News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

zed/bandit project

Started by hard road, Wednesday, 20 September 2023, 12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard road

Ive been asked to to a bit of a build thread on my latest project for anyone interested, I won't go into depth with it so it'll just be the highlights. so here goes.
I bought a low mileage 1200 bandit off my mate as a donor and a Kawasaki z1000j frame that came with a V5.
the reason for building it was to replace the one I built a few years ago and like an idiot I sold it  :rolleyes: this one is a tight budget one but my other was a much better built as I was working at the time, im on long term sick by the way.
anyway this is what I started with.

hard road

after stripping the bandit down I sold off the bits I didn't need to help with bits I would need. the engine was very clean so didn't need painting just a bit of touching up.

hard road

after getting the engine in the frame I had to make all the engine mounts out of ally

and engine in place with the Z1 bodywork loosely fitted

hard road

the next job on the list was to make the shock mounts to weld on to the swingarm

and my mate did the welding

hard road

I needed a fuel tap for the tank and I found a genuine Harley one in a box of bits that fitted the tank perfect, and also fitted in the gap between the filters and the side panel nice. (filters not fitted in this pic)

hard road

after some work on the frame I had it powder coated.

then time to fit the engine

hard road

bought a nice shiny new Blackwidow exhaust, it wont have a can on it but it does need a DB killer as its way to loud  :embarrassed: 

hard road

the bandit forks are a bit on the short side so I extended them, I made an aluminium spacer at 30mm and that fits under the damper rod with a 30mm longer allen bolt

and after rebuilding them a fresh coat of paint on the sliders.

hard road

so basically it needs a road test to see how it runs with the filters ( it has been re-jetted and set up for them) but might need a tweak !!!!  the next big job is to get it painted.
but this is where it is at the moment.

thats the short version

hard road

by the way, this is the bike I originally built that I shouldn't of sold in a moment of madness  :embarassed:   

Speedy1959

Well I must say the quality of your work is very good indeed..
I DO like the Kawasaki Z1200 you created...
Your a skillful chap, with a damned sight more energy than I have !
Well done you.

S.

hard road

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Wednesday, 20 September  2023, 01:59 AMWell I must say the quality of your work is very good indeed..
I DO like the Kawasaki Z1200 you created...
Your a skillful chap, with a damned sight more energy than I have !
Well done you.

S.

thanks speedy,  :onya:  ive built a few bikes over the years and more since ive been on the sick (four and a half years) i can't just sit their doing nowt, being in my little shed building or modifying bikes keeps me alive I think  ;) 

hard road

some of the other bikes ive built.
this is the first ZED1000

and my evil GSXR1100 that kept trying to kill me !!!!  mental bike

i built this copykat from a GSX750 inazuma frame and B12 engine

hard road

and my GSX1100ET with bandit wheels and GSXR1100 forks

and this little GSX750 I built from mostly parts I had lying around, didnt have a frame but found a 1978 GS750 one.

grog

Those last two just awesome Mate. 750 so nice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk