replacement fuel pump help needed.

Started by Shane Pashen, Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Pashen

Hi All
I used to be a member of the old org forums.
Sadly with a child and work, and other persoanl issues.
I dropped off the planet for a couple of years.
Even my bike didn't get ridden for a year.
Now I have more time again and I found these forums.
Old Username Pasho
Part of the problem was my bike wouldn't fire.
And I just let it sit.
I eventually have tracked it down to the fuel pump.
Now I rang Springwood Suzuki, price for an SGP fuel pump.

I was astonished to hear that they wanted.... wait for it....
Aud$727 for one.
No not a misprint.
Seriously where do Suzuki get off with this price? No point in abusing the parts guy, not his fault.

I vaguely recall from the old forums.there was a common car part that fit as a direct replacement.
Or what is a good aftermarket option. happy to spend, but not be robbed.
Can anybody help me out?
Thanks
thanks in advance

gsxbarmy

Scroll down this thread
http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=430.msg3688#msg3688

Towards the bottom of the thread you will a heading "a few notes and tips" - bullet 4 lists other pumps that will fit - reads as follows:

"4.   One other option to taking the pump apart is to reverse flush the filters with acetone. Whilst the pump is out, reverse the polarity on the pump - often dirty black gunk will come out the other end. Continue doing this until you can easily blow through it again (note this can take a number of flushes to achieve).
Rather than clean the filter â€" or if your pump is cactus, you might want to (or need to) replace it. Sourcing a good (or even any) replacement GSX1400 pump is hard â€" in fact you will probably have difficulty in finding one, and even then, will be charged a small fortune. New they are not cheap either from Suzuki themselves. Others who have been in this position have found that pumps off the GSXR750 K2-K4 are the same (all you have to do is change the base plate to the one you take out of your 14), or one off a GSXR600 K2-K4 (you may have to change the baseplate on that as well)"
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

KiwiCol

Gidday Shane, welcome to the new Org.  Here's a link to one I have saved on my ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-SUZUKI-GSX1400-GSX-1400-EFI-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-2007-FUEL-PUMP-KIT/161851880715?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Says they're out of stock, but it's in pounds so they're in UK somewhere . . .
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

T 24

Welcome Shane.
I needed more powerful pump, so I use Audi A6 1.8T & 2.4 pump. It fits straight, only electrical connektors had to change.
And the price was 86€ ( =126 AUD ).

Andre

Snapey

The $727 is for a complete filter & pump. The pump itself is cheap but it's the genuine complete article where they sting you. If it's not pumping then buy the pump but if the filter is blocked then look through the site for external filter info.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

grog

fuel pumps are mitsubishi. no real upgrade needed, they all pump lots of fuel and same pressure. just look for best price. ill search for mitsubishi part number, once knew but now forgotten. lancer etc are same or similar. place i worked at once, fuel components retailer, we imported tridon brand from canada, 13 bucks each. re boxed, sold as genuine for many brands. re boxed as high performance nissan skyline pump, retail just under a grand. its all a big rip off, electric fuel pumps work very well, each one could fuel 10 gsx 14. as for which country makes the best, good luck. our tridon were made in china, shipped to canada, then distributed worldwide.

Shane Pashen

Hi Grog
Yep, in fact, my OEM fuel pump has a Mitsubishi stamp on it.
I just ordered this off eBay for the princely sum of $28 shipped.
Hope it fits OK, it looks very close from what I can see.
That's 50X less than Suzuki genuine part, without the black filter albeit.
Sorry but that price is a F...ing joke as far as I'm concerned.

will let all know how I get on.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIFETIME-Warranty-New-OE-replacement-Fuel-Pump-Install-Kit-04-AD13/272739304838?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=571874555144&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

grog

youll make it fit mate. as Snapey said, do the external filter mod while its out. not at all difficult. so good to know hi pressure filter is clean. mines been done quite a while now, pump is quieter and bike runs beautiful. a lot of posts on this forum about bikes not revving, stuttering. people blame all sorts of things, dirty injectors etc. my opinion is that its that stupid inbuilt hi filter that causes 90% of probs. advice is often to clean tea bag pick up filter, i agree but if tea bag is dirty, so is high pressure filter. one of the best mods to do to a 14. 

Andre

northern

Quote from: grog on Saturday, 15 July  2017, 06:45 PM
fuel pumps are mitsubishi. no real upgrade needed, they all pump lots of fuel and same pressure...
@grog
What are the OEM pump numbers? ~140 LPH @40PCI?

grog

Northern, have looked but dont know. same little pumps work in 5 l. v8 so will be plenty for 14.

BlackAdder

Quote from: northern on Friday, 13 July  2018, 08:21 AM

By part number it's 100-110 LPH @3bar. The Audi pump (Bosh 0 580 314 068) old one makes 180 LPH @3bar and they are very hard to find,  the new one delivers 120 LPH @3bar. Not big of a change, especially for tuning purposes, and the 180 LPH might be a tad small on certain applications.

What comes to the size most of the pumps of that range actually fits there but some of them might be as low as 40-50 LPH @3bar and thats too low so you need to do your homework.

https://www.fugo.bg/uploaded/pdf/89-8.pdf

For performance now you can find Quantum HFP-382SH 255 LPH fuel pump that is a drop in unit. I went the other way and with slight modifications I installed Walbro GSS342 in mine, produces the same 255 LPH. Why - well it was easyer to get in here, and I have never heard of Quantum before...
...I accidentally Mordored my motor, is it bad...?

northern

Quote from: northern on Friday, 13 July  2018, 08:21 AM
I find answer to my question in service manual:

Section 4-50 - FUEL DISCHARGE AMOUNT INSPECTION
Fuel discharge amount: Approx. 1 200 ml/30 sec, what is equal to 144 LPH (liter per hour).

Searching internet, I find what for naturally aspirated engines, fuel pump productivity is calculated multiplying planned horsepower by 0.38 to determine liters per hour. It's a bigger formula, but in the end it's simply HP x 0.38 = LPH (for turbo engines, there is another value to multiply)

Let's say, my 14 with yoshi cams and full Akra should reach ~135HP. This mean pump have to be able deliver minimum 51.3 LPH.
Testing my fuel delivery system, I get ~48LPH, what according to this formula is enough ~126HP. And what is interesting - My maximum run on a dyno few week ago was 125HP...

Anyway - according to this formula, all pumps able to deliver more then 60 LPH should be OK for 1402 naturally aspirated engines.

T 24

Walbro fuel pump flow charts give 2.64 hp / LPH. That means 290 hp with 110 LPH pump or 475 hp with 180 LPH pump.
How much fuel do you need???
Only reason to use over size pump is correct your too small injectors with too high pressure (like I do, but I still don't need 255 LPH pump)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk