News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwifruit

Mate of mine is a riding instructor.
He spends much of his life teaching patched up gang members who have ridden for years unlicensed to get up to speed for their restricted m/c license test. They arrive and park up their mega dollar Harleys to then hop on a learner approved 650 VStrom for their lessons   :facepalm:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

grog

Funnily Kiwi, late 80s i was mechanic for driving school. Busses,trucks, earth movers,cars n bikes. Same story, rehabs rode in on Hardlys, then faced my Yam 250s to get a licence.I got on well with them,best was, i asked one bloke, track had come off bulldozer, me fixing, i asked how long in prison and reason.Answer, hed done 25 yrs for double murder, end of talk, i just fixed the track.

Ultramagnus

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 22 April  2024, 05:57 AM
Quote from: Ultramagnus on Monday, 22 April  2024, 03:14 AMI tried to clean the ferrules on the front disc as well since they are all rock solid, but I couldn't make them move freely, so I will have to do some research on how to do that properly.

Ferrules = Bobbins?  If so, here's a link to cleaning those.  https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=211.0

I don't use the nut & bolt method myself, I use a nail punch inserted into a battery drill, stick the tapered portion into the hole & medium speed turn them whilst using brake cleaner to wash out the gunk.  Sometimes I'll use CRC or WD40 first & finish off with brake cleaner. Never had an issue with contaminated pads.

Bobbins! =)

I tried the bolt & nut method, got two to move, but not much and not so that I could spin them with fingers only.

Was thinking about using WD40 or 5-56 since it will not evaporate and have time to losen up the gunk in the bobbins, never did it though.
Will do it now, after newly found confidence in your comment!

Hooli

I don't think mine have ever spun with just finger pressure. There's thin spring washers in there too, I think someone managed to break one by over cleaning the bobbins & the disk ended up flopping about & had to be replaced. As long as you can wriggle the disk side to side slightly then I'd say they're ok.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk