News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Change the Fork Seals on a GSX1400

Started by gsxbarmy, Saturday, 04 February 2017, 02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Suzuki boi on Friday, 27 September  2019, 04:08 PM
I never heated and let it cool before putting it on. Just stuck it on and tightened up :whatever:
Am I suppose to?
@black14 thanks if it's just a plain copper washer the one on it should of been fine I'm assuming.
So it's leaking because I didn't heat and cool before hand or the bolt is knackered? :whatever:

Could be either, more likely the washer though if the bolt tightened up ok
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Hooli

Copper case hardens as it oxidises. By heating to cherry red & quenching you removed the hardening making it soft again, then when you do the bolt up the copper washer can deform slightly to form a better seal.

Irish in Oz

[/quote]

For the earlier K2-4 models, the tool is easy to make, get a piece of 15mm gas pipe, file 4 arches into one end at 90 degrees to each other and you have the tool done. I may have a picture on my PC, which i'll Add later.
Or do like Simon suggests, a tapered or pointed broom handle which you can jam against the side of the cartridge will often work as well.
[/quote]

I remember watching a mate use the broom handle trick, it wedged in there and he couldn't get it out.  :lol:

Speedy1959

Oh was I supposed to remove the Broomstick??
:whistling:

KiwiCol

wooden brakes and now wooden forks, we'll have to watch out for splinters & borer next
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

Notty

Could creosote the forks so no need for powder coating or polishing?  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

grog

Just have to watch out for Greenies, cutting down trees to make wooden forks, that would upset them. Wooden worry me. My bark is tough. They can get rooted and leaf me alone. Ill fight with my limbs and put then in a trunk. After that my energy would be sapped, would branch into another area where i couldnt be ambushed.

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Hooli

gsxbarmy

OK, can we please cease this lively wood related banter, this is after all a tech help thread  :onya:

Thanks all
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

paulr5604

Hi

Just a quick question the guide states a 41mm pipe can be used to drive the new seal into place, however the outside diameter of the stanchion is 45mm can anyone confirm the diameter of pipe required please.

Andre

The stanchions are 46 mm. The seal driver size I use is 46/47 mm.

paulr5604

Andre

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 12 July  2019, 11:55 PM
Quote from: DTTW on Friday, 12 July  2019, 08:58 PM
if you would like to add Wilbers progressive spring air/oil gap on your list in the first post it's 160mm.

Thanks @DTTW , have done so  :onya:

Edited 1st post for Wilbers progressive: K2-K4: 150mm,  K5-K8: 160mm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk