News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Quote from: Red Biker on Friday, 09 March  2018, 06:30 AM
Be interested to hear others least favourite part of their bike?

It's not made in England using proper imperial nuts n bolts.

northern

Quote from: Hooli on Friday, 09 March  2018, 07:16 AM
proper imperial nuts n bolts.
Harley use imperial nuts n bolts... Is it making those bikes proper?  :devil:

Hooli

HD used yankie crap, if it was proper imperial then they wouldn't have taken so long to learn to make Merlins properly.

grog

Least fave things. Not a lot really. I wish it had drain plugs in forks, grease nipples in head& swing arm. Fuel cap on mine, wont stand up, not sure if just mine. Most annoying

KiwiCol

what do you want to grease in the head Grog? 

Fuel cap?  That's a new one, haven't heard of that happening before. wonder what's causing it?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Kiwifruit

Quote from: Hooli on Saturday, 10 March  2018, 09:34 AM
HD used yankie crap, if it was proper imperial then they wouldn't have taken so long to learn to make Merlins properly.

:cheers: :rofl2:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

grog

kiwi, steering head for grease nipple. such a blistering typist, i missed out a word. one finger wonder actually. fuel cap open, stand up on others, mine just falls down.

Red Biker

Big day today.. started her for the first time since putting the tank back on, off to a worrying start as didn't hear the pump kick in when I turned the key but then realised the old kill switch was on 🤞lots of blue smoke due to my oil issues but ok in the end 👍

Bled rear brake and clutch but still waiting on new seals for front Calipers 😡
Cleaned and lubed chain that had been laying on the floor for a couple of weeks.

Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

gsxbarmy

Rode mine about 150 miles around country lanes and the suchlike and got it absolutely filthy and loved every minute of it!!!

Be too dark time she has cooled down, so major clean tomorrow, should take ....oooh..... 30 minutes or so with a jet wash  :whistling:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

froudy

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

KiwiCol

My gel seat pad arrived, made up a temp fitting for it (as stuffing in a sheepskin) & fitted it up on the seat.

Not convinced on the wool, & reckon the gel insert would be best fitted under the seat cover, after trimming down some of the foam that's already there.  I'll end up taking the gel to an upholsterer to fit up correctly.

I adjusted the rear suspension to softer settings. I increased the frame rate of the SJ4000 from 30FPS to 60FPS and changed the mounting for the camera. The combination of these 3 things has given me a much sharper recording - no where near as much shake / blur.

Took it for a good ride over the Port Hills & back through TaiTapu.   Then it's the black ones turn. I fitted the original bar-end weights to the Renthals by making up internals that fit.  Then move some vital requirements from 1 bike to the other, check of tyre pressures & top up.  Off we go for a spin. 

I was interested in comparing the 'comfort' as far as the wind blast goes of the 2 styles of bike, it's been blowing it's t*ts off here today. The blue has the fairing & an additional wind deflector on top. This works very well in keeping the wind blast off my body, however, (cause I'm tall) it deflects the wind directly at me lid, making it very noisy with lots of buffeting. When I lean out from behind the screen, there is less noise in me lid but more pressure overall, so this aspect was what I wanted to look into.

Riding the 'stripped back to bare bones' black was definitely quieter over all, but, doing 100 - 110k into a 70k wind was really pushing me back & I found I had to really hang when I 'inadvertantly' went above 110 by another 40 or 50. The wind force with that strong head wind on my body was very noticeable indeed. Riding with the fairing on, yes I'm getting more helmet noise & head buffeting, but the bike & myself are having a much easier time of it. Same road & same conditions. It's absolutely less tiring riding with that wee fairing, so it can stay.

The black, well, it's just for local runs at the mo, so it doesn't need one anymore.  I found it more flickable for some reason?  It's an odd thing, but I definitely noticed it, the black 'felt' more nimble through the twisties than the blue.  The blue has PR3 on & the black has Angel GT's.  BUT, the Angels are a flatter profile than the PR3's, which is unusual.  I was looking at them side by side today & the difference is very noticeable, the Angels look more 'flat' like a car tyre compared to the PR3 & they're both 50's.
Anyway - I digress (again) so that's what I did to the bike(s) today, mucked around a bit with things & rode both of them - couple of hundy k's all up.

grog

Col, adjustable clip on air deflectors on ebay, maybe what you need. First thing i noticed changing from Michys to Pirelli was how easy it tipped in.

Sweaty

Went out for a nice 300 km ride yesterday with Snapey & 12 others up to the wineries area of the Pokolbin & back the Putty rd. Good weather with 3 1400's on the ride & a good group of people. Great way to spend a day.

KiwiCol

Quote from: grog on Sunday, 11 March  2018, 04:26 PM
Col, adjustable clip on air deflectors on ebay, maybe what you need. First thing i noticed changing from Michys to Pirelli was how easy it tipped in.
I've got one of those Grog.  They definitely help, but a different screen fitting that goes higher would be the best way to fix it. The existing screen needs to be higher with a 'kick' up so the air goes over the helmet.  Course, if I was Notty's height, it wouldn't be an issue.  I can duck down lower than the screen & it's good in there, but you'd look like a try hard riding along like that.

Kiwifruit

You must be ready to replace those over used worn out number plate bolts Col.  :whistling:
Just as an aside. Had a little 3.2 at 8kms deep this evening, just enough to get that rattle going and the plants swaying.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk