GSX1400 Owners .org

Technically Speaking => Fuelling => Topic started by: Buck on Thursday, 20 May 2021, 10:45 AM

Title: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Buck on Thursday, 20 May 2021, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone I'm looking for some help. I am building a chop with a k2 gsx1400 engine & I'm looking to use an external fuel pump & regulator as the original fuel pump wont fit my custom tank. Can anyone please help & point me in the right direction as to what pump & regulator I need.

All info much appreciated.

Buck 🤘

P.S I also have a k7 final edition as I just love the 14s 🤘
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: KiwiCol on Thursday, 20 May 2021, 04:22 PM
Hi Buck, I know nothing about external fuel pumps, but this same question came up recently & there was only 1 response, that was from T24, his answer is below.  Hope it's of some use to you.




I have seen external pump and regulator in turbo GSX here in turboland. The pump was Bosch "044" type, but the type of regulator I can't
remember.
But if you are going to run stock engine without turbo, you need only 1:1,  3 bar regulator, and you don't need so big pump either.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: T 24 on Thursday, 20 May 2021, 04:31 PM
Almost every external fuel pump from any fuel injected car will fit (Bosch, Mitsubishi). You don't need any high perf pumps.
The regu you'll need is direct 3 bar regulator with no vacuum corrections.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: grog on Thursday, 20 May 2021, 06:08 PM
Buck, search Quantum, they have lots of products/answers.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Buck on Thursday, 20 May 2021, 06:23 PM
Thanks alot for the info 🤘
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Blubber on Friday, 21 May 2021, 03:45 AM
The 99 / 2000 hayabusa.. has a external fuel pump for the injection. ..just to add to the search.

I opted to fit a stock 14 fuel pump in my project to hide it.

The fpr is 3bar like mentioned earlier.

Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: beekay on Friday, 21 May 2021, 07:39 AM
Some nice fab work on that frame Buck :worshippy:
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Buck on Friday, 21 May 2021, 09:08 AM
Thanks its starting to take shape  :)
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: GSXKING on Friday, 21 May 2021, 05:59 PM
I don't think I've seen a four cylindered chopper in this century. Please keep us posted on your progress  :onya: :onya:
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Ade on Friday, 02 October 2026, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone I'm looking for some help. I am building a chop with a k2 gsx1400 engine & I'm looking to use an external fuel pump & regulator as the original fuel pump wont fit my custom tank. Can anyone please help & point me in the right direction as to what pump & regulator I need.
Hi, I know this is an old post but I am in a similar situation now. What external fuel pump and regulator did you get in the end?
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Barbastro K6 on Friday, 02 October 2026, 04:31 PM
A very feasible pump due to its easy external placement and with an external filter is the Yamaha FZ-FZX750.
See your workshop manual for more details.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Ade on Saturday, 03 October 2026, 01:58 AM
Quote from: Barbastro K6 on Friday, 02 October  2026, 04:31 PMA very feasible pump due to its easy external placement and with an external filter is the Yamaha FZ-FZX750.
See your workshop manual for more details.
[/quote
I looked at those and they only flow 60 lph. The GSX pump flows 100-120 lph. Some specs I have found say 80-110 lph. One spec sheet I found said 140 lph. I am looking at the Walbro GSL range, they come in different flow rates from 130 lph through to around 450 lph. I am thinking of a 150 lph, or 200 lph that I can turn down on the regulator. That way if it needs increasing when I get it Dyno mapped I will be able to set the flow right.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Ade on Saturday, 03 October 2026, 02:06 AM
I have a Ramair baseplate panel filter with a custom 3mm baseplate to use the original airbox rubbers. I have Lextek 40mm headers with two link pipes, not sure on end cans yet. I will modify the link pipes and make end cans to suit my hardtail frame. It's tiny compared to a stock GSX. Old school 1980's/1990's hardtail original streetfighter style. SRAD wheels and Aprilia RSV1000 radial brake front end with Brembo brakes. I have the matching rear Brembo caliper to go with the front ones.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Blubber on Saturday, 03 October 2026, 03:46 PM
For my 1400 project i will be using the external fuel pump and regulator of an early Hayabusa. The 1999 and 2000 model. After that they went to the in-tank version. They look like this is you want to keep it OEM
Screenshot_20261003_074328_eBay.jpg
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Ade on Tuesday, 06 October 2026, 10:54 PM
Quote from: T 24 on Thursday, 20 May  2021, 04:31 PMAlmost every external fuel pump from any fuel injected car will fit (Bosch, Mitsubishi). You don't need any high perf pumps.
The regu you'll need is direct 3 bar regulator with no vacuum corrections.
Hi, I was looking for a non vacuum regulator but couldn't find one. I got a 100 psi adjustable one with recommended optimal working range of 30 psi to 70 psi. 3 bar is 45 psi so it's well in the range. It has a vacuum take off but the throttle bodies on my bike have spare vacuum take offs from removing the pair system. That should work for the regulator.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Ade on Thursday, 08 October 2026, 05:53 PM
That is the fuel pump I went for, it's a Fuel Parts pattern pump for Ford Mondeo 2.0l to 2.2l. The regulator is vacuum fed but I have spare take offs on the TB's and a Bosch filter for a 2l Ford.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: grog on Thursday, 08 October 2026, 06:38 PM
Ade I have external filter on 14, very compact, cleanable. Just thought might suit yours.
Title: Re: External fuel pump & regulator
Post by: Ade on Thursday, 08 October 2026, 07:51 PM
Quote from: grog on Yesterday at 06:38 PMAde I have external filter on 14, very compact, cleanable. Just thought might suit yours.
I looked at similar ones, I might upgrade later on, spending a fortune on parts at the moment so went for an £8 car filter.