Yes, I'm an electrician. No, I won't diagnose issues from afar while someone else does the leg work.

Using Google to diagnose potentially life threatening electrical issues isn't something I'd recommend and shocks/tingles aren't to be ignored or glossed over. I'm very familiar with what Google has called "stray capacitive coupling" and I'd be 99% sure this isn't that. Time to find a local electrician who doesn't just wire new houses.

If you're getting tingles elsewhere (e.g. taps) or odd electrical behaviour this could also be an issue for whoever operates the electrical grid in your area.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Stevel3 on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 08:06 PM
Thanks mate I'll get someone to see if they find anything that isn't right.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: lurch on Sunday, 30 August 2026, 08:16 PM
Quote from: grog on Friday, 28 August  2026, 10:15 AMI used to sell CTek chargers. Just remembered we did have a few faulty MXS 5 amps.
I had one of those. They had a tendency to stay in a high output mode and cook batteries rather than progressively ramp down.
Title: Re: Tingling
Post by: Cikik on Thursday, 03 September 2026, 05:47 PM
We've got under counter dishwasher & washing machine next to each other.if you touched both at the same time you got a proper tingle.My dvm measured 120v between them, turns out no earth on 1 of the undercounter sockets....