News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Chrome headers needed, Can you help?

Started by Xdiavel, Friday, 05 April 2024, 03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xdiavel

Hi Everyone,

When I bought the bike the previous owner had ridden off a high curb and crushed the bottom of cylinders 3&4 Right hand side looking forward on the bike. I had no idea how expensive 2 pieces of pipe can be  :furious:

Can anybody advise anywhere cheap I could get a new pair or a really clean second hand pair? Fowlers want £460 ouch

Thanks in advance.

Lee

gsxbarmy

Hard to find these days @Xdiavel - and the price new is ridiculous

Personally, I'd consider replacing all your headers with a set of stainless steel Black Widow headers. Quality is as good (if not better) than OEM (at least it was on the collector box I bought from them), and they are identical to those fitted to later GSX1400's (K5 onwards). Many in the past have upgraded their chrome headers to stainless with absolutely no detrimental effects. And they are easier to clean and don't rust. Plus Black Widow sell all the necessary gaskets you need, same as OEM but at half the cost or less

Just a thought - but at £150 for a set of 4 - worth a look IMO

Black Widow Headers on eBay
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Xdiavel

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 05 April  2024, 04:00 AMHard to find these days @Xdiavel - and the price new is ridiculous

Personally, I'd consider replacing all your headers with a set of stainless steel Black Widow headers. Quality is as good (if not better) than OEM (at least it was on the collector box I bought from them), and they are identical to those fitted to later GSX1400's (K5 onwards). Many in the past have upgraded their chrome headers to stainless with absolutely no detrimental effects. And they are easier to clean and don't rust. Plus Black Widow sell all the necessary gaskets you need, same as OEM but at half the cost or less

Just a thought - but at £150 for a set of 4 - worth a look IMO

Black Widow Headers on eBay

Yeah, I have a full delkavic on it atm but the headers keep  bronzing after every ride and sick of metal polishing them as they're only single skinned! The dual skinned chrome oem don't discolour and look much better so want to return it to stock. The full system has also messed my fuelling up a bit.

Cheers

gsxbarmy

Just fyi, if you find a set of the later OEM stainless headers (as fitted to K5/6/7), they are double skinned, and they wouldn't mess your fuelling as they are exactly the same build as the chrome headers - just made out of stainless.

A lot of the chrome headers rust badly, hence why there are not many spare ones around these days
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

KiwiCol

I think Snapey has some sets in his garage loft, Irish Jeff may also be able to help with headers.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

OEM stainless do stay nice without a lot of effort, mine bloody good for their age

T250

That's why when a set of original chrome headers for my K2 came up, I snapped them up, got fed up with the stainless headers tarnishing, still use the stainless collector, even though I have an original in good condition, only ride in decent weather now, so hopefully they wont rust, good to know about the later stainless ones  :onya:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk