News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Happy days

Started by Farmhand, Tuesday, 09 June 2020, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmhand

So I've got a couple of hundred miles on my new 14, all I can say is the engine is everything I remember it to be and then some.
After ten years of riding bmw  flat twins this new experience is pretty addictive!
I've got a couple of issues though the main one being the throttle is very heavy to open making it a bit tricky to tap the power coming out of corners.
I've had the tank off and lubed all the mechanisms but it's still heavy, it snaps closed no problem though?
Secondly the adjusters on one of the shocks are seized, I've been giving them a soak in WD for a few days now maybe they will be ok or it's new shocks or a rebuild.

Cheers for now

numbskull

I've been battling with the same problem which makes it very difficult to control on small roundabouts without feathering the clutch. Also very snatchy when off-on throttle. TPS and STPS correctly adjusted, taken slack out of throttle cables etc (plenty of info on the forum).

I've just replaced the chain and sprockets, which has made the biggest difference. It's not perfect, but getting there. It is now far easier to roll in traffic at low speed. I found a couple of stiff (but not seized) links. Actual sprocket wear was minimal. How's your chain?

Farmhand

Chain and sprockets are fine, it's just that the throttle is very heavy to open.

KiwiCol

Maybe worth pulling the throttle grip off the bars, have a look in there.  Heavy to open but snaps shut . . . .   possibly some wiring loom (or something else) laying across the throttle bodys mechanism?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Kiwifruit

Try what Col suggested. I found my twist grip to be really grubby on and around the bar. Cleaned that up and she was like a new one.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Farmhand

Cheers Col and Kiwi I will give it a go tomorrow thanks

DP1400

The only time I`ve had a similar problem, (not on my `14 thankfully!), was due to a simple cable routing issue. The fact that yours snaps shut ok seems odd.

If there was no difference at all when your tank was off, and there is no change regardless of the angle of your bars, i`d try a new cable after checking that the throttle body itself is turning smoothly.

Good luck and let us know the outcome!

Farmhand

Quote from: DP1400 on Wednesday, 10 June  2020, 06:19 AM
The only time I`ve had a similar problem, (not on my `14 thankfully!), was due to a simple cable routing issue. The fact that yours snaps shut ok seems odd.

If there was no difference at all when your tank was off, and there is no change regardless of the angle of your bars, i`d try a new cable after checking that the throttle body itself is turning smoothly.

Good luck and let us know the outcome!
It's got me a bit stumped, tank off cable routes are good everything  lubed, I think I will have to dig a bit deeper.
First job is to check the twistgrip as suggested

Hooli

Slacken both adjusters off on the cables & readjust it, if they are both over tightened it makes the throttle like that.

Worth checking they are both ok though, my pull cable snapped at the right angle bit just above the throttles after about 100k & had been heavy for a while before hand.

Farmhand

Cheers Hooli I'll give that a go

Farmhand

Good day  today, I managed to free off the seized suspension adjusters.
I've  now got them sorted.
I have messed about with the cables I've soaked them with WD and adjusted  them and I reckon they are a little better but not great looks like I need some new ones, thanks for the advice

GSXKING

What age is the bike ? It may pay to get the shocks serviced  :whatever:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Farmhand

Quote from: GSXKING on Thursday, 11 June  2020, 06:11 PM
What age is the bike ? It may pay to get the shocks serviced  :whatever:
The bike is a K5,  07 plate, I think you're right I'll get the shocks serviced at some point

lawrie

The way I see it is this;  What makes it snap back sharpish??   The return spring,  what makes it heavy?  The return spring,  wouldn't think its routing of the cables etc if its snapping-back readily.
Take it apart & see whats what, & either source a weaker or shorter spring or try cutting 1 coil off, trial & error really.
I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

Hooli

The spring is ok on every other 14, which suggests it's not an issue. I know from experience that having both cables overtightened can make the throttle very heavy & still spring back quick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk