News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notty

Quote from: Notty on Monday, 29 January  2018, 03:44 AM
Changed the spark plugs with mileage nearly 6K as tank gone off for repair and painting  - bike had iridium plugs fitted - service book shows running problems in 2009 and plugs changed  :smile2:
and new air filter  :)
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Andre

No like for that one - want to see a rusty full of crud filter :popcorn:

northern

Yesterday Suzuki dealer send me email, informing what spare-parts ordered before Christmas are finally arrived. So yesterday evening I went to measure existing cams shims on my engine, so I could order new ones for valve clearance adjusting after Yoshi cams were installed. It did not take much time, and same evening, at home I make an excel table, to calculate new shims size... But, I'm stupid .... - I create wrong formula and calculation went rong way!
Somehow I did not notice the fact, what my excel tells me to get thinner shims, if I want to have smaller valve clearance!  :facepalm:
So today I get some shims, which I will try to exchange tomorrow  :embarassed: and because my calculation were wrong, I would need some more shims...

What is interesting - shims inside my 14, had numbers like 158, 160, 162, 165. But (as I understand) genuine Suzuki shims are 155, 160, 165, 170 - step is 0.05mm... Strange  :confused1:

Also, long waited assembly lube is finally here. So, if tomorrow I will get right shims, then I could finally put cams permanently in  :onya:

froudy

Mine got a good clean today after two days of commuting in the rain..Loads of salt and crap on the roads again :rolleyes:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Andre

Quote from: northern on Thursday, 01 February  2018, 07:09 AM

What is interesting - shims inside my 14, had numbers like 158, 160, 162, 165. But (as I understand) genuine Suzuki shims are 155, 160, 165, 170 - step is 0.05mm... Strange  :confused1:

That strangeness is to my taste as I would want clearances matched as closely as possible. Good to know that these exist somewhere.

QuoteYoshi manual says:
IN: 0,18 - 0,22 mm
EX: 0,23 - 0,27 mm

Might be hard to hit within the ranges with the original shims.

One more thought. Measurement is prone to error. I would prefer to err on the side of higher clearance. I would shoot for IN 0.20 and EX 0.25 as minimum clearance (which will also leave you right in the middle - imo a good thing).

Spend another day in the warm, make sure your calcs are correct, and source some shims that may make the job more precise.

EDIT: Here an example https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/bestsellers/7.48-Valve-Shim?format=size Their Pro X valve shims with 7.48 OD come from 1.20 -3.50 in steps of .025 mm

northern

Quote from: Andre on Thursday, 01 February  2018, 07:43 AM

One more thought. Measurement is prone to error. I would prefer to err on the side of higher clearance. I would shoot for IN 0.20 and EX 0.25 as minimum clearance (which will also leave you right in the middle - imo a good thing).

Spend another day in the warm, make sure your calcs are correct, and source some shims that may make the job more precise.

Your point it's totally understandable, but it seems to me, what is better to try to get lower clearence (as long as they are OK). In this case, cam's should run smoother less "hitting"... IMHO.
Anyway, I will double check all clearances and If it will be needed, will replace some shims.

Yoda

Got a good set of Nissin 4pots with the intention to change over the existing 6 pot callipers. Looking forward to see if there is any betterment from this mod.
Yoda
Forgot to say the front end is a 1st gen busa

Andre

Quote from: northern on Thursday, 01 February  2018, 08:05 AM

Your point it's totally understandable, but it seems to me, what is better to try to get lower clearence (as long as they are OK). In this case, cam's should run smoother less "hitting"... IMHO.
Anyway, I will double check all clearances and If it will be needed, will replace some shims.

@northern  I edited (added a shim source) my previous post!

You are right as in "you get less ticky ticky" but you buy that with a higher risk to burn your valves, especially in a performance tuned bike.

QuoteThere is some debate on user forums about the value of setting motorcycle valve clearances to a spec at the ends of their factory-recommended ranges. As a lifetime tech, the fact that this is even questioned surprises me. It is well known among career motorcycle mechanics that targetting the large end of the valve adjustment range is always a good thing, never a bad one, and in a few special cases, even critical.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/valve_clearances.html

I have heard/read this in many places.

seth

Quote from: northern on Thursday, 01 February  2018, 08:05 AM

if i remember correctly the valve clearances wear tight not that they wear much .
hopefully you'll get them as close to spot on as you can but if you have to go to lower limit i would reshim to leave a slightly bigger clearance (within spec) rather than tighter .
good luck with it all and look forward to seeing your results once its re-runin .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

northern

So... You, guys, make me think it over... Tomorrow (at work [emoji846]) will read more about this and maybe recalculate shim required sizes.

Thx for advices!

Hooli

I'd aim for the centre of the range too.

The engine will be designed for that, with an allowable error to the limits of the range.

Red Biker

Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Globalrider

I need to go somewhere I've not been but won't know until I get there!

grog

Red Biker

Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk