News:

Welcome GSX1400 enthusiasts !

Main Menu

rear brake pads

Started by spizzoil, Friday, 10 February 2017, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spizzoil

do you need to have the shims on each pad as I seem to be having probs my rear brake .after fitting a viper rear brake disc it was great to good in ways . had probs with the front disc they were cheap china crap and were like a solid disc and did spend a while just using back brake and this may have run the disc down .but got new one on the way .have herd of you don't need these shims in but not sure my self .and is there a certain way to bleed the back calliper as there are two bleed nipples on this one front one rear which first or does it make no difference  :sad: :confused1:

gsxbarmy

Makes no difference on bleeding spizz, I generally always do the outside one first (cos its easier LOL) and the inner one second. Never had a problem.

AS for shims on the pads hmm. Some pad manufacturers supply shims, some don't so I'd say if yours came with them fit them.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

KiwiCol

Off Topic I know - I like your new title Barmy, very fitting.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

spizzoil

no didn't come with them and have not had any isuse with out them but all I can think now is maybe the disc has worn down with using it for so long while fronts were fracked as ive bled them twice only think of the master cylinder may have a weak spring in it so give this a go cheers all

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Saturday, 11 February  2017, 03:49 AM
Off Topic I know - I like your new title Barmy, very fitting.

hahaha Mike's sense of humour  :clapping:

KiwiCol

Did you Adjust it?  Used to say Forum Legend now it's gone.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Saturday, 11 February  2017, 04:04 PM

No - still showing on my PC / iPad I haven't changed it (rather like it actually!)

If it's not showing on your device then I'll need to let Vlad know as (saying apart) if something is supposed to show and isn't for all devices it may be something we need to look at

Kiwifruit

When I changed my rear pads recently the EBC pads had no shims so I took them off the original pads and fitted them to the new ones. No problems and just loving the feel and with more bite than the original pads.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

spizzoil

think i may have thrown them without knowing to fit to the other pads but will be getting some if needed and will now be doing the master cylinder and new rear disc mite as well do the hole thing from scratch then if it doesn't work  :confused1:back to the drawing board

gsxbarmy

Quote from: spizzoil on Sunday, 12 February  2017, 12:11 AM
think i may have thrown them without knowing to fit to the other pads but will be getting some if needed and will now be doing the master cylinder and new rear disc mite as well do the hole thing from scratch then if it doesn't work  :confused1:back to the drawing board

Spizz - you don't need the shims - leave them out and don;t worry about them. All they do is stop the "screeching" you sometimes get, without them, you just need a smear of copaslip on the back of the pad to do the same thing.

Just to advise - shims are not fitted as standard - so you don't need them on aftermarket

KiwiCol

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Saturday, 11 February  2017, 06:20 PM
Quote from: KiwiCol on Saturday, 11 February  2017, 04:04 PM

No - still showing on my PC / iPad I haven't changed it (rather like it actually!)

If it's not showing on your device then I'll need to let Vlad know as (saying apart) if something is supposed to show and isn't for all devices it may be something we need to look at

I was using my phone last night & that's where I wasn't showing - hense the post.  It's showing now I'm on the laptop.

KiwiCol

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Saturday, 11 February  2017, 08:48 PM
When I changed my rear pads recently the EBC pads had no shims so I took them off the original pads and fitted them to the new ones. No problems and just loving the feel and with more bite than the original pads.

They are a bit more grippy aye Col.  You'll just have to watch the lockup & be gentle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk